PDA

View Full Version here: : Blitz's questions

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Ask your questions Blitz!:)

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, I'm looking into buying a telescope (first time user), and I'm wondering what is good and where from.

I was considering a reflector due to the low level of suburbian light out here in the country.

The more I read, the more I learn at the moment. So what do the good people here recommend?

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:24 PM
As I said before, different people will recommend different scopes.

As far as dollar per inch goes, a dobsonian reflector is the best shot.

A Dobsonian Mount is a simple construction and easy to use. It is basically a box which allows you to move the scope in any direction with ease.

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Oh, and where was this place to buy from in Sydney? Do they have a website?

Was just reading some more about the base types too. I think the only thing I'm not exactly clear on still is eyepieces. I may figure out some questions to ask about those soon.

I guess now it's just a matter of what brand's make good equipments and so forth. A dobsonian reflector is still looking like the way to go.

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:31 PM
This is the scope That is available for $399

www.gs-telescope.com/dob.htm

It is the second one down the page. GS-680 8" :P

wavelandscott
20-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Blitz,

Welcome!

What do you want to see?
moon, planets, DSO, birds, neighbors...

Do you want to do photography?

Do you want mobility?

Do you want "high tech hands free" or lower tech "roll up your sleeves and get dirty"?

How much money are you willing/able to spend?

Depending on what you want to see and how you want to see it will determine what is best for you...

There are many many choices...and many of them are great!

The trick is to match your interests and needs to the right tool...

I am happy with my 8 inch Dob...it fits my needs and skill level but I want a night time visual scope that my 2 children can't tear up easily but can enjoy too. I don't want batteries and I don't mind an occassional tinker...

Good Luck...it is truly an addictive hobby...

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I take it you have or have had one of (or something similar to one of) these?

I like the fact that it's 8". I didn't think I'd be getting anywhere near that under $500.

Oh I see a Plossl eyepeice. Those are meant to be the bees knees pretty much are they not?

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Eyepieces are just as debatable as the scope itself.

Again, depending on what you want to see as wave said "sky? neighbours?"

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Plossl's are good but there are better ones . . . . at a cost!!!

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 10:38 PM

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:47 PM
It helps to write a message in there Blitz.

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I did actually, it's just hard to make it stand out... I replied to each section of his post, starting with -'s.

EDIT: How's that, i coloured my replies... =)

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Oh yeah! Sorry.

If you want to get into Asro Photos you will need tracking and you can expect to start around $1000 for medium size and quality. Up around $2500 for spectacular and up it goes.

If you choose to step up, you can always trade-up in some shops or keep the Dob and get a 2nd motorised beasty.

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 11:08 PM
this gs-telescopes, they are a manufacturer by the look of it?

They will sell direct to me?

If not, is there somewhere online that I can see these scopes along with prices?

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 11:27 PM
That website is the Manufacturer Guan Sheng in Taiwan (the best Asian scope makers) but you have to get them through dealers, the factory doesn't direct sell.

Try https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6739

This site is for Bintel in Sydney.

It is the same scope as available at $399 at Andrews. :astron:

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Ah yes, Andrews... I bought my very first CB radio from them almost 15 years ago...

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey Blitz,

I did a quick surf and the best price I found in Australia for a motorised scope ready to unpack, set-up align and go is:

Celestron 8" GoTo Reflector $1750

Optex 5" Maksutov Cassegrain $1250

The Celestron sounds good value, but that maybe later on.

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks! I think I can see that I should leave any thought of photography to some later stage... it's not a simple add-on situation by the look of it.

I think I will go with the 8" GSO dob, as it sounds like pretty good value for beginning astronomers (this includes my gf and our 5yr old). I found Andrew's web site but... it seem's they have no ability to handle online orders?

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Just telephone Lee.

Tell him you are enquiring about the "Guan Sheng GS680 Dobsonian Telescope".

Tell him I sent you (Ken from Ballarat). Probably won't get you any more discount though.

I am considering opening a scope shop in Melbourne selling the same scope at the same price but that will be a while yet (if I go ahead).

The scope comes with 4 Plossl eyepieces, and a pair of Binoculars.

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks Ken. You've been a great help. I'll call Lee sometime tomorrow I thinks.

I feel like I've learnt a heck of a lot tonight =)

BLiTZWiNG
20-01-2005, 11:57 PM
How much difference would there be if I only got the 6" GSO ? I realise the aperture size is of great importance when selecting a telescope, but is the 6" too small for good DSO viewing?

ballaratdragons
20-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Pleased to help.:2thumbs:

It gets better.

Wait till you meet the rest of the gang! :tasdevil: :cool3: :nerd:

and our Mighty Leader "Ice" :bowdown:

You'll be a Professor of Astronomy in no time. :einstein:

rumples riot
21-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Yes 6" is a little undersized. Go for the 8 or as I recommended else where a 10". Good luck with your decision.

Starkler
21-01-2005, 12:28 AM
You cant go wrong with the 8" gso dob.

It is quite simply the bargain scope in Australia right now.
You get good optics on a sturdy mount which are the two most important things.

There is room for improvement in the mechanics of the base, but the fixes are cheap and simple for anyone to do :)

If you can swing a few hundred extra, consider the 10 inch.
I would only buy the 12inch if you never have to transport it as the tube is longer than most cars are wide.

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I agree with Paul,

10" would be great but the best price I know of is $799.

Might be worth considering if you can find the extra $400

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Or for the same price, buy two 8" and set them up as giant Binocs.

Not as silly as it sounds. Not too hard either!!

janoskiss
21-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Everyone,

Please, would you leave Lee alone. He's busy enough as it is and doesn't need any more distractions until he sends me my new 8" GS Dob. I'm still out in the back yard struggling to see things with my cheap (& crappy) DSE 4.5" (it was clear earlier but clouds moved in now :( ).

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 01:11 AM
lol

janoskiss
21-01-2005, 01:39 AM
BTW. Are you serious about the twin 8" binos being easy to set up?

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 01:50 AM
With a bit of fiddling, yes it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Got to have imagination and be a bit handy with tools.

janoskiss
21-01-2005, 01:59 AM
If I was to get two of these dobs, I reckon the focal lengths of the main mirrors would not match precisely enough. How would you handle that challenge?

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 02:08 AM
You have to do a lot of lining up, mathematics, use of diagonals etc.

Some of the others (when they come back on line) have knowledge of the ways it is done properly.

Got some clever people in here.

janoskiss
21-01-2005, 02:11 AM
OK, for now I'm just curious, cos I reckon I'll be v. happy with just one of the dobs, when it gets here.

iceman
21-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey Blitzwing, :welcome: to the forums! :hi:
How did you hear about us?

As others have said, for your budget and for your needs, you can't go past the 8" dob. It's really a great starters scope and will last you a long time.

They're easy to setup, easy to move, and great for beginners.

They are also very adaptable with lots of modifications that you can do to them as starkler eluded to. They're also great because a lot of people have them and there's literally tonnes of information available about them and what modifications you can do. Some of them you'll find on the main site here, IceInSpace (http://www.iceinspace.com), that I've done to my 10" GSO Dob..

Also while it's mostly true that if you want to do astrophotography you shouldn't get a dob, it doesn't mean that you can't do astrophotography with a dob. Check out my Images page (http://www.iceinspace.com/?images) - all of my photos are taken with my 10" dob, either with a webcam or a digicam. So it can be done, it just requires patience and practise.

As starkler and others have said, if you live in dark skies already and won't need to transport it much, the 12" would be best for the aperture, a 10" fits in a car and is on the limit of 1-person portability, but an 8" is good too, and don't feel that you have to spend more just because we say so. :P
You'll find that in this hobby, people on forums are always very good at spending other people's money :D

If you get your scope from Bintel or Andrews (really the only 2 choices), make sure you mention that the guys at IceInSpace referred you.. not that it'll get you any extra discount but we've referred a lot of people there lately and one day it might help us out :P

Good luck and keep us posted, hope to see you back here regularly.

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks Iceman!

I heard about you guys in the AstronomyOnline.com.au forums, and decided to take a peek. Glad I did.

I rang Lee this morning and ordered an 8" GSO dob. He said he'd post it today for me. I mentioned you guys gave me the advice. I did note the interesting bit he told me about Celestron's being made in the same factory or something yet costing twice as much.. But of course I had to make myself late to work to order it so early in the morning so I didn't have much time to chat :/

Anyway, I'm now looking forward to the arrival of my new scope, probably Tuesday I estimate.

iceman
21-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Excellent work, you won't be disappointed.

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Was just looking over your images. Very neat. I note no pics of Mars?

rumples riot
21-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Not visible yet, but when it does come there will be a flurry of pics.

iceman
21-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks, and yeh as RR said Mars is not quite high enough yet. In February it'll start getting higher and i'll be certainly taking some shots then.
I'm disappointed I missed the 2003 opposition though - I wasn't much into astronomy at that stage and didn't have a telescope.

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Kewl, looks like I'm just in time to catch it!

I remember the opposition happening and kicking myself that I hadn't actually gone through with getting a scope last time I thought about it. I actually stood outside my mates place at about 2am and we were looking up at this red dot going "yep, it's bright... and red...".

Starkler
21-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Theres an simpler option called a binoviewer which slips into the focuser and splits the light two ways to two eyepieces.

I imagine creating a true binocular telescope would be a nightmare in aligning, and you wont get true stereoscopic vision anyway as the targets we view are so far away ie no angular separation between the two halves of the scope.

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Hmm I'm reading about filters now... kinda wish I had realised I need a few and ordered them at the same time.

How's this list for a basic filter set (remembering Lee has a discount for 4 filters going...)

#25 Red
#15 Dark Yellow
#80A Light Blue
#56 Light Green?

Striker
21-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I recommend a Meade LX200 10" GPS.

I guarantee you will love it!

I can see myself getting into trouble over this one....woops.

"sorry"

http://www.users.on.net/~striker/bartstush.gif

Nortilus
21-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I just ordered the GSO 8" Dob from Andrew's. Lee was very helpful and informative.
Now I am just waiting for it to arrive.

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey Nort,

I suppose your going to stand out front and wait for it to arrive, rain hail or shine!

Don't blame you.

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd stand outside and wait for mine, but I'm smart enough to know it's not coming till next week... and the gf would kill me for wasting the weekend :p

ving
21-01-2005, 03:24 PM
OMG!:eyepop:

you are so 1337!:P

I bought my 8" dob from andrews about 10 months ago and have been pimping them ever since. i deserve a commission!:cheers:

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 03:29 PM
You better consult Lee for your commision then :whistle:

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 03:29 PM
ME TOO!!! In several Forums!!!

But, If you find good value for a beginner, and it's not crap, let them know I say.

Don't want them buying Supermarket junk and hating Astronomy.

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 03:33 PM
I was tempted to get this $30 telescope from um.. Target i think... just as a starting thing, thinking it might not be too bad.. now I'm pretty sure it would be. IIRC the aperture was only 50mm possibly less, not to mention all the high quality bits you'd get for $30...

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I would hate to see the procedure they use for making the Optics on Supermarket junk.
:jawdrop:

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 03:43 PM
recycled plastic?

janoskiss
21-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Lee told me delivery of the 8" dob to Melbourne takes only one day.

I've placed my order for with Andrews on Tuesday and sent Lee the money order, so I was hoping I'd get the scope before the weekend, but that seems increasingly unlikely now at 4:40 Friday a/noon :-( While the poor guy is being bombarded with more orders he's probably too busy with all the paperwork to actually get the things out the door fast enough. I'm suprised he hasn't run out of stock yet. And it's all thanks to you guys!

Just heard a carhorn and ran outside, but there's no one there! This is driving me nuts!

ving
21-01-2005, 04:51 PM
welcome to my world then... i am already nuts :P

Starkler
21-01-2005, 06:29 PM
I recommend you spend the weekend collecting 2 litre plastic milk bottles for your first mod

:lol2:

All shall be revealed :D

Striker
21-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Dont Worry Janoskiss.....it will probabaly rain all weekend anyway.....you do live in Melbourne....sorry.

I must say I rung up and payed for my Dob about 10:00am one morning and then recived it at 9:00am the next morning in Brisbane...was very happy.

Same with bintel...pay 1 day received the next...was great.

I did hear they oversold the 8" dob's and you may be waiting for the new shipment in 4 weeks.........only joking....lol.

janoskiss
21-01-2005, 07:09 PM
No, it will not rain this w/e. I did not get my scope, remember? It will rain all of next w/e instead!

... and yes, I read something about milk bottle washers. Except I remember reading about milk cartons not bottles. Or is that what Americans call plastic bottles? Which one should I be collecting cartons or bottles?

What exactly is the purpose of these washers?

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Plastic 2 litre MILK bottles (not fruit drink or cordial). As Starkler said "All will be revealed".

But you will need them.

ving
21-01-2005, 07:26 PM
it will rain all w/e cause i am gettinga new EP :P

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Just think Ving,

Whilst it's raining all weekend it will give you PLENTY of time to adjust your new EP in the focuser and get it just right to use in a week or two when the clouds break!! :eek:

ving
21-01-2005, 07:41 PM
:(

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Ving,

Which EP, how much and where from?

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 08:17 PM
hmm Lee told me he had a bunch in stock and he'd send mine out straight away (mind you I rang at 8:30am). Now, living in the country I do expect it to take more than 1 day.

I hope you get yours on monday janoskiss.

wavelandscott
21-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Gentlemen, anticipation is a big part of the excitement...

Just think of the excitement that you felt on Christmas morning when you were 6 years old...it is like that waiting for new astronomy gear too!

And soon after you have had a chance to "play with your new toys" you will recognize that you need more stuff...

Some say that heroin is addicitve...I say it can't compare to this!

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 10:16 PM
What we need is to beam things instantly.

Ring up, order, pay by internet and it appears 3 minutes later on the transporter pad.

Now that's service!!!

2 chaps overseas beamed an orange across a room, so it may not be too far away, seriously.

Starkler
21-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Right now I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive and I'm hungry dammit !

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I never heard about the orange... I heard about the laser teleporation done by the Sydney scientists though (and they celebrated in true Aussie fashion, down at the pub!)

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 10:34 PM
What is LASER teleportation?

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 10:35 PM
they replicated a laser beam on opposite sides of a room using quantum particles. That's all I know about it. Was about 2 years ago.

Striker
21-01-2005, 10:41 PM
They have been doing it for years on Star Trek......its not new to me.....hehe...

BLiTZWiNG
21-01-2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text6-17-2002-20584.asp

ballaratdragons
21-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I'll shift this topic to General Chat coz we ain't talking Astronomy equipment and theres more to this subject.