PDA

View Full Version here: : Are there such thing as DOB GOTO'S?

Jimmy
24-01-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi! What is the largest aperture goto you can buy (like a 250mm DOB with goto or something - not too overpriced if you know what i mean)!!!!!!!!!

iceman
24-01-2005, 06:13 AM
It depends whether you mean a DOB (as in, the base), or a newt (as in, the OTA).

You can buy a dob, and then later down the track, put the OTA (the tube) on an EQ GOTO mount to get your tracking + GOTO.

Or, you can get Equatorial Tracking + GOTO systems that drive the dob base itself. The EQ tracking is in the form of an "Equatorial Platform", it's a base that sits UNDER your existing dob base and rotates across with the sky to give you tracking, however you still aim your dob as normal (push/pull/tilt).

You can also get a "Push To" system for a dob that some people call "Digital Setting Circles", which is where there's no tracking, no GOTO, but a computer tells you when you're pointing in the right direction for the object you want.

You can also get GOTO systems that drive + track your dob base, I think servocat, dob driver II, plus some others can do this.

For EQ tracking and/or GOTO, you're looking at AU$1000 or more for your dob base. This still isn't bad, considering you'd be looking at AU$2000-$3000 for a solid EQ mount with goto that will hold a large newt OTA.

I'll be examining all of these options carefully in the future when I decide I want goto + tracking.

mch62
24-01-2005, 08:08 AM
You can also get a do it your self System from well known amateur astronomer and telescope maker Mel Bartel.
He sell 2 systems a Servo and a Stepper system .
All you have to do are some modifications to your existing Dob base .
It is most probably a better alternative if you have some scope experience but plenty of newbies have performed the changes required.

The cost would depend on how much you can source your self or he can supply all the drive components for you to fit and modify to suit your Dob.
The systems work stand alone or with a computer for full Go-To. You supply the computer.-, and it can interface with popular star charts.
You can have push and track or full Go-To and alt Az or EQ track.
It is a very versatile system that does every things required and is intended for the financially challenged of us or if you enjoy doing it your self.
I have included a couple of links.
I have one of the Servo Systems and am in the middle of building a rather large fork mount for my Newtonian.
Pics will be posted as I near completion.

http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/#limitedwarranty
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scope-drive/

There are literally thousands of his systems around the world and some of the commercial ones available are variants under license of his Systems.

The other alternative is to buy one of the commercial systems mentioned by Iceman .
Some of these come in a kit to suit a particular Dob manufacturer and don't require as much self input.

Even if your not interested in do it your self ,there are lots of info in the links to explan Go-To Dobs and scopes in general.
Mark

ballaratdragons
24-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Jimmy,

Argo Navis make a set-up for Dobbers. And they are Australian! :cool2:

www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Vermin
24-01-2005, 06:32 PM
ArgoNavis is an excellent digital setting circle computer - it has no tracking you have to push.

It will interface with the Servocat tracking system, and this is what I plan to do to my 16" Dob when I get it built.

I already have the Argo hooked up to my Televue Panoramic mount.

Astro_Guy
25-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Bill Dankmeyer of Denkmeier Optical is a big fan of the ArgoNavis + Servo Cat system.