PDA

View Full Version here: : Auto Guiding Question

BlackWidow
28-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I have a Toucam that I have done the SC2 Mod and plan on using it to guide on my LX200... I just wanted to know if any Web Cam could be used to guide via software like K3CCDtools. I am assuming that the Parallel cable on the mod I have done is to control the long exposure stuff and has little to do with locking on a guide star.. Could somone just clear that in my mind. Strange really, but I have no trouble following the instructions to do the mod. I have setup the software and it locks into a star talks to the scope and yet I am not sure whats really happening... I just now it's working and knew how to put it all together.. The long exposure side works and had no trouble setting up the ports... Just waiting for my wedge to be made before putting all this into practice. This question is really to settle a little conversation I had with a friend. Your help would be appreciated... It might win me a drink..

Cheers
Mardy

[1ponders]
28-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Mardy.

I believe you are correct about the parallel cable. Long exposure is all. I used a stock standard ToUcam 840 for a long time with K3CCDTools. They worked together a treat. I didn't find I needed a mod to find a suitable star. Whether it was my mount controls or just my awkwardness with the K3 Drift Explorer settings, but I found it very hit and miss with autoguiding. Some nights it would guide like a dream and others were nothing but frustration. I thank the stars the day Stark Labs came up with PHD Guiding. I've never gone back to K3 for guiding since.

I still use K3 for other things, wouldn't be without it really, but not for guiding.