PDA

View Full Version here: : Dew Heater Question

Waxing_Gibbous
27-06-2010, 11:26 AM
My telescope's dew-shield is the sliding type that cannot be removed. Do I attach a dew heater to the outside of the shield and leave it fully extended, or retract it back and secure the strap to the objective housing?
Ta!
Peter

hotspur
27-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Peter.

Sounds like the type of hood set up on o WO refractor,Extend your hood and position the dew heater strip immediatley behind where it steps off on to the main tube,from what I have seen its a little further away from the front lens but no issue,just turn your zapper up.

I have had a bit of trouble with mine and recently purchased a new set (4) strip heaters from an Amercian mob called 'dew-not',much cheaper than the mor known brands and get a good write up.

hope this helps,Chris

Waxing_Gibbous
27-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Chris,
Ta! Dew-Nots I've heard of but not read anything.
I shall fossick the net!

Davros
27-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Anyone have a link to Dew-Not

hotspur
27-06-2010, 06:57 PM
google 'dew-not' lower case with the dash like I have done here,it should be the first hit,I got it straight away,I will go through my files,if you can't find it.

I am sure I have the internet address in my observatory,if you have difficulty I am happy to get it.

My friend just ordered a heap for 6 of us in S.E QLD,the prices from them a very reasonable,I got 2 4 inch and 2 1 and a 1/4 inch $110

May I suggest Geoff Johnstone on this forum who makes the heater controllers in Brisbane for a very reasonable price,to a very high standard.

He just had a ad in the Classifieds for a Vixen NA 140 refractor that will have his contact details.If you cant find it let me know via PM and I will give you his phone number.

Happy astronomy and no dew to you,Chris

hotspur
27-06-2010, 07:45 PM
www.dew-not.com (http://www.dew-not.com) should get you there.

Geoff is geoffjohston on this forum,I think I paid $60 for his dew controller,but do not quote me on that.Its got 4 outlets,but he can make them with 6.

hope this helps

regards Chris

hikerbob
27-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I've got dew-not's and love them.

Bob

WadeH
30-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the link Chris, it sure looks like a very good system. However, with a cigarete plug conection I can not understand what you use as the power source if your car is not next to the scope.
Excuse the silly question if the answer is obvious.

hotspur
30-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Wade.

If you go to Dick Smith or Jaycar or similar electronics shop you can by a simple adaptor plug for $8 or $10 dollars,the end with the cigarrette plug will simply take the end that goes into it.(I will try and post some photos)

The Chap that makes the heating unit on this forum (Geoff Johnstone) has done away with that cigarrette end and has the red and black cables with aligator clips that simply clip on to a dry cell battery,

I will get some pics up for you.
Chris

WadeH
30-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the response Chris, I thought it would be something simple.
This unit sounds like the way to go.

hotspur
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Here Wade,some pictures of the cables you need,they come in different lengths-something that you need to take into account,Although at the price they are,one could afford a few different lengths.

I think the larger one,which looks more heavy duty was around $12

they are very useful for camping and fishing holidays too,We used one on a large sealed lead acid battery connected to a large spot light,all connected in the back of a ute,it saved having a long cable,that usually goes to vehicle battery,and gets tangled up.So a very handy piece of kit