PDA

View Full Version here: : Collimating a meade schmidt newtonian??

5ash
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I know what to do to collimate this telescope but does anyone know how the cap covering the secondary mirrors adjustment screws is removed??
philip:shrug:

5ash
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Found how , i decided to give it a go and ran my finger nail around a small gap on the edge of the cap and it seemed to widen.then used a small screw driver with bent blade to finish the job. took a while and was so close to the corrector plate.youd think meade would have made it easier and safer to remove.
philip

Arthur Alchin
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Gooday 5ash

I also have a meade S/N ( i not sure whether we are a rare breed), min is the 8".

Had it about 3 yrs, not collimated at all as yet, don't think it needs it but i may be wrong. None of th die hards have criticised it's collimation so i'm guess it is ok.

If needed is it a difficult job? Paperwork reakons it is easy, but i guess that is written by the pro's. Am currenly considering a better focuser, don't like the rack and pinion, also i have binoviewers which need a focal reduction.

any hints on "tweeking" the S/Ns.

Will be at the "Soaring Club" on the central coast next saturday night with the pony club boys are u going??

5ash
07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Arthur,
Just aquired this scope yesterday and so far have prised off the cap covering the adjustment screws on the secondary so that i can adjust the secondary .I found a laser collimator showed it a little bit off the centre donut on the primary. Easily adjusted , now collimation looks spot on.Very small f ratio scopes like schmidt newtonians must be spot on to give really good images.When the humidity gets lower I'll clean the corrector plate , looks very mucky! If you need any help adjusting yours let me know.
regards philip