PDA

View Full Version here: : WO Megrez 72 doublet Apo opinions?

mldee
02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm still rummaging around looking at options to upgrade my guidescope to a combined guidescope/widefield imaging scope for my QHY8.

The Megrez seems well priced on the WO store and free shipping is very attractive.

Any helpful advice/comments on this scope or my intended use thereof?:thanx:

Moon
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I just use mine as a guide scope. You will need a field flattener for imaging, so factor that into the price. eg WO PFlat2
Also think about how you are going to mount it - it has a 'V' style foot bolted onto the bottom (can be removed it needed)
As a guide scope, you will need some 2" extensions on the back to get the guide camera to come to focus.
It looks good and the retractable dew shield is handy.
It has a nice rotator built in, but I never use it.
I don't think the focuser will take much weight. For a guide scope its ok holding up a QHY5 in my case, but I would say it could struggle to hold a heavy camera in focus when pointed straight up.

Any more q's , just ask.

James

OzRob
03-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I have one that I use with my WO FLT110 and with the WO guiding rings it works very well. I once tracked through the meridian and there was no obvious signs of any shift when it moved through.

The scope has a focus lock so there should be no issue with focus shift when using a heavier camera.

With my Orion Starshoot I have never had any problems finding a guide star. With an 80mm extension tube the SS focuses at between 5 and 5.5cm. The tube is fully extended at 8cm so this will give you an idea of how much extension is required. I have also used it with my diagonal and had no problem reaching focus.

I have only used the 'scope for guiding but at some stage I hope to use it for widefield imaging.

mldee
04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
James, Rob, thanks for your inputs, much appreciated.
During my cyber rummaging I came across a Megrez 80II triplet apo and picked that up, so won't be buying a 72 now.

A flattener's next, but that can wait awhile until I've looked at the raw results.

TheDecepticon
04-03-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think they make the Flat II anymore. I had heaps of trouble getting one. You might have to go for the new Flat IV.