PDA

View Full Version here: : C9.25 SCT (ota) - early impressions/review

Robert_T
13-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi All, well I've had the C9.25 OTA (with XLT coatings) for nearly a month now, long enough to get a feel for the OTA and it's potential and thought it worth jotting down some early, highly subjective, impressions in no particular order and with very little rigour :P.

Introductory comments

While I've had many different scopes over more than 25 yrs of interest this is the first SCT I've ever owned. The lure for me (as I see for Rumples and others) was the purported high quality and plantetary imaging potential of the 9.25 among the ranks of other SCTs. So far I haven't been dissapointed, in fact I've been pleasantly surprised. :) Having become accustomed to Takahashi quality of my Mewlon DK cassegrain I was pleased to find the C9.25 to have a robust feel (even moreso than the Tak in some respects - for eg the close fitting metal corrector cover vs the vinyl shower cap style cover of the Tak) and a similar level of fit and finish. It looks good, it feels good and it exudes solidity and quality! I've yet to fully explore the optical performance and capabilities, but a few glimpses under rare good seeing promise many good things to come!

Out of the Box

The OTA was despatched to Brisbane via Aust Post from Andrews Communication in Sydney - it was well packed and arrived in pristine condition. Accessories included the fitted dovetail plate, a 24mm plossl, 1.25in diagonal, 30mm finder scope, The Sky intro planetarium software and 1.25in visual back.

I quickly set the OTA up on my pier mounted EQ5 and breathed a sigh of relief that this mounting seemed to handle the weight effortlessly and with damping less than 2 sec (on the 2in tripod legged LXD75 damping is even better). Most of the vibration rests with the orange aluminium dovetail plate which might have to be replaced one day, but it's really a minor niggle for now. With some trepidation I gazed down the OTA at the primary from a couple of meters distance superimposing the secondary on it's shadow and was very relieved to see nice concentric shadow rings emanating out from the secondary to the primary edge indicating close to perfect collimation! :)

Having already become a "bobs knobs" collimation junkie I had got the knobs before the OTA and so fitted these and easily tweaked the collimation back to near perfect alignment before taking the new beasty outside.

Under the big black (or more correctly, light polluted grey blue)

My immediate thought looking at the "toy-like" 30mm finder scope was "this will have to go". But on using it I found it bright, clear and easy to align with easy to see cross-hairs. Sure if I were a deep sky junkie it wouldn't do, but for my planetary passions it's actually not too bad at all :P.

A big plus is that the collimation of this C9.25 is easier than with the Tak - I don't know exactly why, but the knobs turn easier and the movement of the secondary is consequently smoother and collimation more "controllable".

The focusser is smooth and only produces a small amount of mirror image shift - perhaps a little more than my Mewlon, but it's very good in this regard. At 640 x480 on the Neximage chip with a 2.5 x powermate it only jogs around 1/4 to 1/3rd of the chip breadth when reversing focus.

I made up a DIY dewshield from black laminate (see below) which was fiddly to fit and does get in the way of my collimating addiction. The first couple of nights I had the scope out were dry so I ditched the dewshield and could tweak away at will. Unfortunately I've since discovered dew of such an attitude that it looked at my feeble dewshield and laughed in contempt :lol:
Damn that dew - anyway, I quickly ordered an Astrozap combined dewshield and dewzapper and a Kendrick controller (more on those when they arrive) in the hope of beating the dew blues.

Some light

Ok so I've only really had three good nights of viewing, and I can't say I've achieved perfect collimation or had a cracker night's seeing, but as I hinted at earlier I'm impressed with the views. Star images in good seeing are fine very similar to that I get through 1/20th wave optics of the Mewlon. Images are noticably BRIGHTER. And when it come to Mars I've had glimpses of detail (such as the finer bits of Solis Lacus) that I simply haven't been able to see visually with any of my other scopes - this I attributed mainly to the slightly larger aperture that makes finer resolution possible, the specific primary<>secondary Fratio combination that makes secondary collimation easier, and optical quality that if not exactly tak quality is really not that far from it either. The images I've obtained on Mars with only a small amount of familiarisation are (I feel) as good as those obtained with the Tak Mewlon 210 when Mars was at equivalent size before opposition.

In sum

It stacks up well and can hold it's head high in any company. Worth noting too that at ~$2400-2500 AU it represents excellent value for money compared with many other alternatives. All in all I'm very happy with the C9.25 and am looking forward to being able to use it under conditions that will show off it's full potential. Thanks for reading!

iceman
14-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Nice review Robert, if you'd like to chuck it in a word document and email it to me, it'd be great as a review on the site!

Robert_T
14-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks Mike - I'll get something slapped together in Word and e-mail it over. Might be a couple of days though, got a lots christmas parties to get through:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

matt
14-12-2005, 11:43 AM
That's a good review Rob

With my 9.25 only days away I'm particularly happy to read positive comment:)

Robert_T
14-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Good luck with it Matt - you shouldn't be dissapointed (I hope):D

asimov
14-12-2005, 11:35 PM
A very nice review Robert. I love the quality look of the 9.25". It's interesting to note it rides the EQ5 no worries.

matt
15-12-2005, 05:09 AM
Rob

Shouldn't be disappointed .... you hope

????????

You're frightening me:scared: What could I possibly be disappointed about with the 9.25?

Robert_T
15-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks Asi - I wouldn't want this baby on the EQ5 and the ol'd aluminium jelly-legs, but slip a pier (or even a decent tripod) underneath it and it copes admirably :)

And don't worry Matt, no doubt you'll love it. I'm always a little cautious about assuming other peoples reactions will be the same as mine - all about expectations I guess. There's a bit of mythology out there that would have some believing the C9.25 is a miracle scope delivering hubble like images and if you thought that then well yes you might be dissappointed to learn it is mortal. For me it has met and exceeded many of my expectations as an excellent planetary imaging platform in a compact (relatively) and reasonably priced package:)

cheers,

matt
15-12-2005, 07:18 AM
No worries digga

Just having a laff. I've gone in with my eyes (and wallet) wide open:lol:

I'm not expecting any more than what I've seen (published pix) and read.

I'm sittin' it atop a brand new EQ6 and SynScan (SkyScan).

Picking it up Sunday. Can't wait

asimov
15-12-2005, 05:45 PM
You lucky bugger Matt!! Congrats!

matt
15-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I know Asi...

I'm jumping out of my skin to get hold of it and start using it.

I'm really going to have to get stuck right in to the whole imaging caper to do justice to it. I know you and all the other good people here will continue to help me on my way as I make the most of such a terrific rig.

It doesn't get much more exciting than this.

It only arrived in Sydney a couple of hours ago. I've just spoken to Steve Massey at myAstroShop where I'm getting the scope.

How's this. He's already laser and cheshire tested the collimation and he tells me it's spot on out of the box!

He's also checking a few other things for me as well. He's also supplying the EQ6 and SynScan and has given that a good going over. He sounded as thrilled as I am:)

That's what I call service.

Shop around boys.

asimov
15-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I repeat....You lucky bugger!

Going to be flogging your skywatcher 8" ?

matt
15-12-2005, 06:48 PM
More than likely...

If there's any interest?

Anyway ... apologies to Rob for hijacking his thread:lol:

atalas
15-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the review Robert ! very nicely done and I am glad you are pleased with your new scope . :) they do have a good reputation .

Stu
15-12-2005, 09:22 PM
How did you end up going with the LXD75? Is it fixed?
I just got my Autostar #497 today so haven't really checked it out besides train the drives and all that daytime stuff...

Robert_T
15-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Stu, yes it's much better now though still has an occasional little hiccup. I ad to loosen slightly the screws holding the RA worm against the worm wheel.

cheers,

matt
16-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Rob

Only two more sleeps to go before I'm in the 9.25 club:P

I'm curious about the free software that comes with the scope.

Which version of The Sky is it? Is it The Sky 6????

What are its capabilities?

Thanks mate

Robert_T
16-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi Matt, it's Version 5 level 1. To be honest since installing it I haven't even opened it... I have so many programs on this thing some will never see the light of day (or should that be the dark of night :P )

cheers,

matt
16-12-2005, 09:39 PM
:lol: Know what you mean Rob

One day, mate. One day I'll get 'round to using one fifth of everything i've downloaded:nerd:

Miaplacidus
16-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Nice report, Robert.

I'm torn between a small apo refractor or a C9.25. (Who am I kidding? I know I'm eventually going to get BOTH. What I mean to say is I'm torn between which one to get FIRST.)

I'd like to be able to transfer the SCT between a heavy duty alt-az mount and a nice EQ6 on a pier (such as Matt is talking about). Like all good reports, yours has just made me simultaneously more determined and indecisive...

:lol:

Cheers,

Brian.

Robert_T
16-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Brian, the indecisive bit is fun though, filled with infinite (ok within budget) possibilities and promise. The key criteria of course should be which is shinier:rofl:
there's an ever so shiny red (so it's faster) 80mm William's Optics (think it's a Fluorite Triplet APO) that I'd love to have. Maybe you should get something like that first and then it can become your travel come guidescope for the C9.25... but then again you could...:confuse3: isn't this fun :P

Miaplacidus
17-12-2005, 08:33 AM
I think the go-fast red WO scope is actually a fancy fluorite doublet. Even though the lens cell is designed by TMB, I've been burnt once too often by semi-apos, almost-apos or doublet-mirage apos.

I've come to believe that the only way you can get three different wavelengths of light to come to simultaneous focus is by using THREE different bits of glass. (That, or maybe 4, as in a petzval.) Anyway, to any experts reading this, please feel free to leap in and try to convince me otherwise.

Oh, of course, the other way is to use a mirror. Or an SCT. Mmmmmmmm...

Cheers,

Brian.

Robert_T
17-12-2005, 08:47 AM
you're right Brian, checked the website it is a doublet...

did notice they have a nice 105mm ED triplet added to their lineup though and it is very shiny :) http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/prod_tel/zs105/features0.htm

and, of course, there's always the c9.25, less shiny but there's more of it;)

Johno
22-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the review Robert. Nice to read.
Matt, You have one of the combinations I have been considering. Now that you've presumably had your gear for a couple of months I would also like to hear your story on how the C9.25 goes with the EQ6. Are you using a pier or tripod? How portable is the combination (if you're using a tripod)? Are you planning on doing any refurbishment to the EQ6? How accurate is the Goto and how well does it track?

asimov
22-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I've been looking at this review everyday for a month now.;)

Ordered mine 15 mins ago....On her way friday. :D

Rob this review needs to be in the review section of this site for us newbies! ;)