PDA

View Full Version here: : Ordering a Discmount

wavelandscott
10-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I am in the process of ordering a Discmount for my APM refractor. I'll pick it up at NEAF (about an hours drive south of me) in April (at least that is my plan).

I've been waiting a year and saving my pennies to make this purchase...after all, it is only going to cost me a kitchen remodel (plus the cost of the mount)

Can't wait to get my hands on it and get it out under our warming (finally) northern hemisphere skies.

h0ughy
10-03-2010, 01:34 PM
thats like the losmandy type quality version of the ioptron cube isnt it? Nice piece of gear. So when the weather clears after you get it i hope it performs well ;). PS enjoy the new kitchen.

Dennis
10-03-2010, 01:40 PM
These discmounts look like fine pieces of engineering that will make it a pleasure to observe with. When the local currency reaches AU$1.00 = US$2.00 I will definitely order one!

Look forward to hearing of your experiences with this impressive beauty!

Cheers

Dennis

casstony
10-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Losmandy and discmounts play well together - trying this one out with the C8 before going bigger - not sure what the bigger will be yet though. One thing for certain with the DM6 is it'll never break down.

gary
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Scott,

The Discmount is a really fabulously smooth Alt/Az mount and Tom Peters is a
really nice guy.

When you meet up with Tom at NEAF, you might like to mention your
connection with Australia. We have been encouraging Tom for he and Cheryl to
try and make the trip Downunder some time soon! :thumbsup:

wavelandscott
10-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh I will, we actually spoke about that very thing (getting him to Oz).

Tom has been a prince to work with via e-mail and phone.

He spoke highly of you as well (as did I)!

He did tell me that he could set it up to run an Argo Navis with a change of encoders and I was tempted indeed. But as I have two ANs already on scopes I figured I'd give the Sky Commander a shot on one scope...if nothing else it will let me further appreciate what a great tool the AN is! (which it is).

wavelandscott
10-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Good thing I still have "Super" in Australia...at that exchange rate I'll be able to afford a several cans of beans for my old age!

wavelandscott
10-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I figured if you could finally get an Observatory approved and set up by SWMBO that I had a chance too.

I'm sure the kitchen will be nice (if nice = expensive)...my Wife has "nice" ideas for the new space...

I actually had considered an Ioptron Cube but after much soul searching I could not bear the thought of mounting that nice scope on one...kind of like a sports car with re-tread tyres...not a good look.

wavelandscott
10-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm hoping that it is the last mount I buy...at least that is what I am trying to convince myself (and my wife)...While I think I can swing the mount with the kitchen, I don't think I'm up for the additional rooms and furniture that other future mounts will require...

Waxing_Gibbous
10-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I think he posted this just to make us jealous!:lol:

We expect piccys. Possibly a daily update.
See if you can have a 'boo' through the supposedly premiering Astrotech 8" Mak-Cass.
Hope you have a good time and congrats on the new mount.
Peter

casstony
10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Something that's not covered in the Sky Commander manual is the list of alignment stars for the southern hemisphere; it only shows the 40 stars geared toward the nothern hemisphere. When the computer is set for southern hemisphere it shows about 60 alignment stars geared toward the south.

It'll be interesting to see how the new T-Rex compares to the DM6. The extra controls could add functionality or they could be annoying.

Waxing_Gibbous
10-03-2010, 10:14 PM
God willing (at this point my only hope!) I'll have a TRex by the end of March. If you want to do a comparrison, I'd be up for it.
I did want a DM6 but with exchange rates/postage/bribes etc., I think it wound up costing $63,000 or something like that.
Lovely gear tho'.

casstony
10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Mine only cost $47,000 off Astromart - bargain really. A comparison might be scary - what if I like your mount better than mine:).

JethroB76
10-03-2010, 11:15 PM
You'll have to duel for it..

Waxing_Gibbous
10-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Sky-Scouts at 20 paces!

wavelandscott
11-03-2010, 05:30 AM
I did post to inspire jealousy! Looks like it worked.

I'll try and remember to check out the AT Mak/Cas...while NEAF is loads of fun, it is also very dangerous to attend...too much tempting gear in one place and lots of people buying things. It is very easy to get caught up in the "spending fever" especially since almost everyone there is interested in buying stuff it is hard to find anyone in attendance to "talk you off of the ledge"...where ever you turn the crowd is shouting jump!

Imagine a mob of sharks chummed into a feeding frenzy...NEAF is like that except that the sharks are friendly and everyone is showing everyone else what they just bought or are intending to buy.

Waxing_Gibbous
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
You're a cruel and wicked man! :)

casstony
11-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Fish are the gentlemen's weapon of choice - but no salmon allowed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s