PDA

View Full Version here: : Connecting the G11 and gemini to a Computer

h0ughy
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Ok firstly - i have read the manual:P and it is not discussed there (actually there are a lot of things not discussed there), I already have the GPS in the RS232 and when i bought the mount it came with a 50ft serial to rj45 connector that "fits " rather nicely in the FEATURE port of the gemini. My question is can the gemini be controlled through the "FEATURE" port?

I have not tried it yet for fear i will do something to the unit?:help:

JohnG
03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Ummm, why don't you just take the GPS out of the RS232 port and plug the cable in to where it is supposed to be :shrug:, don't see the point in having the GPS connected all the time, once the Gemini is updated it stays current for ages.

I maybe do a GPS update once a month or so or if I am at a different location.

Cheers

leon
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Have to agree with John, Houghy, cant really see your point.

leon

h0ughy
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
the point is/was when i bought this mount the cable came with it, brand new and not undone. it was bought aparently to hook the pc up with the gemini, but when i look at it the only place it could go is the feature area - the plug is not the rs232 size in the middle

[1ponders]
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
This is what I found when looking for info on the Feature Port

The Gemini Feature Port allows hardware designers to add additional functionality to Gemini that can be controlled via the serial connection.

In order to focus using the Gemini, you must have an adapter board accessory connected to the feature port.

(f) PC Control
Gemini can be controlled by a remote computer via an RS232C serial cable. Such control is most often accomplished with planetarium software using the LX200 protocol, the ASCOM standard or with the Gemini Control Center program available online from Daniel Görlich at http://www.DocGoerlich.com/GCC. The serial command set description allows the development of custom software. In addition, Gemini's Feature and Encoder Ports can be used to control user-designed hardware.

Don't know if you've read all that and if its any help

JohnG
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
In that case the cable is not the correct one, from memory it has an RJ22 plug.

Bassnut
03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, right Dave ;).

pg 65,69?

The feature port is for a focuser.

[1ponders]
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
You could probably use that cable in lieu of a normal digital drive hand paddle by plugging it into the hand paddle port and operating it from a virtual handcontroller from your computer. But if you get the right RJ22 to RS232 you can do that from most planetarium programs anyway, or even your autoguiding prog

h0ughy
03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
well thats what was confusing the hell out of me Fred, i did read that, but then the cable which was supposed to be the controlling one for the mount had those connections. hey it never hurts to ask and show your ignorance :rofl: and here is me thinking that there was some functionality that software unlocked by using this port:screwy:

So now i will be after another cable to connect the PC to the mount, and can you use a double adapter to keep the GPS on there (oK i am slightly possessed)

h0ughy
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
maybe thats what is was for?

so must look for a correct cable now so i can order tonight or tomorrow and get friday.....:lol:

Bassnut
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Gaud, um NOPE, its one or the other unforch, dont try a double adaptor Dave, smoke :P

h0ughy
03-03-2010, 07:45 PM
nah didnt wanna hear that Fred:(

LOL could have done that with a real scope like a meade:rofl: (now i know that did work:P). was kidding about the real scope part;)

Bassnut
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Whaaa..... Meades are real.........man :D, and, they have a GPS without chewing up the serial port ;).

Really, you dont need the GPS on the G11 every night, no drama. Once you get used to Gemini, youll love it.

tlgerdes
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I thought the instructions for the GPS says to plug it in, sync, then remove and restart the mount.

Barrykgerdes
04-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I just had a quick read through the manual and while it is inferred that the GPS unit is only required at startup I could not find any direct reference to say it needs to be disconnected if the serial port is required for computer control. The nearest I could find was connecting a "PC or GPS unit". However it is quite satisfactory to remove the GPS cable once the Gemini is synchronised. The Gemini will retain this data while ever the battery back up is working in the Gemini.

There are two fully functional RS 232 ports on the Gemini one via the RJ22 socket and one through the DB15 connector that is normally connected to the hand controller. If you don't use the handcontroller this port is available.

When I got my (now in Trevor's possession) G11 I just set it up on the floor beside the computer and played with it while checking some specifics in the Manual.

I wasn't very impressed with the GCC program at first so I wrote my own. In doing this I got a better insight into the GCC and now Trevor uses the GCC all the time during set up.

Barry

Exfso
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
You might want to try these groups, there is a fountain of information there.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini_Users/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Losmandy_users/

Cheers

Peter

h0ughy
04-03-2010, 02:14 PM
thanks ,

seeing as though i am pretty useless i bought another connection from bintel today

Grahame
04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi guys,

quote from losmandy.com

"Plug large connect in to the Gemini feature port and the small connect in to the Gemini RS-232 port.
Make sure that the GPS unit is away from the mount.
Turn on the Gemini, wait 3 to 5 minutes.
Turn off the Gemini, wait 15 seconds and then turn on the Gemini.
All information will be downloaded into the Gemini unit.
Unplug the Garmin GPS unit. You can do this with out turning off the Gemini."

the feature port provides power to the GPS unit and the data from it is 4800bps, no parity,8,1 format received through the RS232 port.

Once the above procedure has been completed the unit is unplugged and PC control cable plugged in.

works every time :)

Grahame.

h0ughy
04-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Grahame,

i have the starGPS unit where it uses the extra power from the extra din plug and connects to the rs232 port, not the garmin one.

Grahame
04-03-2010, 09:38 PM
hughy,

Irrespective of where power comes from, the gemini will do it's SRAM/RTC updates when turned on using a standard GPS NMEA output coming from the GPS to the rs232 port. Thats all it needs for your session as at this point I will unplug the GPS and connect the computer for the rest of the night :)

Grahame

h0ughy
04-03-2010, 09:46 PM
i will follow your lead (no pun intended):lol: thanks for the top tips:thumbsup:

h0ughy
31-05-2010, 01:11 PM
well update - i have a new PC conencted with a geniune serial port dedicated for this task. I have loaded starry night pro and the ascom drivers and updates and plugins. i cannot connect to the G11 no matter what, yet the cable is testing ok and it is the one supplied to do the job. this is very very frustraiting

[1ponders]
31-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Have you checked the communication setting in the Gemini Dave?

btw i've never been able to connect the Gemini to Starry Night. Try CdC and see if that works

Omaroo
31-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Geoff (Asterisk) and I easily and successfully connected his Gemini to Voyager. No problems to speak of...

h0ughy
31-05-2010, 03:09 PM
i have set everything under the sun - even used the trial version of GCC - no go. I have voyager (the 2cent special) but it doen not have the full database i require. I will give it a go though - i have used everything but the kitchen sink.

I will try CDC and see if that works as well but it is frustraiting me. the port works wit hthe GPS, and the com port works on the PC (can connect to eq6 hand control) so the ports themselves work:help:

Octane
31-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Are you 100% certain that the cable is good and there's no crossed wires or anything anywhere?

I have a spare cable I could loan you if you like to test (DSUB-9 serial to RJ11). The guys at work made me up a couple and they both work beautifully via a USB-serial connection, too.

H

Barrykgerdes
31-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi David

Have you ever had any control of the Gemini from your computer.
I made my own cable from the directions and it worked first time from TheSky ver 6 connected as a Gemini, GCC , Stellarium and a program I wrote myself. There was no need for ASCOM drivers.

If there is no Gemini in the list try the LX200. The protocol is the same.

If you get no response using a known good cable I would start to suspect that there is something internally in the Gemini itself like a burnt out buffer in the signal line. I have had that trouble in LX200's from faulty connections/voltage spikes etc. However I think you said that a GPS unit worked. Don't forget that the GPS unit needed a special nul modem cable.

Barry

wasyoungonce
31-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I had trouble with connecting to a computer when I 1st got my G11/Gemini.

I soon found that my serial cable to RJ22 wiring was different to the Losmandy requirements (although fine on a previous different mount).

I had to re-terminate the RJ22 cable to that of pg 80/81 of the Gemini lvl4 manual.

h0ughy
31-05-2010, 04:53 PM
i got the cable from Bintel, and sent it back the first time when i had problems - they tested it and said it worked - then sent it back. i haven't had a chance to install it until i built the observatory PC again.

I am getting that desperate i probably will take you up on the offer

h0ughy
31-05-2010, 04:55 PM
no Barry i havent - thats why i am trying now. i will try the lx 200 protocol and see if that works

h0ughy
31-05-2010, 04:56 PM
this was supposed to be a genuine LOSMANDY cable connection?

cfranks
16-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Any improvement Dave? I've only just seen this thread and may be able to help. I use GCC all the time to manually control the Gemini through the Serial Port. I can't/don't use GCC with software that uses the ASCOM interface, but said software still uses the Serial Port.

Charles

h0ughy
16-06-2010, 03:50 PM
no improvement whatsoever. i have a friend who is going to loan me his cable to test on the system - it does work on his......

sejanus
17-06-2010, 01:57 PM
dave if you use a straight terminal program, can you see ascii characters and so on coming back from the mount?