PDA

View Full Version here: : Any C14 G11 users out there?

el_draco
07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Looking for ACTUAL users on the above combination. I am thinking visual and hyperstar use, observatory based. Is the C14 to much for a G11? :shrug: I've heard a couple of views and it would appear that the G11 can handle the OTA, but, then again, maybe not....

Rom

Octane
07-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Rom,

You need to speak to Frank (spearo). He has a C14 on a G-11 and gets pinpoint round stars when imaging with his STL-11000M. It's maxed out with counterweights from memory, but, it does work. And, works well.

I'm sure he'll see this thread and offer his view.

H

el_draco
07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that,

Have sent a pm.

Rom

ericwbenson
10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi, I have a G11 mount + C11 and C14 OTAs. For visual the mount will handle the C14, but it is pretty shaky, make sure you are protected from the wind. Also the high magnifications of the C14 expose any backlash you've got in the system. Imaging would be very difficult with this combination. Video would be possible but could get frustrating for someone starting out. The C11 is held much more comfortably, you can even do long-exposure imaging with this combination, although some finesse will still be required.
Some pics taken with the C11+G11 can be found here
www.faintgalaxy.com/astrophotos.htm
There are a few C14 pics there too but they were taken on a PME.

Good luck,
EB

[1ponders]
10-06-2010, 10:15 PM
There is a C14 on a G11 at the Mapleton Observatory on the Sunshine Coast. There was a C11 mounted up until 6 months ago. The C14 is a significant increase in physical size, but the G11 handles it reasonably well. Balance is critical. As ericwbenson suggests video for planetary or luna would not be a problem. But unless you area going to hyperstar I would suggest that the C14 is going to be too challenging on the G11. It is a significant focal length.

el_draco
11-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I have had a bloke from the states send me an image taken with a G11 carrying about 75kg of gear and counterweights. Pinpoint stars but probably not a long focal length. If I do the C14, it'll definitely be visual/hyperstar only, and in a dome. I've used a C11/megrez 80mm on a DSBS and found that pretty stable but I am more intimidated by a C14, especially with any other gear on board. I'd be interested in hearing about visual experience witha C14 compared to a C11. Bugger of a decision to be made and I appreciate the input

Rom