PDA

View Full Version here: : picture of the week

TrevorW
01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Who decides whose image appears as picture of the week

I've noticed some really good pictures by Australian contributers who have been long time members being by passed for images from relative newcomers

In fact I've ssen some regular contributers apparently being ignored completely

I would hope no bias exists in deciding who warrants picture of the week as such things decions should in all fainess to all contributers unbiased and independent especially on a site with 6000 members

jjjnettie
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
:) It's Mikes privilege to choose the image of the week.

Jen
01-03-2010, 10:37 PM
:screwy: we should all vote for the pic of the week :D

h0ughy
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
he who maketh the website decideth who's image will adorn thy website

jjjnettie
01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
We already get to vote on the monthly photo challenge.
LOL and besides, RHIP

Jen
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
:lol::lol: lol Houghy

TrevorW
01-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Ah but should it be ??? or picked by a group of moderators which would then remove any biases also this website is no longer 1 person

jjjnettie
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
It's Mikes bat and ball Trevor.

TrevorW
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry JJ but I think you are wrong in this instance a forum such as this is not 1 person

Octane
02-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Trevor,

From memory, Mike simply picks images that catch his eye.

H

iceman
02-03-2010, 04:59 AM
This has already been discussed, and almost all contributors to this thread contributed to that one! :)

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=46567

My answer is here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=458901&postcount=10

And the reasons/answers hasn't changed.

There's nothing wrong with wanting another photo of the week type thing voted on by the members, and at some stage it may happen, but that's not what IOTW is right now.

TrevorW
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
So am I flogging a dead horse or should I be a pain in your side down the track

iceman
02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Trevor can you explain to me how any system could possibly suit all of your requirements.

So are you saying that only regular contributors should get IOTW? How is that not biased?

There's 52 weeks in a year, that's a maximum of 52 images in a year.
Yet literally hundreds or possibly thousands of images get posted each year, by likely hundreds of contributors.

If I tried to ensure every regular contributor was selected for IOTW at least once it could take months if not years to get through everyone.

How would that help? If it was selected by a panel, which images go into the selection criteria? All images posted that week? Some weeks it'll be more than others (full moon, new moon).
And there'll still be biases, because a panel is more likely to vote a superstar image - people like Mike, Jase, Tom, Peter, Marcus, Greg etc would always be IOTW because their images are generally better than everyone else's.

The way I select it now, I ensure I don't always select the same person every week and do try and spread it around a bit. But I've already stated my "criteria" in the other thread.

So if by flogging a dead horse, you mean, will IOTW be chosen by a panel? Then the answer is yes - I don't see any pressing need to change the way IOTW is chosen right now.

There are other changes coming up this year which will give other opportunities to showcase great work by IceInSpace Astrophotographers. So as a general "idea", it's already on the list so there's no need to bring it up.