PDA

View Full Version here: : Great site for Losmandy G11 users

bird
24-11-2005, 07:14 PM
If you have the Gemini GOTO unit, check out this site that I found today:

http://www.docgoerlich.de/Rene.html

Thanks to this site I found more programming codes for my Gemini, and I'm a happy bunny.

Bird

[1ponders]
24-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Great Techi site Bird. Betcha young Robby knows about it.

Robby
25-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Yep, seen that one before, but me from the anti-Gemini front, it is of little use!
Not a big fan of Gemini...
Cheers

bird
25-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Robby, sounds like you've had a bad experience somewhere with the Gemini??

I've emailed Rene at that website and for the princely sum of $25 I can upgrade the firmware on my Gemini to the latest version. I've had nothing but good experiences so far with my G11/Gemini, and the ability to upgrade it even though it's now almost 6 years old is fantastic.

regards, Bird

Robby
25-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi Bird,
No I haven't had a bad experience with Gemini. It works as it should. The UI is pretty nasty but it seems to work ok.
It is way too over-priced however!! Which is the main reason for my comment.. :)
I have done a design for an alternative GOTO for Losmandy, but so far haven't done anything. I'm currently looking at integrating the star-mate product with the ArgoNavis to give a cheap GOTO version for Losmandy. I'm currently on the hunt for some decent motors. With my system I reckon I could do full goto plus wireless remote for under $1000 (including the cost of the AN)...

[1ponders]
25-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Now you've got me interested Robby :D That'd be fantastic.

netwolf
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Robby, How far did you get with this system?
I was thinking similarly using the Argonavis with Sidrealtech's servo goto system to create an alternative goto. The question is finding the correct servo motors to work with the sidrealtech and losmandy mount. I wonder if the Servo motors provided with the Gemini can be bought separately and used.

After finding my mates Gemini at our last visit to Kulunura it was just a pain to go through the menu's. The autostar in comparison made the Gemini look like overtly complex to use. While I know the ArgoNavis based on reviews is much more user friendly. As such a system designed using the Argo as the brain would be much better. I have spoken with Gary on several occasions and I think it has far greater potential to drive Mounts then the Gemini.

Regards
Fahim

allan gould
07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree that the GEmini layout takes getting use to, but what really annoys me is the damed handset. What a clunker!!!!!!!!!!
Just wish someone would devise a better one

jase
07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Once you understand the Gemini functions (and in particular how to work the paddle) it becomes quite intuitive. However, to get the true benefits from the Gemini, it is best controlled/programmed through software.

Just in case people here weren't aware, but Peter Ward from atscope can programme your eprom to the latest rev. I simply bought another eprom and sent it to him as I didn't want a mount with "no brains" for a couple of days.

Phil
07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Has anyone had trouble opening this page as when i click on it it give me a 404 error. Can anyone help.
Phil

leon
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Me to Phil, it wont open.

Leon

netwolf
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Did not open for me either, however the main page works.
http://www.docgoerlich.de/