PDA

View Full Version here: : Losmandy style D plates - can you get them lightened

h0ughy
18-03-2010, 02:20 PM
can you get losmandy style D plates that have been reduced in weight?

Phoenix
18-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Not sure if this helps Houghy but I recently purchased a few D series items (dove tail ring set; universal plate) from Anthony Davoli (ADM Accessories) and I am of the understanding that they are somewhat lighter than the equivalent original Losmandy products - eg. ADM's side-by-side saddle, etc. Beautifully made, very reasonable prices and excellent communication. The items purchased seem rock solid but there may be others who feel differently.

You could flick Anthony an e-mail and he will generally respond promptly with the weight of any item (perhaps even a comparative weight)
http://www.admaccessories.com/FORMgallery2.htm

h0ughy
18-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks Steve - will look into that

Brundah1
08-07-2010, 11:09 PM
With the Dollar up again last month, I ordered some ADM side by side bars, C8 and C11 D bars, radius blocks and a counter weight kit.

Delivery time from placing order - 5 days. All well packaged and customs dec as required. Ordering and communication excellent.

Prices direct from ADM very competitive. Note shipping costs sliding scale - max USD48 so group orders the go.

ADM "D" cross bar plus ADM Dual Saddle and ADM "D" Saddle; weighs 3.25Kgs. Not light but extremely rigid and excellent CNC machine work. Note ADM "D" saddles use two large knurled clamp screws which are sprung loaded. These "D" saddles are 7" long, providing excellent
holding power for large OTAs, worth comparing to standard Losmandy "D" saddles.

If you don't want multi- purpose config and want lighter weight, try this:
ADM "D" cross bar plus ADM "D" Saddle and ADM "V" Saddle weighs 2.85Kgs.

My only negative, I had to ream out the saddle clamp screw holes (by 10 thou) on two saddles as they tended to jam closed - now smooth as silk.

Also the counter weight kit design was not up to my "fussy B" standard.
The counter weight 1/2 inch UNC threaded rod is mounted flush on the "V" type saddle and secured by a small cap screw. I have machined and tapped a 1/2" UNC hole in the saddle and secured the threaded rod with a low profile self-locking nut. Now the kit is solid and works perfectly.
BTW this is for my CPC8.

Sorry can't supply weight for equivalent Losmandy.

I chose ADM for functional design and rigidity.

No affiliation with manufacturers yada yada.

David