PDA

View Full Version here: : Spammers

wasyoungonce
21-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Sorry Ice man..but spammers are getting too much of a free ride ATM.

Does anyone have constructive ideas on how to stop them...aka they (new sign ups) cannot post for the 1st day...something simple?

It's just a thought.

I hate spammers:mad2:

seeker372011
21-05-2010, 07:35 PM
dont sweat it, i just reported them, sure the mods wil get on it asap

wasyoungonce
21-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah same here. Is it me of are they increasing their activity.

mithrandir
21-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Spammers are among the scum of the earth.

Until they start posting you can't tell they are spammers. The only thing that might work would be moderating the first say 10 posts for every user. That should be long enough to recognise them, and would stop the post-and-run crowd.

GTB_an_Owl
21-05-2010, 07:44 PM
just hit the red button chaps - don't take long for the boy's to come a runnin

geoff

wasyoungonce
21-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Moderation is an intensive thing to do...and this forum gets quite an interest from OS and many are 1st posters with quite a bit of experience. So mu idea...limits on posting for the 1st day is out.

Hate to see that experienced chased away.

Sigh!

Liz
22-05-2010, 08:58 AM
It would be sad for new members not to post straight away to say hi, or ask a question. I would be peeved, and not come back.
Just ignore the spam, and go to the next post, or hit the red cross if ya want. Not worth worrying about ;)

RB
22-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think it would be a good idea to implement a 1 day no post policy.
All that will happen is that they will post on the second day and will stop the legitimate users from posting on sign up.

Mike and Terry already have a good security system in place on IIS to limit spammer sign ups and whatever gets through the moderators pickup even before they post anything.

You don't get to see a lot of the spam posts, they don't last long on here.

What you see posted is the very few that slip through the 'net' on rare occasions while we're not online.
On these occasions the members report them and we get an email alert which we act on asap.

:)

wasyoungonce
22-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks folks...I didn't think much of my idea as well. Just opening up discussion.

Did I mention I abhor spammers!

iceman
22-05-2010, 05:20 PM
You'd be surprised how many we catch before they even post!

Or who last less than 5 minutes before they're banned.

Yesterday there were just no mods on for a short time so the spammer lasted longer than usual, but don't worry - we're on top of it.

wasyoungonce
22-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Wot...you time off for dinner...:juggle:

TheDecepticon
22-05-2010, 06:33 PM
On another forum that I am a member of, they have a software moderator for the first several posts to have the system get to know you. It seems to be very effective. Maybe that is something to look into.:shrug:

multiweb
23-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Yep - good idea. If the very first [x] posts contain any "http://" can it. :)