PDA

View Full Version here: : iPad...

Wavytone
28-01-2010, 01:56 PM
interesting.. kind of like a big iPhone 3GS ... load it up with star atlasses in PDF format, StarMap Pro and ready to go for an observing session.

Has the compass and GPS as well so it can double as the finder... a bloody big finder...

Now to persuade the respective publishers to put out an ePUB version of Hartungs and some of our favourite atlasses...

lacad01
28-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Was reading up some articles / reviews on it this morning. Certainly looks like an iPhone on steroids.
iPad (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/three-reasons-the-ipad-will-be-a-success/story-e6frgakx-1225824204183)

Wavytone
28-01-2010, 02:04 PM
It's the iPhatPhone...

supernova1965
28-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Only it has no phone but I would love one of these wonder how much they will cost:D

Octane
28-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Around $1,100.

Would be great to show prospective clients a portfolio on!

H

lacad01
28-01-2010, 02:49 PM
There's a 3G model
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Octane
28-01-2010, 02:57 PM
US pricing: http://www.apple.com/ipad/pricing/

H

kustard
28-01-2010, 05:01 PM
The iPad (a pretty poor effort of a name IMHO) is a pretty big risk for Apple, but for people who have or are thinking of getting a Kindle then this will be the tool of choice. For now though I'll stick to my iPhone and maybe get a MacBook Pro in the next 6 months or so.

AlexN
28-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd be VERY keen if they released a tablet like that running Mac OSX, however this, being a 'i' device, runs the same OS on the ipod touch/iphone etc.. whilst its good, it is still somewhat limited... and the pricing seems pretty extreme given the tiny storage space too...

If they had something running OSX with a 500gb hdd in it, I'd be all over it like flies to a dung heap... how cool would that look attached to your mount running cameras/guiding/mount control... :D oh yes...

Omaroo
28-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Not sure of that Simon. :) I bought a Kindle because of one overwhelming feature not shared with the LCD-based iPad, and that's e-Ink. The Kindle e-Ink display is far more readable for periods of time than LCD - or any other backlit technology. Apart from that it is designed to be a book - nothing more, and this is something it does brilliantly. It doesn't purport to be anything else, and doesn't even have a touchscreen or anything else unnecessary. Colour isn't required at all as it's trying to emulate a paperback.

I'd have both devices, but the Kindle is an electronic book first and foremost. The iPad isn't, it's just another feature and therefore slightly compromised. I'd not put the Kindle away because I had an iPad.

spacezebra
28-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I like the idea of a Star Map on an iPad!

Cheers Petra d.

Wavytone
28-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Not really. VoIP has been enabled in the SDK today and that means all you need to add is a bluetooth headset, and you have telephony on this thing if you have a paid Skype account.

The carriers must be crapping themselves at the thought of iPhones + VoIP for local calls, the networks are already creaking under the load and on top of that it will begin to eat into the revenue from dial-up calls.

Octane
28-01-2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

lol, it was inevitable.

H

AlexN
28-01-2010, 07:05 PM
LOL!! :)

Never thought I'd say this.. But...

I agree with Hitler..

Omaroo
28-01-2010, 07:11 PM
:lol::thumbsup::rofl::D

Octane
28-01-2010, 07:34 PM
http://img.ircimages.com/ircimages/1/e/1ef9cae68b615c1ef3d75267c0109417.jp g

lol.

H

Barrykgerdes
28-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Date 28 Jan 2011:- News Bulletin

After a spate of fatal accidents and traffic snarls the government has passed two new laws:
Using an Ipad while driving will be a capital offence bringing a fine of $1000000 and life imprisonment.

Possession of an Ipad in a car will bring a penalty of $100000 and 10 years inprisonment.

multiweb
28-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Nah...I'm sure Apple will come up with an iBag and you'll be safe from front on collisions. :thumbsup:

mithrandir
28-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Have HP/Compaq stopped selling the iPaq?

How close can you get to trademark infringement without winding up in court?

AlexN
28-01-2010, 08:59 PM
or maybe ieyes so you can look at your eyetoys and have a video on the screen showing whats in front of the car?!!

Maybe iDriver?

Davros
29-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Its a terrible name, heard a funny this afternoon suggesting the ipad is for those heavy workflow weeks.

Octane
29-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Mick,

There's a video on YouTube that was posted 2 years ago of a Mad TV sketch...

H

MrB
29-01-2010, 01:19 AM
dead link H

Octane
29-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Bugger, it got taken down.

It was four images; two in a row.

Row 1 column 1:
Steve Jobs holding an iPhone

Row 1 column 2:
Steve Jobs holding an iPad

Row 2 column 1:
Steve Jobs holding a Macbook Air

Row 2 column 2:
Steve Jobs holding an enormous (-ly Photoshop'ed) laptop

lol.

H

Jen
29-01-2010, 04:01 AM
thats cool :thumbsup:

lacad01
29-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Hmm, gonna need bigger pockets now ;)

TrevorW
29-01-2010, 03:13 PM
no usb ports etc etc what were they thinking

Omaroo
29-01-2010, 04:13 PM
What do you mean Trevor? It was never and will never be marketed as a fully-fledged "computer" as such - so this is not a failing. It's a wireless networking device - something which it excels at. There are no need for USB ports. IF you do that you may as well stick a monitor port in as well. Oh..and then a ...

I'm not sure that I'm catching the point of your observation. :shrug:

TrevorW
29-01-2010, 04:45 PM
To me it's only half a computer we've got netbooks, laptops, tablets etc which will do all of what it's offering and more.

Personally I can't see the point in having a device solely to be used for wireless networking it's just another gimmicky toy and I for one won't be wasting my money on it because it doesn't fulfill what I require from a portable device.

Additionally, because Apple has a need to appease their mobile network partners Apple has not implemented technology (webcam) that would allow iPad to iPad Skype, for example.

Yes, it is a well designed little package but you'd expect this from Apple, but unfortunately it forces people to buy ALL content for it from Apple.

It appears to be a rushed product without the full range of slick features Apple normally has. Either that, or they are planning on cashing in big on the second generation and hoping all the Apple die hards buy the first gen.

This could have been revolutionary, running OSX or a cut down version. It could have replaced the netbook - completely. But instead it sits in a tiny niche that will only expand because of Apple product hype and not product quality and usefulness

:D

Satchmo
29-01-2010, 05:00 PM
It's aimed squarely at the exploding E-book reader market with Apple having their own i-book store.Thats about it.

It will be great for running some of the useful Iphone apps on a big screen and an absolute pleasure for internet browser. When Ipad specific apps start hitting the market it will be awesome.

I don't really buy into this argument that it doesn't take the place of an Iphone as well as a netbook etc. The average household of the furture will have a number of different devices that do specific things really well and the Ipad will be another of them. Would like to have one some time , because I just love touch screen tablet type computing. I love my Ipod Touch to bits .

It will add to my 2 PC's , notebook, netbook and Ipod Touch :)

kustard
29-01-2010, 05:04 PM
*nods*

You make good sense. Stop being right all the time *wink* ;)

Not meaning to get off topic but do you get a decent battery life from your Kindle?

kustard
29-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Here's the image again ;)

http://i.imgur.com/wApCi.png

Omaroo
29-01-2010, 05:51 PM
:)

Kindle 2 LiPO battery life?

1) With 3G radio enabled (i.e: permanently online to Amazon): 3-4 days

2) With 3G radio disabled (i.e: offline): 9-10 days

And that's reading maybe 200 pages a day before bed.

:thumbsup:

Wavytone
30-01-2010, 08:51 PM
The trouble is, what everyone has been asking for has been around for a while: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook
- camera, 4GB RAM, 2.13 GHz C2D CPU, USB ports, OSX, iChat/Skype, the lot.

If you want one, you can buy one. The trouble is they don't sell well, which is an example of a motto of mine: "what the masses think they want is often wrong".

The iPhone users understand the iPad (self included). The "internet appliance" concept is what makes it work.

There is one other thing - being an original mac user from 1984 - I suggest you hunt down Apple's video of the "Knowledge Navigator" (various versions are on the net). In some respects the iPad is quite close to the Knowledge Navigator concept - and it is remarkable that here we are 20 years later and such a device STILL does not exist.

IMHO the iPad will sell like quite well, but to niche buyers who understand and have a real use for it, plus a few for whom it will be a status symbol like the MacBook Air.

kustard
31-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Impressive :D

Was talking to my brother in-law about the iPad as he was asking me my thoughts about it being useful for reading sheet music and I pretty much said to him what Chris said about the Kindle. He agreed that the Kindle would most likely be the better solution in that situation. He was also impressed with the iPad overall and said he could see it being a useful tool in many situations, even saying something like the "Pick to Light" systems places like Amazon/EzyDVD use in their warehouses could be really benefit from the iPad.

Phil
31-01-2010, 05:32 PM
As for the Kindle i have one and love it. You can also put the kindle on the i phone and computer now.
Phil

Omaroo
31-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Yep - I have it on all my devices - laptops, desktops and phone. They all synchronise so that you can pick up your phone and read a few pages - and then later your Kindle - and turn-on to the same page you left off on your other device. "WhisperNet", the system that looks after all this is brilliant. Although you can read the books on these other devices, they just don't give you the E-Ink experience like the Kindle does. Love it!!! :thumbsup:

Omaroo
31-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Especially the new 9" Kindle DX Simon! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fox
31-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Octane, Hilter & iPad, seriously funny, LOL!

Omaroo, yeah I agree with you. I reckon Apple thought long and hard to decide what the tablet was going to be and what it will do, and IMHO they have come up with a very elegant machine for its desired goals. Sure, it could have been a Mac OSX interface but that operating system really doesn't suit touch input, which is why PC tablets haven't been all the rage; ie. Windows XP is not suited for touch either.

I'll get one, because it seems to be the device I've been waiting for. I've always wanted some type of laptop, but I've never bought a laptop because I think they are too big, whilst Netbooks are not Mac-based. The iPad form factor really appeals to me, and the idea of running an iPad optimised StarMap Pro and Carina Voyager, wow!

Fox

Omaroo
31-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah baby ... Voyager - with my SkyFi and all...... :thumbsup:

hulloleeds
31-01-2010, 10:13 PM
With EEPC's (netbooks) below $400, now the ipad is a tough sell.

AlexN
31-01-2010, 10:17 PM
yeah, GPS, Voyager and Sky-Fi.. All very cool... But still - It can't run the guiding or the CCD.. so you still need a laptop....

Since these came out I've been looking at a lot of different tablet PC options as I think this would be pretty awesome for an astrobox... Theres a few good ones, a few average ones, and some that are awesome but damned expensive... Theres even a few ruggedized ones that are water/shock/dust proof.. That would be the go... no more dew concerns. :)

Omaroo
31-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Alex - I ran a Fujitsu Stylistic ST-5032 for a couple of years. I had my day with the Tablet PC under XP. I won't be going back, but you might convince me to sell mine at a reasonable price... ;)

http://www.tegatech.com.au/products/digitizers/Fujitsu_ST5032.htm

Fox
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Alex, yeah, the iPad seems only good for Goto at this stage. And I wonder how willing I would be to expose a pretty iPad to dew and outdoor dark site use - I hope some 3rd party brings out one hell of a rugged protective cover/case. Fox

supernova1965
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Who has heard of these seems like it could be good for field use or it could be just cool:thumbsup:

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

Davros
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
They were on CSI Miami a while ago, looks cool but has its drawbacks from memory.

AlexN
01-02-2010, 10:39 PM
the inaccuracy of them can be a pain, but on the right surface they are super cool! :) They seem to work really well on almost any uniformly flat, matte surface... They are hopeless on a glass desktop, and not really great on glossy plastic... I never tested it on a dewy surface.. Might have to give it a go...

Omaroo
28-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Arrived this morning - 64GB/3G model with keyboard. Coolest thing I've ever had. :D

CarinaSoft Voyager is insane on it, as is GPS mapping.

StarMap Pro - still to deliver an iPad version, so it appears at iPhone size still. A bit disappointing for them...

iceman
28-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I didn't realise you could get a keyboard for them! Very cool.

I'm hoping i'll be able to convince my CIO that we need to get some in the office, as our Mobile Web App needs to be enhanced for the iPad too. So we'll need one for testing :)

Omaroo
28-05-2010, 12:16 PM
The very same reason I bought one Mike. Development.

And fun... :lol:

Octane
28-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Chris,

You lucky so-and-so! I went and had a play with one at lunch time at JB Hi-Fi.

Wow, they're sleek, elegant, beautiful to hold and very responsive! The screen resolution is to die for. I want one just to use it as a glorified photo frame, muhaha!

$1,048 for the 3G 64 GB version + accessories. Yikes. I can't justify the cost at the moment.

Tell me, how do you get the 3G component working? Is that an extra cost?

Cheers.

H

rogerg
28-05-2010, 03:19 PM
That's the bit that gets me too. 3 times the cost of many netbooks too. So hard to justify the purchase.

Omaroo
28-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey there Humayun :)

I'm typing this on the new beastie. What a machine.

I bought the 3G version because I want to be able to use it in the field in an emergency (server down, etc). The SIM is Telstra prepaid, at $30 a shot for 1GB (3GB intro deal for this and next month) - and for the moment they time out after a month from activation. This is ok for me as I'd activate it if I was going somewhere I might require it. Otherwise it's rarely needed. Some say that this device, and others like it coming, will trigger a carrier war to provide uncapped download limits for mobile devices. Not too bad if that happens :)

iceman
28-05-2010, 03:34 PM
The iPhone and iPad should definitely help reduce data costs - it's just ridiculous at the moment. That's why you see so many giving free data to social media (facebook, twitter etc).

AdrianF
28-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I use my iPhone all the time. My wife believes I have integrated with the phone and it's now part of me. I will be getting the ipad as soon as I can even though I have 2 laptops ( 1 belongs to me 1 belongs to work) an HP Jornada and a desktop. I like gadgets and have too many. I was asked at work about a week ago"if you had a $1000 to spend on IT what would you buy?" I told them ipad. Ican see the benefit of owning one and will get the phone version sometime down the track I reckon astro software would look awsome.

Adrian

gbeal
28-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Got it at last Chris? Good one. Nice with SkyFi alright huh? I love the way it works the EM200. You need the later Voyager though, although if you just loaded it this will be the latest version.
Gary

Liz
28-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Oooh, looks very cool Chris, and will definitely keep one in mind ... down the track, or sooner. ;)
Heading overseas again next year, so will consider. :) Does an SD card squeeze in there somehow??

Omaroo
28-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah Gary! At last :) Voyager works brilliantly doesn't it? I haven't tried the SkyFi/ArgoNavis with it yet, but will this weekend.

Liz - there are no card slots of any kind. It's not trying to be a laptop. Saying that though - there is a neat solution :)

You can connect a USB cable, directly, or insert the SD card into the adapter directly. Nice!

gbeal
28-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes Chris, it does. I thought the iPhone controlling the mount was neat, but this is a whole new level.
Gary

spacezebra
29-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi guys

Had a look a the iPad today at JB. Wow, the planetarium program is fantasic and ibooks looks great. Its now on my Birthday list for July. :D

Cheers Petra d.

DavidU
29-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Mmmm, yes, I think I want an iPad.I'm not usually one for new gadgets but this is a new type of product.
Apple is killing them these days.

Omaroo
29-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Not bad for a mobile device - Download DSLR images direct to the iPad (keeping originals on camera) in the field, edit them quickly, and then upload them direct to your FB page or Flikr, etc. All before you even pack up your gear for the night. Very nice... :)

App: Photogene (3 or 4 bucks) - levels, curves, sharpness, etc. Lightweight but....mobile. :thumbsup:(Actual size)

supernova1965
29-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I get to play with one on Thursday a mate of mine got the 3G 64 GB version for his birthday and he said I could have a look good to have a friend like that.:thumbsup::D

gbeal
30-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Might look at that "Photogene" Chris. You connect you camera direct or via a card slot? Don't think I will be able to connect the Starlight, LOL.
Gary

higginsdj
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I do not understand why people still try to compare a netbook with an iPad. If a netbook came with 3G connectivity then yes, it would win hands down - but they don't, so it is trying to compare apples and oranges.

Can you netbook control your observatory whilt the wife has dragged you off to see thw relatives for dinner? My iPad can....

Cheers

Jen
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol: thats a classic :rofl::rofl:

JethroB76
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Well if you buy the right model, they do.

Satchmo
10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
You can give 3G connectivity to any computer device with a USB 3G receiver thumbstick.

I had an Ipad on lone for a week from a friend and loaded a few apps. At the end of the day it is an oversised Iphone that you can't put in your pocket. Its fun to use but if I want to do anything serious I go to my PC. It is horrible to type on . I am still watching the scene for non Apple tablets. If I bought an Ipad it would end up being used mainly to browse the Internet while sitting in bed.

Zuts
11-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Except of course a WIFI only Ipad as it doesnt have a USB port and has no way to install the software even if it did.

Of course you can jailbreak it or carry around a 3g wireless modem/router but........

MrB
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/iCade.shtml

higginsdj
11-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Well I never knew that.... I must look into that.

Cheers

JethroB76
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
These from Asus look interesting. Although not until early 2011
http://culvpc.com/asus-ep121-and-ep101tc/

That is cool:lol:

Omaroo
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I fear that you are oversimplifying the iPad Mark by suggesting that for "anything serious" you go to your PC, automatically inferring that the iPad isn't able to be employed for anything "serious". What is "serious"? I think that this is an entirely wrong prognosis. How's being able to look after my entire server farm and those of several deadline-driven international newspaper and magazine publishing clients from anywhere at any time. Is that serious enough? There are huge dollar amounts involved. Several key aspects of their businesses and ours are now depending on this "oversized iPod" of mine. I find the keyboard more than adequate - maybe you need a little more practice. ;) Anyway, you can employ any Bluetooth external keyboard if you really want to.

I can't see enough screen real estate on the iPod or iPhone for them to be truly useful as an main RDP or SSH client device, whereas the iPad at 1024x768 is fantastic for this job. For the apps that use the far larger screen real estate, it is nothing like your iPod. It opens up a plethora of new possibilities for these devices over and above those able to be delivered by the humble iPod. These redesigned apps differentiate the iPad from the iPod/iPhone form factor by a huge margin.

I can honestly report that I haven't really used my laptop for business in several weeks now. I certainly don't take it on the road with me any more. Not once in this time have I needed to plug any USB devices in to perform my duties as I've easily achieved suitable connectivity over 802.11 or 3G. This doesn't sound like a case of the iPad being anything other than a perfect tool for business if used correctly. I don't think that it is for everyone, indeed not, but to suggest it's a mere toy and useless because of it is maybe a little ridiculous. In reference to it not being suitable for your own purposes - that me be the case, but why would you be critiquing something that is not designed to try and fill your specific requirements? It's kind of like passing negative comment on a track car's suitablity when you're really need a 4WD for that hill climb event. They're each designed and built to suit different needs.

Alchemy
12-07-2010, 06:15 AM
I like mine, great for perusing IIS, however a couple issues.... It does not support FLASH so as a result some webpages won't load .. Ie Peter wards website ( no pictures) . Also there is a 20 mb download limit for apps and iTunes , which is frustrating as most itunesU lectures are around that mark and iTunes doesn't give the file size for those lectures . As far as I know you can't attach files to an email ie an excel file... Note it can read them when sent by others, I can't save anywebpages yet... Although I think there is an offline app available, I can't print from it as far as I know.

Where I live I have no incoming landline, so this is now my link to the outside world, it covers 95% of what I need, I have a wireless pc connection from 3 but it only works in the city... Will have to keep that for downloads it appears .

Interested in solutions if anyone has any

Clive

Omaroo
12-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Clive, in point:

1) Flash - read through this thread. A lot has been bandied back and forth on this. The upshot is that it won't happen - by design.

2) Download limit? No, none as such. I've downloaded movies, iTunes uni lectures and podcasts - some well over a gigabyte in size. There is no device-set limit that 'm aware of. You may have some network related issue there as this is true for both wifi and 3G connections. You wouldn't normally use 3G for this anyhow, as you're most likely on a plan that won't be wonderful for large data transfer.

3) You don't attach files to email, you email your document from apps that handle your file. An example - you download a photo from the web (click and hold/save to photo library). You may then go to the library and email that photo from there by opening the photo and selecting "email to:". If you create a word processing document in Pages, you finish the document within that app and either save it to your device locally, sync it with your PC or Mac or email it to someone directly. You don't save the document from the app and then go to email to mail it as there is no common file system as such. It's not hard to get used to.

4) There are several apps that allow you to download a website or part thereof for later offline browsing.

5) Native printing to wifi printers is coming shortly we've heard. There are several apps that already allow you to route printing from your iPad to your local printer through your PC or Mac via wifi. I use one now called "Print 'n Share".

Alchemy
12-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks Chris that covers the details.... Some solutions there to follow up on.
I am limited to a 3G connection at the moment, although the client I am currently working for has an unsecured wifi....... Have pointed that out to them! And will not breach their trust.

As for the other 95% of things it's brilliant, portable , boots up quickly, no virus problems, lots of really cheap apps, certainly cheaper than windows programs. The university lectures are great, iBooks is also great. Yet to get the Astro programs but will when I can arrange a friends wifi.

Thanks again. For some pointers.

Clive.

higginsdj
12-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Theres no download limit. I have iTuneU lectures of 500 to 800mb downloaded through iTunes and viewiung on my iPad.....

Alchemy
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
The download limit applies when I am using 3G, which just happens to be all the time. If I had a wifi network it wouldn't matter.

Spanrz
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
My wife just got one. Pretty cool. Though we have used iTouch's, so it's not really out there in "awesomeness", but the screen size is pretty good.

But to have basically a PC without the bulkiness is pretty good.
The 3G sim is with Telstra, I hate that part, but it's not mine to worry about (er to a point when I want to do stuff with it).

I read on "whirlpool" that some people went to the shops, and mucked around with the demo models. They did a "printscreen" and copied it to the "desktop" so to speak.
When the next person come along, there was major confusion on how to operate it.......priceless....what people do for a bit of fun.

Chris, we have a Canon MX870 printer at home. It has a iTouch/iPhone app where you can print files via wifi through the modem router (not directly, has to have an IP).
Though it apparently does printing of "pictures" only at the moment, haven't figured out on how to print a text file or webpage.

Barrykgerdes
14-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Today' Ninemsn news:

Hayao Miyazaki: 'iPad use like masturbation'

Omaroo
14-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah - followed by: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/7929064/hayao-miyazaki-ipad-use-like-masturbation

A bit of a wally, wot! :rolleyes: LOL!

Barry - Stellarium iPad app.... hmmm... that'd be nice :)

Barrykgerdes
14-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi Chris

I believe Fabien is working on on a Maemo version so he might also have something in the pot for ipad. That would be nice particularly with the automatic aligning it would make those cardboard planispheres look mickey mouse.

Hmm! Lay on your back and hold it above you. A personnal planetarium.

Baz

Omaroo
14-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Maemo is a port of Debian, so I imagine that it would be relatively straight forward. Given that, iOS is based on OSX, a Unix derivative, so it'd be nice to see Stellarium on iPad/iPod/iPhone. There are a bunch of planetariums already available for it, and the iPad platform might open up a huge international opportunity for Stellarium - which I'd consider a premium application in comparison to those other than Voyager and StarMapPro.

Barrykgerdes
14-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes I think that is the aim. If Stellarium gets ported to an Ipad I will go and buy one. But at the moment an Ipad is just a "toy" for me and I have other things to get first.

Fabien's contract with the ESO finished in June and I think he is between jobs. I think he has ideas of a comercial version of "stellapad" ? to maybe make some money out of his years of effort. I wish him luck!

Baz

Omaroo
14-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm already running it on my iPad via RDP. LOL!

Here it is... :thumbsup:

OzRob
14-07-2010, 02:00 PM
LOL..he sounds like a bit of a technophobe.

Steffen
14-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I thought me meant that as a compliment, until I read the article… :whistle:

Cheers
Steffen.

higginsdj
14-07-2010, 07:05 PM
For printing I use Print central and I can print anything through wifi or 3G through my home LAN.

I can imagine that a screen dump set to the iPad wallpaper would create a bit of havoc :)

Alchemy
15-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Do any of the star apps have comets that can be categorized by magnitude ? Hence selecting the brightest ones for viewing.

telemarker
15-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Yep, Starmap Pro lists them by magnitude. Skyvoyager doesn't.

On another note, Teamviewer now have an app for the iPad.

Barrykgerdes
15-07-2010, 04:42 PM
My "Boss" would like to be able to read and send emails to her friends but she is most computer illeterate. I have tried to teach her the basics of starting a computer and entering and operating an email program but it is no use.

I ran the promotion video on the ipad mail and showed it to her, how easy it would be send emails with just a couple of finger presses. She was quite impressed. I suggested she purchase one but when I told her the price she said "no Way" so I have not got my ipad. Boo Hoo!

Barry

MrB
16-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Haha!
When I got iOS4 on my phone, after a min or two of playing around I thought that it would be too easy to do that, but for people to do it to demo models.... hahahaha

MrB
16-07-2010, 12:07 AM
iWant an iPad for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEiJFNO1E5g
(Yeah it's not a great demo, and the guy is annoying, but gives you an idea..)

I used to play with this program on the PC a decade ago, when I found it had been 'ported' to the iPhone, I got excited but the screen was just too small.... now it's on the iPad....awesome.

iPhone/Pads are awesome for making music.
Have an awesome synthesizer app on the phone called NLogSynth... if your into that sort of thing, get it... the free version is awesome.

EDIT:
Okay, a better demo of what can be done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJiT90PnMY
This is an awesome track and shipped with ReBirth for the PC as a demo a decade ago. Genius stuff.
More:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqXk6QBHro
(from 1:00 on.... 4:50 on is a cover of Drax Amphetamine)
Pretty much anything done by T.G.Virus for ReBirth is awesome.

EDIT2:
Haha, how many times can i say 'awesome'? :D

Octane
16-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Awesome, Rebirth port!

Wow, someone else who remembers Drax's Amphetamine? Wow. :D

The largest chunk of my music collection is electronica. I used to listen to loads of this 303/808 music. Screamtracker mods, etc.

I wish I had the slightest amount of musical talent. :sigh:

H

MrB
16-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Count hit 7.

LOL H.
I have Drax on Vinyl somewhere, I think.
Have lost a lot of my Vinyl :(

Yeah wish I had the talent too... I invent plenty of awesome music in my head :lol: .... getting it out is the hard part.

erick
16-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Played with one yesterday for the first time.

Needs a handle.

Omaroo
16-07-2010, 09:27 AM
That's a thorough review Eric... :)

Omaroo
24-07-2010, 11:22 PM
OK - here's a quick video I took of the iPad controlling my EM-10 via Carinasoft Voyager 1.6.2 over a localised wifi network.

Works a treat :) Apologies for the Pug snoring in the background....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByzLp1bDUg

Octane
25-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Chris,

That's just porn!

Niiice!

H

Omaroo
25-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey there Humayun :)

Yep - it works very well indeed. When I have the 40D going (rather than the QHY-9) I'll be able to use DSLRemote to control the camera as well as the mount - making the iPad fantastic on the field. Not chained to the scope any more..... yay. :thumbsup:

gbeal
25-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Ha, told you it was good huh.
Gary

higginsdj
27-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Here's an image of my observatory operating via my iPad (and Web Server)
http://www.david-higgins.com/iPad.jpg

Cheers

David

RobF
27-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Dammit Chris - why did you have to record the SOUND of that Tak mount slewing too!!! Agree with H - pure astro porn.

I'm not watching again - my hip pocket is smoking :P :D

Omaroo
27-07-2010, 10:47 PM
LOL! YEah - they sound like jet engines when running at high speed on 24v. Do you like the Pug snore at the end of the slew? :lol:

RB
28-07-2010, 09:37 AM
LOL Chris, I love it.
Nothing like the whirl of a Tak mount.
Might have to buy a second iPad, I never get to use our first one, too many fights over it.

:lol: