PDA

View Full Version here: : Intes M500 first light...sort of..

pgc hunter
27-12-2009, 08:11 PM
A couple of nights ago, it was partly cloudy, but after getting myIntes 5" mak in March and a mount for it nearly 2 months ago (cheers Daniel and Brendon), I just couldnt not hold it in any longer. I was busting like hell...the first quarter moon was there just waiting for me.

So I FINALLY get the Mak out and train it on the moon. No cool down, absolute atrocious seeing. Yet I was surprised at the crispness at the image. Chucked in the 22mm LVW, super crisp, great contrast.

Good result. I then grab the 8mm LVW, for 158x, and the crispness of the image held up. Very nice. Despite no cool down and disgracefull seeing, the image had this crispness, which I never really seen before with any of my newts. Usually, my newts tend to be a tad mushy when cooling or in poor seeing. Features on the moon were etched with minute resolution, not softness, and contrast between sunlit and shaded areas was very good. By comparison, my 4.5" Meade newt starts to suffer at around the 160-180x mark in average seeing.

Cant wait to try it after being allowed to cool and in decent seeing...this is going to be a great planetary instrument me thinks!

AlexN
27-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Good to hear you like the M500! I've organised myself an Intes M703 7" F/10 mak for lunar/planetary work, and the odd long focal length galaxy photography... From what I've read the Intes Mak's are highly regarded as the best of the best... I only hope my first experience with one will be as pleasing as yours clearly was..

Alex.