PDA

View Full Version here: : More mounts AP1200 v Titan

telecasterguru
25-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I am currently, like lots of other people, looking to upgrade my mount.

I want a mount that is portable so that I can take it to dark sites but I want the biggest payload possible. I am thinking of getting a C14 eventually.

Which would be a better mount, the Astro Physics 1200 or the Losmandy Titan?

Frank

gbeal
25-12-2009, 01:51 PM
While I have had neither (and this is a timely and honest declaration that you should seek from anyone that answers), I reckon my money would be on the AP1200.
Gary

el_draco
25-12-2009, 04:48 PM
G'day Frank, I have a G11 on the new Losmandy field tripod. Its got a C11 and a 90mm Megrez mounted on a DSBS bar. I'm about to add imagers and other bits and pieces.

My original aim was to stay portable, but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I will need a permanent observatory for most of my work.

I have researched the carrying capacity of a G11 and it would seem that the 45lb limit for imaging, in particular, is not terribly accurate. My setup is about that now and doesn't even blink. One bloke sent me pics of a rig weighing twice that and sample images... damn near perfect. For visual only, a G11 will handle a lot including a C14, I'm sure. Its the extras that add weight.

I can set my complete scope up outside in 20 mins, get polar aligned in 5 for visual and probably 20 for perfect alignment.

Having said this, I am going to tell you what it feels like in one word... well two actually. OUCH and SCARY! The tripod is easy, (Folding legs and stable as rock), the GEM head, heavy, the C11 with "extras", terrifying and the consequences for my back, worrying.

If its this tough for an ox like me, I don't even want to think about doing it with a Titan, which is significantly heavier. Don't know about the AP 1200 but I would compare the specs and maybe suggest you do an experiment... load a sack with sand to the weight of the GEM or OTA, sit some eggs in the middle and try carrying it 10m imagining the eggs are hand grenades with loose pins, cos the consequences of dropping it would be the same ;-)

I absolutely love my G11. Works like a dream and by far the best mount I have used. If I was to step up from here, it would be to a Paramount, rather than a Titan, but the mount would be in a dome. That sort of precision requires a home.

My plans are primarily imaging and the G11 has a lot going for it in this regard, (Its a very well known and respected mount), but is also a brilliant visual mount and JUST light enough to go mobile with a decent OTA, but I would not consider a Titan particularly mobile based on my experience and a look at the Titan specs will give you an idea of the extra weight involved.

Question you gotta ask yourself is, what are your observing interests? Imaging or visual? That will determine the precision required and then work from there. Add the weight of all the bits you will need to the system spec + 20% for unexpected stuff, (like my $1200 dollar electronic focuser), then see if you want to carry it all around...

Last suggestion, which I read just the other day, Budget about 60% of funds for the mount. I did this accidentally but the logic is very sound. A less than perfect OTA on a good mount is more forgiving than whacking a beautiful OTA on a "wobbler"

Hope this gives food for thought,

Good luck

Rom

AlexN
25-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I'll agree with Gary here... If the price is no concern, go the AP1200GTO... It will allow you to move further in the future. Other things consider..

The AP900GTO - about 1k USD cheaper than the AP1200, lighter, easier to move around if you plan to go to star parties etc....

Also remember that the list price of an astro-physics mount is not the final cost. The list price is just for the equatorial head, GTO handset and the counter weight shaft.. From there you still need to buy a telescope saddle plate, a portable or permanent pier or suitable tripod and counter weights..

They are not cheap.. but they are brilliantly engineered..

What do you plan on doing with your C14? If you're planning on imaging, I seriously agree getting the biggest baddest mother of a mount you can afford.. A C14 is a big telescope with a serious focal length.. Accuracy is key.. You may also want to invest in adaptive optics, you'll have a hard time getting great results without it I think.

Also, If imaging is the agenda, You may want to consider something other than an SCT? Whilst they can be used to take nice images, they are not exactly an optical system designed for imaging..

Lots to think about, but on topic, the best mount you can afford is the way to go. Astro-Physics is always a good choice.. The 900GTO or 1200GTO would easily do what you're hoping to do..

Other options.
Mountain Instruments MI-250
Losmandy Titan
ASA DDM80 (There was a rather lengthy discussion about these in another thread over the past few days... After I did a bit of looking around at results and features of these mounts I must say they look very very interesting.)

tlgerdes
25-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Frank,

I wouldnt say a C14 and Titan or AP1200 is portable, what do you drive a truck :lol:

I have a G11 and its head weighs about 15-17kgs, a Titan or AP head weighs between 35-40kgs. Lifting weight is easy, manouvering weight is a completely different issue. Doing this in the field at night is not something you want to do.

On the 45lb limit, the Losmandy website now list 60lbs for the G11 wieght capacity.

telecasterguru
25-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone.

My issue is that I want to do imaging with the bigeest aperture that I can on a portable mount. It is aperture fever pure and simple. The C14 was the idea due to hyperstar.

I do not have a backyard so I need to travel or buy a new house. I understand that the AP1200 and the Titan are portable to the point of being able to be split into its RA and Dec components and assembled that way rather than in one head so making portable to an extent.

I was looking at putting the mount on a portable pier.

I was hoping this was at least feasible.

Frank

AlexN
25-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Provided you're not adverse to carrying 35kgs at a time Frank, you should be fine moving an AP1200 around... Portable pier is the way to go for sure..

Make sure to look at other options for scopes too... Some people have had problems with them in the past, but the ASA N series newtonians could be very nice too... Providing they have the issues under control, they would be far more optically sound than an SCT in secondary focus... Less obstruction, more uniform diffraction, an N12 probably weighs about the same as the C14 + HS3 and probably costs about the same (If you plan on buying a Celestron OTA brand new in Australia...)

Just remember to keep your eyes open to other possibilities along the way... You're going to have a lot of mount head room to play with! :)

Not trying to put you off the Hyperstar option by the way.. Ever since I saw results from those things I've regretted selling my C11... F/1.8 and 11" of aperture is, well... mind boggling to say the least... You are trapped as far as camera options are concerned however... Within reason anyway.