PDA

View Full Version here: : Re: Slop in RA & DEC for Losmandy G11

Visionoz
02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi

I would like an opinion from experienced G11 users in IIS if it is NORMAL to have slop in both the RA & DEC axis (non-Gemini G11) - ie when I grab either RA body/DEC body and twist it slightly, I can feel movement and see the movement in the EP - eg: if one were to consider the centered star as being at the starting point in a reticled 12mm EP, the distance travelled is about 50% along the reticle's axis; That seems a bit too much IMO :(

I originally thought that my OTA's dovetail was not sitting snug & square in the saddle and I also tightened the saddle's lock screw very tight but realised after some testing that it was slop in both axis. What's the fix? And if I have to dismantle and service the mount, are there any pitfalls that I should be mindful of?

TIA
Cheers
Bill

multiweb
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a little bit of backlash. Nothing to worry about. If your clutches slip though just dry wipe the nylon disks of any grease.

Visionoz
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks Marc

But is that much backlash required? I have read about the worm bearing/blocks problems before and worry that it might have been other than backlash - btw the clutches are going good for the mo

Cheers
Bill

multiweb
02-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Looking in a 12mm eyepiece it sounds reasonable. If you think it's too much you can tighten the worm meshing a bit but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Peter Ward
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
How old is your G-11? It may need a service.

Visionoz
04-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi Peter

IT is less than 2 years old - have seen light use, maybe about 100 hours or so

Cheers
Bill