PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 Pro at latitude 90.

gb_astro
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Would anyone know if the HEQ5PRO can be set up to work in ALT/AZ fashion by setting the Dec axis to 90 degrees? I was looking at one at the local astro shop and it does not appear that you can do this with just the adjusting bolts. The bolts themselves seem to get in the way

Thanks,
gb.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-03-2010, 01:13 AM
You need to remove the bolts and manually move the head to the full upright position. Then you can screw them back in to stop the mount from wobbling. You will also need to either have a machinist make you a rotating puck affair that fits between the Head and the Tripod that allows the head to swivel 360 degrees (GFL with that one!) or mount the whole set-up on a Lazy Susan type base.

There seem to be loads of plans for these bases on every astro-website. While most are geared toward making a base for a Dob. mount, they should up-scale pretty well.
The HEQ5 is a fine medium sized mount and why someone like ADM or Altair hasn't made a conversion puck is beyond me.
Good luck!
Peter

gb_astro
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks Peter.

When you say "full upright position" I assume you mean the 0 deg. Dec. position?

I was hoping I could take the bolts out, lay it back to 90 deg. Dec. so the Dec axis would become the Az axis and the RA axis the Alt axis ??
(But then I guess I could only get one bolt back in.)

gb.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
gb,
Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific.
You can do either, but one bolt SHOULD be enough to hold it steady (he said with his fingers crossed).:)