PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron NexImage

Gordon
20-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello all

I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the Celestron NexImage camera. Is it perhaps only a webcam like the Philips ToUcam Pro or some such thing? I am hesitant in making such a purchase if indeed it might be more cheaply obtained as the same webcam device from a computer shop and requiring only a modification for attaching it a telescope.

rumples riot
20-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Personally, I would be reluctant to purchase this cam, and more inclined to go for the Toucam. Having just purchased the later after using the LPI for a year I am looking forward to the increased resolution and colour characteristics. It can be operated by K3ccdtools which is easily downloaded over the net. The Toucam is also widely used by all the expert planetary imaging people.

The neximage is only a recent adjunct to the webcam imaging scene, that means it is largely untested by the general populus and quite frankly I would think that it would have less reliability of the LPI. LPI is a fine camera, but everyone eventually goes to the Toucam.

So my recommendation is to go straight to the Toucam and start learning at this level.

Hope this has helped in your decision.

iceman
20-01-2005, 07:31 PM
The NexImage is actually the ToUcam, packaged up by Celestron. They even use Registax as their software.

You're better off just buying the ToUcam ($145), 1.25" adapter ($45) and optionally, IR filter ($120), and get Registax for free.

You can't go better than the ToUcam Gordon, I recommend it.. If I can use it in a dob, anyone can use one :)

[1ponders]
21-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Gordon I've only been imaging with the ToUcam for about 3 weeks now and I've not done anything like this (webcam imaging) before, so I'm definately not an expert. However if you check out some of the images of Saturn I've posted

Number 1. http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=417

Number 2. http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=521

Number 3. http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549

and

Number 4. http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=579

you'll see what can be achieved in less than a month.

I've have an LPI as well but I just don't use it. It can't compare for planetary imaging.

Good luck

Gordon
21-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Thank you so much gentlemen for the informative responses. I thought as much that the NexImage was built around some existing camera. Thank you also Paul for the links to your Saturn images taken with the Philips camera - they are very good and encouraging results.
Now it's just a matter of getting hold of one of these webcams myself. Can anyone suggest which comuter store supplies these at the best price?

iceman
21-01-2005, 01:53 PM
No need to go to a computer store, the prices I quoted in my reply are from Telescopes & Astronomy (http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au), located in South Australia, but ship anywhere.

You don't need the IR filter straight away.. for $250 + $10 postage you'll be up and running with all you need.

rumples riot
22-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Hey Mike that IR filter, you didn't pay 120 for it did you, I paid 60 just the other day.

iceman
22-01-2005, 08:51 AM
No, I paid $60 for the blue one, which I am returning and getting the Edmund Scientific for $120.

5ash
21-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm puzzled about the relative cost of setting up the toucam and buying the finished product in the celestron nextimage . From the above fgures the toucam at $145+$45 for the adapter +$120 for an IR filter that works, comes to $310 compared to $265 for celestron unit.
Also if the toucam and celestron are basically the same wont K3ccd tools work for the celestron anyway?
So which way to go ?
philip
ps is the IR filter that important .Ive heard its a must in reflecing telescopes:confuse2:

iceman
21-04-2005, 12:30 PM
You don't need the IR filter immediately, if at all.. I haven't seen any side by side direct comparisons of IR filter vs no IR filter.. I know my images aren't any better with the IR filter.. but it might be better on some targets (eg: mars + the moon) than on others (eg: jupiter + saturn). The jury is still out for me.

So for now, you only need to spend $145+$45+$10 (postage) and you're up and running. K3cddtools will work with the celestron neximage the same as with the native toucam, that's just for capture.
Registax (bundled with neximage) will be used the same in both.

If you can get the neximage for $265 (how much for postage?) that's a pretty good price.. as long as the 1.25" adapter is threaded for filters.

5ash
21-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Mike
i've seen the neximage advertised in sky and space for $265 i assume its still got an ir filter in it like the standard toucam.I believe its to stop "bleed" in the images due to ir, more important in reflectors than refractors. i've noticed the lpi seems to have a reddish colour when viewed in white light could this be the ir filter in the lpi? The neximage also has an optional focal reducer that costs about $20 in the US .Now that would b useful as long as its well made. Thanks again fr looking a those images.
philip