PDA

View Full Version here: : Mount advice for new SCT

sejanus
27-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi Guys

I think it's been a long time since I posted here!

I haven't stopped observing, I have a 8" bintel dob I've been using.

I went through a fair bit of gear a few years ago, SCT's and even a 16" LB which was fun but got a bit too big for me.

I think I had the most fun & use though when I had a SCT on a EQ mount. So I'm looking into doing that again, and sticking with it.

From looking into it I can get a SCT ota from overseas landed a bit cheaper than here, so I'm probably going to go with either a 10" meade or the 11" celestron. The mounts are too heavy though so I'll buy those locally.

So the million dollar question is what mount?

In the $1500-3k bracket we seem to have ;

- The Eq6 ($1899)

- The HEQ5 ($1299)

- A Celestron CGEM mount (not sure if this is just a rebranded mount?). Not sure on individual price, think I'd need to buy it as a package locally rather than buying the OTA from o/s.

- The Losmandy GM8 - but I think you need to add the computer etc. to it?

I used to have a Eq6 and once they sorted the bugs out in the software and I got my head around it I got on pretty well with it.

cheers

Gav

TheCrazedLog
27-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I must admit I do love my EQ6 with EQDir, but you will need a computer for the EQDir bit.

I went with the EQ6 over a C8 + CGEM because with the EQ6 I could carry any scope I could ever look to own realistically (no, owning a 30" dob is not realistic for me, sorry :D). It can take the ED80 or the Bintel 10" dob, hell it could probably take both.

iceman
27-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Gav! Welcome back!

Merlin66
27-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I've just gone through a similar exercise with a 10" Lx OTA - tried the trusty HEQ5pro, but no way could it support the 14.7Kg plus accessories!
Bought a NEQ6pro to do the job, fitted the wider Losmandy saddle plate and extra counterweights. Great solution! ( Lifting and locking such a heavy OTA onto the mount is a task in itself! You need at least three hands!)
To better match the spectroscope, I've just replaced the 10" with a Celestron C9.25 ( Much lighter at 10Kg) and fitted a safety bar to the dovetail - makes it much easier and safer to mount the scope.

Ken

RB
28-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Good to see you back Gav.
It's been a while, last time we met was at the Paint Ball place.
We meet at the Pony Club now, if you're ever up this way.

I think last time you were thinking of getting into imaging, you're going to need a very solid mount if you're going to do any serious imaging with a 10"/11" SCT.

I'd be looking at a G11 but as you know, it's more expensive.

sejanus
28-05-2010, 08:13 AM
hey guys, thanks for the info.

Andrew - G11 is a fair bit of coin :p Looking on bintels site looks like it's $5149 for the mount with goto. Not sure I could swing that one. By the time I get my OTA and some bits I'd be near 10k.

bmitchell82
28-05-2010, 11:19 AM
At the end of the day you have to look at what you have, what you want to do and what you are prepared to do!

If your not prepared to move to a G11, perhaps reduce the size of the telescope and go with a EQ6 and say a small 8" SCT/RC? for 3k you can see yourself with a EQ6 and GSO RC8 high quality kit.

because a 10" + you will be struggling on anything less than a G11 quality bracket!

I always say this to people who are looking to get going on AP, do you want to take a few happy snaps for the photo album to look at in 10 years saying yeah i did a bit of that once apon a time? or do you want photos you print out and hang on your walls for your visitors and yourself to go wow, that is absolutely amazing!?

as soon as you answer that question your focus will be set clear!:thumbsup:

RB
28-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I understand where you're coming from Gav, I know, getting into AP is a bottomless pit.
Brenden is correct in what he posted.
I would suggest reducing the load if you're looking at the mounts you suggested.

The first rule in AP is that you buy the best mount you can afford, it is the most crucial part of the system, even if you have to lower your sights and go widefield.

A large SCT is very taxing on even the better mounts, at those focal lengths, if you intend to get seriously into AP.

:)

sejanus
28-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Well, AP is not the be all and end all for me. In fact I actually prefer wide field stuff with slr lenses than the narrow field of view of a sct. I prefer the EQ mount for visual than a fork mount as well - photography aside even. The fork mount setup is such a bugger to put in the car - even though the EQ mount is heavy at least it retracts/folds up easily.

food for thought though, thanks guys. I'll check out the 8" options, though I'd prefer the 11 for visual :)

MuntiNZ
28-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey Ken mate where did you score the white extention thing?
My old flatmate brought a EQ6 and the only extention he could find was black.
So did you paint it or what?
Gotta say the EQ6 is actually pretty good for what it is and it really surprised me and I have a Tak mount!
Top value for the coin imho.

madwayne
28-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Gav

Hi mate, hows it going?

Not sure if you remember but you bought a dob off me a couple of years ago when I lived at Miranda. I am at Waterfall now, or at least for the next few weeks. If you have this SCT or get it in the near future shoot me a pm and I'll give you my address and phone number and you can come over with your scope to give it a test run on my EQ6 if that helps. Heck I can even supply a couple of Naglers to look at things with if you like. I do have a bit (ok alot) of stray light but still you can have a look at the South and East comfortably from the front patio and have a glass of red too if that tickles your fancy.

Mind you an 11" SCT weighs in at alot more than my FSQ and imaging gear so I might be pushed for counterweights, but you never know what I have in stock.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of astro and good to see you back on the boards here.

Wayne

sejanus
30-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey Wayne, thanks mate. Not sure if I'll have it by then though. Will let you know if I do!

sejanus
30-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Well, there goes my idea for getting the OTA from overseas. Shipping is $500 usd. Thats crazy, I imported a subwoofer a while back that is many times bigger and weighs nearly 10x what the c11 ota does and it was $260 usd.

asimov
30-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, the equipment may be cheaper to purchase OS but the shipping just about kills the idea!

acropolite
30-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Gavin, have you considered the G11 without Goto and fit an Argonavis, Paul [1Ponders] has this setup. The G11 without Goto is only $3500, the AN and encoders will set you back another $1K.

As an added bonus you could fit encoders to the dob and use the AN on that as well.

sejanus
30-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I think 4500 or higher for the mount would be too much unfortunately. I spend that sort of coin and more on camera lenses without even blinking as I make money from them :) But I think I need to stick with the EQ6 or GM8 sort of pricing, as I need to allow for the cost of the ota as well.

I did have a argo on my old LB16, great bit of kit.

sejanus
30-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Leaning heavily towards the CGEM mount, been doing a lot of reading today on it. The any star polar align feature looks very helpful.

Then the question is 9.25" or 11"? I guess smaller would be better for photos but would I always be wondering if I should have gotten the extra aperture?

I've used a 11" but not a 9.25. This would probably be 80% visual 20% photography. I think I'd prefer to piggyback my dslr with a widish lens rather than shoot through the scope all the time.