PDA

View Full Version here: : do dew zappers affect planetary imaging?

Robert_T
25-11-2005, 11:25 AM
To quote hitchiker below from previous thread on temp sensing for SCTs

Any thoughts, comments out there guys?

cheers,

bird
25-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I have always thought that dew heaters must have an adverse effect, sort of like sticking your hand in front of the tube causes visible heat shimmer.

But I've never used a dew heater so I can't give any solid answer - the closest I come is to use a hairdryer to remove condensation on my secondary, and I know that totally destroys the imaging ability of my scope for about 5 minutes afterwards until the air around the secondary has cooled down.

Bird

beren
25-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Without a heater on a SCT you ll get 0 chance of success if Dew rears its head , there would have to be some impact I guess but depending on your dew control system you can lessen the chances with a adjustable controller like the kendricks or dew-buster . Interesting i was out two times in the last week imaging Mars and the first night i had the scope out in the afternoon to cooldown and the conditions where good in the evening with no dew but I got better results the next night when i got home late from work and virtually set the scope straight away from the garage and had to use my heater :confuse3:

astronut
04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a homemade dew zapper on my Unitron 4" refractor. The Main objective, eyepiece, Finder objective and eyepiece are all protected. Before installing the heaters my observing session on any resonably moist night would end after about half and hour. After installation no dew all night, even on the most moisture laden atmosphere.
You just have to be careful not to turn the heater control up too much.
Where you set it will come with experience. Cheers, John:)

Striker
04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
For a dew heater to work...it only has to create a differnce of temperture in end of the tube of a couple of degrees.....as long as you dont have it too hot I cant see it making a difference.