PDA

View Full Version here: : Storage?

frogsaway
26-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Greetings,

I was just given my first telescope for Christmas, a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. It's a lot larger than I was expecting and I now have a storage problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to store it while not in use? A bag/case etc. I've found some options online but I haven't got a clue as to if they are suitable.

Regards,

Dave.

mozzie
26-12-2009, 07:46 PM
my meade is permiate piered buy my 8"skywatcher i made a box same size as is original only 2/3 high used its original foam and the scope lays in there half exposed when i use it i just lift it out handles cut in either end and easy to lift

michaellxv
27-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Dave :welcome:,

I faced the same problem and built myself a box which fits under the bed to store it and suitable to take on camping trips.

The box is only slightly smaller than the original cardboard box it came in and ended up rather heavier than I thought and is now a bit awkward to move about.

I suggest you look at one solution for your OTA and something separate for the mount and other accessories.

Analog6
27-12-2009, 06:30 AM
If you made a box, as Michael said, you could mount it on those low rise wheels (like the storage boxes you can buy have) and roll it under the bed.

Shep
27-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I've got the same scope, I just leave mine set up in the corner with a sheet over it, which is what the store where I purchased it recommended. ;)

wasyoungonce
27-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I use plastic bags over my scope set-up (indoors). I leave the lens caps on but the bags keep that extra dust off...yes I know I'm cheap!

mill
27-12-2009, 02:07 PM
What???? Storing a scope indoors???

Mine is stored outdoors and still works perfect :P
The advantage of storing the scope outdoors is that you can use it straight away :)
If you have no storage outside then you just have to take it inside everytime :(

floyd_2
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I bought a Keter shed, which has twin opening doors about 1.4m wide, and no lip under the door like tin sheds have. My scope is on a large triangular base with wheels and leveling T bolts (similar to the JMI wheeley bars) and it all works a treat. I wheel the scope out when I want to observe, and level it up with the T bolts and I'm off and running.

I found that I didn't have the opportunity to use my scope when I moved houses about a year ago as it was too difficult to move outside and set up. Having the scope live outside has solved all of my problems, and I'm finally back out and under the stars at night where I belong!

PS> The bit I left out was that I had to level a sloping corner of my yard by hand, compact down about 2t of crusher dust, run power to the area, tile it all with spare terazzo tiles and THEN erect the shed - mostly in 40 degree heat :( It was all worth it though!

If you can do it, set up so that your scope lives outside and reduce the pain factor of setting up. You'll probably use your scope a lot more.

Dean

frogsaway
27-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Howdy,

Thank you for all your replies. It took me awhile and a sudden work trip to the US but eventually I acquired something which I hope will work out for me.

I found a padded bag from Orion which is large enough to fit the whole telescope, tripod & accessories in.

http://www.telescope.com/control/accessories/cases-and-telescope-covers/26-inchx11-inchx11-inch-orion-padded-telescope-case

As I said, it's big enough to fit everything. I have a few issues with it
- it's not compartmentalised (something I will alter as opportunity presents itself) so it does require some care when lugging it around.
- It's expensive so I hope it protects the scope enough that I wont break it this year.

Aside from that it fits my needs very well (light weight & portable). A

Unfortunately I live in a rather small town house which allows me enough room to swing a cat but not much else. Also the area is known for unwanted visitors souvenering things from backyards so I am unable to leave the thing setup outside as some people suggested. Finally, my "yard" is the size of a postage stamp so if I put up a shed I would have no room for the telesecope :)

I'm hoping the portability of the bag will allow me to head out of the city and use the thing where it's possible to see things that aren't directly overhead.

Thanks again for your advice & suggestions.

Regards,

Dave.