PDA

View Full Version here: : Reversing Rings for Macro

barx1963
18-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I know this is slightly non astro but I know there are a few of you out there who are more knowledgable about macro photography than myself. I have been playing around w bit with some macro and I have read about using reversing rings to increase power of lenses.
Anyone had experience with these? I am aware that the electronics (auto focus and aperture) no longer function and the aperture has to be set manually then the lense and ring attached.
My current kit is

Canon 400D
EF 50mm lense f1.8
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm

Fairly basic kit I know, but I am having fun with closeups and would like to stretch the capabilities of my kit as far as I can before spending lotsa money.
Also does anyone know of a retailer that sells these types of items? Also looking at extension tubes and bellows.

Waxing_Gibbous
18-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Malcom,
Reversing rings will work fine with the 50mm 1.8 (or any othe prime-focus lens for that matter) though I found them to be very fiddly and not really as good as a dedicated Macro. Close-up lenses, that you attach to the front of the lens work as well, but can cause vignetting if you add too many.
Unfortunately, you won't achieve anything like true Macro with the zooms as the lens design and spacing of the elements mitigates against it.

asimov
18-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I have a set of close up lenses but the DOF is super short so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

barx1963
18-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks Peter
Roughly what I thought, unfortunately the budget isn't stretching to a good quality macro lense at this stage, so have to do what I can!

Waxing_Gibbous
18-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Forget everything I just wrote!
A recent auto accident has scambled my brain:lol:

I was thinking of extension tubes not reversing rings.
I don't think you can use reversing rings with EF lenses as the apeture can't be set on the lens body.

troypiggo
18-06-2010, 03:31 PM
You can trick the lens into fixed aperture by setting what aperture you want and remove the lens while holding down the depth of field preview button.

troypiggo
18-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't have any experience with reversing rings or bellows, but I started out with extension tubes on a 50 f/1.8 lens. If you don't want to fork out for a dedicated macro lens at this stage, I'd go the tubes and the 50 combo. Working distance is frustratingly close, but it's do-able.

At the sort of apertures you'll want to get a decent depth of field and shutter speed to freeze movement, you might want a flash to help getting enough light. Unless you use pretty high ISOs.

barx1963
18-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks Troy.
I had figured the trick of setting the aperture. It does work.