PDA

View Full Version here: : Microscope eyepieces

orestis
28-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone:hi:,

I have a microscope with 10mm eyepieces in it which have a 1 1/4 inch barrel .Just wondering if i could use them with my reflecting telescope 130mmx900mm which has a 1 1/4 inch focuser.

thanks in advance,
orestis:thumbsup:

Wavytone
28-12-2009, 03:35 PM
It should work but if it's a cheap amateur-grade microscope it's unlikely to be a great eyepiece for a telescope. The reason is that microscope objectives have very long focal ratios - f/30 or more - and virtually any eyepiece design will work well with that - even Ramsden, huygens or Kellner - which these days are no longer used in modern telescopes.

If it's a fairly serious modern microscope from say Zeiss, Nikon or Olympus the eyepiece might be fairly decent in a telescope.

bojan
28-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I would try even without asking ;)

DavidU
28-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I have a Nikon Microscope eyepiece (25mm approx) that Eric kindly gave me.
I find it very good with a little more chromatic aberration than good modern designs.

chris lewis
30-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I use various microscope E.Ps. I have had to 'modify' the 30mm barrels to fit the 1.25mm diagonals correctly which are a couple on mm larger. The 'top end' microscope E.P. versions do actually give impressive images -excellent on axis resolution, reasonably flat to edge and with minimal other distortions. Mine display only minor secondary reflections and show good contrast. The FOV is not wide however - about 50 degrees in mine. Currently I have 2x 'W10X's which I use in a binoscope and a 'SW15X' which I use as a general E.P. The W10X equals a 'normal' 25mm E.P and the SW15X is equal to a 16.6mm E.P.
They are worth seeking out and experimenting with - some may have trouble reaching focus. They can however be a very cost effective solution.
[Below is great article that includes the 'maths' for working out the magnification equivalents.]

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=365