PDA

View Full Version here: : Focuser replacement for SW 200mm Newtonian

toryglen-boy
26-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Howdy

Am looking for recommendation for a replacement focuser for the Skywatcher 200mm F5 Newt, the focuser on there is ok visually, but even if i get perfect collimation, i am sure the grub screws on the 2" collar and skewing the CCD slightly, so i need something with a very snug, precise fit, and with preferably a 10:1 fine focuser, the crayford already on the SW sits a couple of inches higher, so i would need something with loads of travel, a 2" extension, or some method of getting it to focus

thanks in advance

;)

pmrid
26-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Moonlite - they make terrific focusers and they come in a sufficient variety of shapes and sizes that you can pretty well guarantee you'll get one that works for you. Be careful though about getting one with too much back focus. You might decide that you want to use the scope both visually and for imaging. If you do, you'll quickly see that they have different back-focus needs. One of the many good things about these focusers is that they come with a kit of spacers that allow you to take a lot of the hassle out of this.
I strongly suggest that you find someone with a similar scope first though. I know of a couple of folks who have had to shorten their SW BD tubes in order to get prime focus with a DSLR.

Peter

wavelandscott
27-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Moonlite or Feathertouch would be the go.

Ron at Moonlite very helpful and responsive...The Feathertouch is a joy to use. I've got a couple of each on different scopes...

I'm a visual only kind of guy so make sure you understand what the change will do to your focus with camera attached...both are lower profile than the stock focuser...you may need extensions etc.(?)