PDA

View Full Version here: : Is it just me, back to front threads?

Lumen Miner
16-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey all!

Since I started posting here, my forums have always been back to front. As in, when I click a thread the messages start at the end of the topic. For a year now I have been reading all your conversations in reverse order.

The other day I logged in using FF (?) not Opera and the threads were the correct way round.. I have no issues on POTN, which seems to be the same forum setup as IIS.

So is it just me on Opera that is back to front? Or is there a button I can click, So I might read your delightful discussions as they were intended?

Thanks for any assistance.

Shep
16-01-2010, 10:18 AM
It has always shown back to front for me too but I use Firefox.

mswhin63
16-01-2010, 10:27 AM
The "User CP" option - "Edit Options" you can reverse the thread newer or older first.

DavidU
16-01-2010, 11:49 AM
What Malcolm said.

iceman
16-01-2010, 02:42 PM
What Malcolm and David said :P

You can change it to display oldest first or newest first.

mithrandir
16-01-2010, 05:50 PM
With the length of threads, I can't see why you would want to start at the oldest post.

99% of the time I only want to see the new posts. With the last 20 on the first page, there aren't that many that I have to go to page 2 to find the first unread reply.

Lumen Miner
16-01-2010, 07:39 PM
99% of the time I want to see the most recent 5 comments to the thread. To see if someone has responded to my comment or has made a new one.

I only need it first to last once, in order to read the thread. Then I like it last to first, because of the above.

So the way it is set out, I think works well just a tad harder to navigate initially,possibly...

Anyways, off to turn everything right way up... :)

Thanks for your quick replies people!!

mswhin63
16-01-2010, 08:52 PM
At the beginning of the thread when opened the is a link "view first unread" I think that is the wording and it will take you to the first unread message. Use it all the time.

mithrandir
16-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I normally use the "New Posts" link and middle click the ones that interest me, then go through the tabs one by one.

mswhin63
16-01-2010, 09:08 PM
After being on he forum and others for year now, I only just noticed that one. Not used to using it as it is hard to break older habits. :D

Lumen Miner
16-01-2010, 10:46 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is priceless!! I never knew my scroll wheel click, opened the links in a background window. for years and years I have been right clicking, open in background tab.
You just saved me years more of doing so.. Thanks!!

mithrandir
16-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Middle click works and opens a new tab in every version of Mozilla or Firefox I've used in the last probably four years.

It doesn't work in IE6, might in IE7 and does in IE8.

bartman
17-01-2010, 06:04 AM
just as a side note ....in FF it comes up as "new posts" and in IE it comes up as "todays posts"
?
bartman

Analog6
17-01-2010, 07:11 AM
I always have it set to newest first, if it looks interesting I go and read from the start.

mojo
18-01-2010, 01:17 PM
If you happen to be following a thread, I suppose you would want to see the newest posts first. The "View first unread" link does that.

For most people though, it only makes sense if the posts are ordered from original start post (oldest) to newest. Otherwise, reading a thread that you have never read before would require you to read back to front and bottom to top - which might be a little strange :)