PDA

View Full Version here: : Moonlite option recommendations

sacredblack
04-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I've read that one of the first upgrades for my LXD 75 SN10" (apart from a sturdier GEM and legs) should be a new focuser.

The Moonlite range seems best priced for me.

The question I have is whether I will be better off getting the Dual Rate Tri Knob version or go for the basic DC Motor control option ? The price is similar. The stepper version is outside my budget range. Keeping in mind that I plan to image with this scope using a Canon 1000d (and better eventually). I don't think I'll get to using a better CCD with this setup. That's for a future scope with a better GEM and leds.

Any leads greatly appreciated,

Steve R.

citivolus
04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Given the scope/mount, you'll likely want to be able to focus as hands off as possible. I'd go for the motorised version.

marki
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
The two speed is nice and smooth so will be ok to use with a camera. If your mount is not too stable then the DC motor option will be better as you do not have to wait for the mount to stop moving (would also be wise to use a remote shutter release on the camera as well). Whatever you do make sure your focuser comes with the compression ring on the 2" barrel as the straight version is not kind to whatever you decide to plug in.

Mark

sacredblack
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks Mark and Ric,

It's the DC Motor version then. And especially thanks for the note on the compression rings. NOTED !

Cheers,

Steve R.

gbeal
04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Let me be the devils advocate here and ask why not a Feather Touch?
One thing Moonlite have all over the Feather Touch is Ron Newman, his service is legendary, whereas the new owners of Starlight have proven to be less customer orientated then the previous owners.
Is it cost or something I am missing. I have had both brands in the past and currently have three of the various FT models.
Gary

AlexN
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I have also had both, FT have the edge as far as overall quality is concerned.. the Moonlite focusers are hard to fault, don't get me wrong, and if anything I think they are impossible to "Fault" but the FT focusers have a certain "FEEL" to them.. sensational gear...

I had the moonlite with the DC motor, I had it controlled with a shoestring FCUSB for autofocus, and it was really really impressive... Especially considering my mount was not strong enough to hold the scope that I had on it (C11 + imaging accessories on an EQ6).. Not touching the scope and inducing vibrations was great!!

Either a FT or a moonlite will make you happy, however now after taking Gary's advice a few months back and trying a feather touch, I wouldnt have anything else.

JethroB76
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Well Steve did say that the Moonlites seemed to be best priced for him

telecasterguru
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I have a Moonlight DC on my Ed 127 and love it. I must admit though that I have not owned a Feather Touch. I chose the Moonlight because I had heard their service was legendary, and I can testify that it is (4 days delivery from the States), and Feathertouch did not produce the type of focuser that I wanted. The ML is built like a tank and rock solid and the DC is wonderful although takes a little getting used to its speed settings.

I could not be happier.

Frank

sacredblack
04-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Mmm more focusers..

I've had a quick look at the Feather Touch site and they look very nice. A little more expensive I think - haven't look at that much detail.

What I do like about the Moonlites, especially being a novice, is that they do a base plate specifically for the LXD 75 SN range. So I just order the focuser with the dc motor, compression rings and a base plate kit for the SN 10 and apparently it will slot in exactly where the old Meade one was :) No hassles with drilling new holes.

Though I will look into the Feather Touch's a little more. Not plowing ahead at this very moment as I'm still a bit short on the money.

Now what I could really do with is a clear view to Meridian and Equator so I can practice drift alignment :(

Lots to learn.

Cheers,

Steve R.

marki
05-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Steve just buy alignmaster and forget drift alignment. The program is very easy to use and you will never look back. Don't even need a camera just an high mag eye piece (around 9mm illuminated with cross hairs should do it).

Mark

sacredblack
05-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Mark,

Trying to put me off the excitement and easy gratification of drift alignment hey ? :)

I've had a little look. I don't use a computer with the telescope and I'm trying to avoid doing this for as long as possible. There's enough kit to move up the hill every time I wish to view.

But that said I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Steve R.