PDA

View Full Version here: : EQMOD - Serial to USB

nobbygon
04-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone knew which serial to USB cable is the best with the EQDIR. I was reading that some serial to USB cables don't work too well with EQDIR.

Also where can this cable be purchased from??

Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Angus

mill
04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Any cable with an prolific chip in it and can be had from Jaycar etc.

sheeny
04-04-2010, 04:36 PM
G'Day Angus,

I can't comment of USB to serial compatibility, but if you haven't already got a serial EQDIR why not consider a USB EQDIR? They are available from Astronomics, Starstuff and Dontronics.

Al.

adman
04-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I ordered one of these from Dontronics - apparently it has the best chipset to work with mounts/EQMOD. Has not skipped a beat for me so far.

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/USB-converters.html

Products Ordered:
Cat Number: US232R-10 #16139
Product: EasySync Premium GOLD USB-RS232 Adapter cable ( 10cm cable )
Item Price: AUD$45.91
Quantity: 1 Item(s)

Cheers,
Adam

mldee
04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I also bought my USB-RS232 cable from Dontronics, it runs from a 4-port powered hub on the pier to the EQ6 DB9 connector. The hub also supplies the USB connection to the QHY5. Only one USB cable to run back to the laptop. Works like a charm.

I had to solder four wires from the converter to a DB9 for my EQ6. Easy.

Cheers,

lookus
04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
i bought my cable from a guy who makes them in holland. it has the eqdir module and goes straight to a 5 meter usb cable. no soldering or shopping around and ready to go. it has been terrific. and it only cost about $60. ( this would depend on the exchange rate with the euro though), and a very helpful and friendly person. i highly recommend this one. link below

http://www.astronics.nl/astronics/index.html

dennisjames1
25-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I have one of those HL340 Blue Usb to serial adaptor cables off ebay, it's no good, driver install ok you can see it in the device manager of Windows 7, just doesn't work on anything Meade or my radio scanner.

So the Prolific chip set ones are the way to go, same deal for Meade autostar 497 too ?

Running Astro star suite and also the sky serious astronomer all work fine on my PC with com1, but i want to use the laptop of course.

Cheers

Dennis