PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ Tandem Setup

Baldrik
31-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi all and a happy new year to all ! :)

Was browsing around and I came across a Tandem setup for EQ mounts.
http://www.starstuff.com.au/eqsbskits.html

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations re this type of gear for EQ mounts ?

Thanks

B

pmrid
31-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a cunning plan ... ditch the tandem setup and go for an Off-Axis Guider. A fifth of the weight, none of the flexure issues, no guidescope required and cheaper too. Lumicon make a good one.
Peter

Hagar
31-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I had a starstuff SBS unit when I had the EQ6Pro. The unit is very strong and solidly built. The only thing you really have to consider is the total weight sitting on top of your mount and it's carrying capacity.
The unit is quite heavy and needs to be added into the total instrument weight.

Nicely made, very strong. Top gear.

citivolus
01-01-2010, 02:46 AM
I use the Losmandy side by side on my CGE mount, with a 12" LX200 and my FLT98 refractor.

Some people get flex with these setups, but I suspect it has a lot to do with the quality of the gear. Additionally, guiding with this configuration does expose you to mirror shift if one of the scopes has moveable optics, which is why many prefer the off-axis guider method.

One advantage to the side by side configuration is that your second scope can be configured to provide a wide angle framing shot for such activities as asteroid observation, where off-axis would be impractical.

Tandum
01-01-2010, 02:57 AM
I have also used the Losmandy V SBS bar (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7821)for some time without a problem. It is good for vixen style dovetails. I'm just now moving back to a piggyback setup as the size of the scopes I'm using these days has shrunk a lot.

Baldrik
01-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys - I'm only running an HEQ5Pro at the moment with an 8" newt + guide - goes well. Sounds like the SBS would be too heavy/overkill.

Learning something every day...

Thanks for your feedback

peter_4059
01-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I've got the Starstuff SBS setup on my EQ6. It has a Vixen dovetail on the bottom and losmandy saddles on top. It is very well made, solid and heavy.

Peter.