PDA

View Full Version here: : Lunar/Planetary Obs.-Mewlon210 vs MK715 vs AT 8"?

Waxing_Gibbous
09-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Confused!

I'm pretty much aware of the plusses and minuse of both scopes: Cooling, contrast, ability to hold collimation, build quality etc. etc.

I've never had a chance to do a direct comparrison.
Moon, Planets, bright DSO's?
Anyone have a preference?

Addendum: Now, the much-rumored AT 8" MK is alledgedly soon to hit the shelves. I'm getting another Migraine! :):help:
I've seen no reports on the 6" which could be a good thing. After the heartbreak of the TSA120, I really don't want to make another "wrong" step.

Ta!
Peter

casstony
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Aren't the AT mak scopes made in China by Bosma/Ioptron? If so, they seem out of place alongside the other top-shelf brands you've listed.

Is the new scope replacing the TSA120 or in addition to?

Waxing_Gibbous
10-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey Tony,
This'll be "in addition to".
I know a fair number of the AT 6" have been sold in the last year or so. I've seen no proper review of one, but I haven't seen many crop up used either. If a new scope is duff, regardless of reviews, you normally find a bunch of them for sale within a few months.

I'll fork out the $$ if I HAVE to, but I'd rather spend less than more if there is only a minor difference in IQ.

Peter

casstony
10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't think the AT/Bosma maks have active cooling which is a big disadvantage compared to the other two scopes you're considering, especially in our climate. The Skywatcher maks get good reviews but again, no active cooling.