PDA

View Full Version here: : Telrad: What a GREAT bit of gear!!!!

big_dav_2001
01-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Why did i not get one of these earlier!!!

Just bought a Telrad finder to fit onto my 12" dob, and i am VERY impressed!!! This finder makes life SO much easier. It virtually makes my old 8x50 obsolete. The 1/2, 2 and 4 degree circles make finding DSO's a breeze, this is going to make my observing sessions so much more fruitful.

IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE....GET ONE!!!!!!!

wavelandscott
01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
They are great things aren't they...

pgc hunter
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Yup I find one necessary when using a right angle finder. It really speeds up finding objects.

mbaddah
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I think it's an absolute must on a dob. Seriously I wasted so much time with a finderscope for over 2 years. The finderscope is great for finding those fuzzies, only ONCE you've actually found your guidestar via the Telrad, which unfortunately with the finderscope is almost an impossibility.

Make sure you grab a telrad heater though as well, as it won't last long on those dewwy nights. I have one brand new which I'm contemplating selling (never used). If your interested PM me :D

bmitchell82
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I havn't gone the telerad path, but just as good, :D laser pointer coupled with the finder makes for a unbeateable combination and doubles as a where im pointing tool! :)

Congrats on your new purchase!

Sarge
01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I hear ya Davin. The only extra on my 12" Dob is the Telrad. I still use my finder, for those small items not visible to the naked eye. Telrad gets me to the location and I use the finder to star hop from there.

Rod :D

Miaplacidus
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm lazy, so I use a Laser, Telrad AND Finder. Often the first is enough, but usually I need to fine tune with the Telrad. If all the stars are dim in that part of the sky, I have to hop to where I'm going using the Finder. But nine times out of ten the Telrad is enough. Brilliant invention.

big_dav_2001
02-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Thats what i was using until i had a damn battery leak and destroy it....now due to the new laws, i cant seem to be able to get a pointer anywhere....

highly recommend you give the telrad a go

bmitchell82
03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
hehehe Mine is fully automated with goto :) and i have gotten to the stage where i can do a full polar alignment within 1 hr, thats from initial setup to taking my first photo. So i do photo tours :) sometimes i go free hand but thats not often nowdays.

So my laser is generally to find stars like acrux ect ect :)

AstralTraveller
04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
The next step is to print set(s) of telrad circles onto clear plastic at the correct scale for your chart(s). Then you can just centre the circles on the DSO and see how the field stars should sit relative to the circles. Combine that with a good low-power eyepiece and you should be able to find most DSOs easily.

BTW just be aware that if the DSO is very small (eg some planetary nebulae) it may appear stellar in a low power ep.