PDA

View Full Version here: : how do you store/transport your mount and counterweights?

troypiggo
05-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Just curious how others store and transport the heavier items like mounts and counterweights.

OneOfOne
05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
I store my scope in a specially designed series of pull out drawers in the back room. When putting it in the car, I just lay the tripod across the back of the X-Trail...everything just fits in perfectly. I actually took the tripod with me when I bought the car to check it all fitted.

troypiggo
05-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Good stuff, Trevor! Beyond my handyman skills, or lack thereof, but looks nice and neat and tidy.

With all this rain of late, just been thinking of storage options.

multiweb
05-03-2010, 08:16 AM
:eyepop: You're very organised :thumbsup: My OTA usually knows two places. The back seat of the car or the office floor. Occasionaly the mount when the sky is clear. :lol:

jjjnettie
05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
All my mounts are stored in the dining room.
The scopes are on purpose built shelves in the laundry, along with nearly all my other astro gear.
The ed80 lives in a padded tool box, the RC8.... I've kept the original shipping box for it to be transported in.

DavidU
05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
All my counter weights have 3 silicone rubber feet on the bottom to stop paint chipping and they won't slide around when they go on the floor of the car. For storage they just go on a lower shelf in the garage.

erick
05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Up there for thinking! I must do that.

TrevorW
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
When going to a dark site I throw them in the boot by the time I get everything in there they don't move around at home everything goes in the study

GrahamL
05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
My dob lives 30 cm from my pillow , I find it sleeps better and dosn't wake up in the night when not in use if it stays close .

AlexN
05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
My GM8 lives in a 30L storage container that is padded with some towels. Just the head and the Digital Drive box live in there. The HEQ5 is currently set up in the living room as I've been doing a few bits and pieces on it.. The HEQ5 has a padded 30L storage box of its own. Both the tripods fit under my bed. The 80/480 has its own padded bag that it lives it. The ST8300/CFW/Flattener/OAG/QHY5 stays completely assembled and lives in an airtight box that I have had a custom padded insert made for. This keeps the camera safe and sound... When I'm taking any of it anywhere, it is all done very very carefully.. Counterweights are usually wrapped in a blanket to protect them, and everything else from them..

mithrandir
05-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I have two 6' steel cabinets (mostly astro stuff including all the original packaging). The OTA with the guide scope and camera assembled are in a plastic storage box - they fit exactly. Unfortunately the box won't fit in a cabinet.

The scope box goes on the back seat, the eyepiece boxes and DSLR case fit tightly behind the driver, the computer bags and CCD box behind the passenger seat and the mount, weights, table, power pack and anything else go in the back.

RobF
06-03-2010, 12:14 AM
My tripod and mount live in the Harry Potter room under the stairs, along with a sports bag with padding holding the 2 counterwts and extension leads and powerboard. Room too for fold out table and one case of gear. Closer this way to the backyard when setting up, and (somewhat) secure from the kids.

When travelling, I just pad most bits as best I can in the boot with old sheets/blankets. Cases, binocs, cameras, laptop, etc travel in the front in crates or footwell.

Tandum
06-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Here's all my stuff waiting for the rain to stop :)

The mount and 10" newt are elsewhere.

RobF
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Starting to develop into a serious pile there Robin...... :)

Tandum
06-03-2010, 04:42 PM
One of those camera cases is new and empty, just ready for a new camera :) It would be nice to have some sort of lockup storage to stack everthing.

[1ponders]
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
GM8 fits nicely on the floor in the front of the Vitara with refractors wrapped in towels to cushion them. Usually an eyepiece case or a camera bag is wedged in to help keep it snug. Everything else is either in a hard plastic pelican style case or in styrofoam Broccoli boxes with lids (transformers, cables, adapter, bric a brac). SCT stays in its original padded cardboard box. Once everything is packed in the back and the front a 4ft table goes on everything in the back and then extension leads, chair, camping gear/cool weather gear etc goes on top. Everything fits like a glove.

Oh and counter weights go under the passenger seat where they can't get underfoot or slide around

troypiggo
08-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, guys.

el_draco
12-03-2010, 07:45 PM
My scope sits in the living room and I look at it from time to time when I see a star at night. The electric fence around it keeps children and other varmits away....;)