PDA

View Full Version here: : Portable pier construction

beren
11-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Im looking at getting a portable pier built for my LX , just wondering if anybody has any experiences or would know of approximate costs of fabricating such a thing . Specs I'm looking at a 5mm steel tube with a 8-10 inch diameter 95-100cm tall with three 60cm supports , Ive set a few emails off to some engineering shops but nothing back yet which doesn't surprise me with Chrissy nearly here etc. I'm looking at costs in comparison to purchasing a giant field tripod that comes standard with the 12/14" LXs {around 400US used, 700us new}, the weight my LX is carrying now I'm starting to worry about the standard field tripods capacity for stability.... cheers for any input

h0ughy
11-12-2005, 04:15 PM
stuart look at the end of this link you will find the giant field tripod brand new for a grand australian, and in their original box unused

http://www.sbstars.com/mambo/

GARAGE SALE

SBIG ST6 CCD Camera (RS232 driven) the legendary workhorse that started it all back in the mid 90's...VGC and still working!.....$1500;

13.1" F6 Newtonian reflector in fibreglass tube assembly with rotating rings (primary mirror made by the late and legendry mirror maker, Pierre Schwarr of Arizona, USA).....VGC....$1200

12.5" F20 Dall Kirkham (optics made by Astro Optics - circa 1975) mounted in a solid fibreglass tube assembly....VGC...$1200;

200mm F4.8 (another Pierre Schwarr mirror) Newtonian fibreglass tube assembly, 2" low profile focuser.Perfect for Astro-photography!....VGC.....$400;

3 only Meade Giant Field Tripods never used - still boxed.....$1000 each; These huge babies will hold an 18" scope!

Vixen SkySensor PC 2000 RA/Dec motors to suit GP and and DX mounts. New handbox. All brand new, never used.....$1200;

SAC 8 Video Peltier cooled chip camera-great for guiding and live video lunar, planetary and stellar images frame grabbing VGC.....$400;

Newtonian steel surrier struss assembly to suit up to 14.5" mirror. Comes complete with a well built Dobsonian mount....free!

All goods as is on a First Come First Served basis. You can pick up, or you can pay for packing and freight costs. I live near Kingaroy and Nanango in the South Burnett of Qld.

Want more inside info and or some pics? email me or phone 4164 6194 or 0427 961 391. Genuine callers only.

beren
11-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks mate got those flagged , just weighing up all options first .....wish i had jumped on the one Mick P was selling earlier in the year :P

gbeal
11-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Beren,
I built one up, so maybe send me an e mail, and I will shoot you back some piccies.
g.beal@clear.net.nz
It is only 150mm steel tube though, 5mm thick.
I have three push in legs with castors on the ends, and a levelling screw/foot system that gets the castors airborne as well.
Works well for me, as I wanted to be able to load everything onto it, and simply push it out, with another trip to get the OTA. I don't roll the complete mount/OTA more as a precaution against the whole lot going over, as well as the vibrations, but I probably worry too much. Three white dots on the asphalt where I use it means polar alignment is close/good enough.
Gary

beren
11-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Gary :)