PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone with a Megrez scope

Marke
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
A question for anyone with a Mergez that has a mounting foot.
I am piggybacking my M88 with rings and removing the mounting foot but what to do about the holes left ? Cant find any screws to fit.
If someone else has done this what did you end up doing about them ?

rogerg
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Mine is either left empty or has the same bolt back in it to attach an electronic focuser.

Marke
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Thank the original bolts are too long to put back and the holes
mean the chance of contaminants getting inside.

rogerg
02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
There would be other options like to increase the distance between rings and whatever you are mounting the telescope to, or if it's a plate like a dovetail plate shorten the plate so the bolt can be in (I had to do this for my M90 anyhow, due to other protrusions).

but.... if it were me and I were concerned about dust getting in there, I'd just put a short piece of black electrical insulation tape neatly over the hole.

Marke
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Probably have to cover them up with something by the look of it

AlexN
02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I took the bracket off my WO ZS66SD and ZS70ED. Covered the holes with white electrical tape... It was the goods..

Moon
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
There is a really cool nuts and bolts shop near where I work. I can take in any screw/nut/bolt/cap screw and they can always get me what I want - in various types of stainless, black, any length, any qty etc etc. These places are really handy and they have no issue selling you a single screw for 20 cents or whatever it is.
I'm going to remove the mounting foot on my 72FD soon and that's where I'll get a replacement screw from.
I replaced all the rusty screws on my Mak Newt with nice shiny stainless ones from this shop - it look great now and it only cost a couple of bucks.
IMHO the Megrez scopes look great - don't wreak it with a shonky job - looks **are** important guys!:P
James

Marke
03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Thxs James I agree I would rather put 2 small replacement screws in there.
If you manage to get them can you pass on the details of where and thread type , maybe they can send me a couple.

Marke
03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
OK went to bunnings and found the right sizes allen key bolts - standard 6mm. Got the shortest ones and cut them down to a few mm in length
and all good. Looks much better than tape.