PDA

View Full Version here: : Dessicant

JohnH
15-11-2005, 12:45 AM
How do you keep your optical equipment dry when in storage?

I have some small silca gel packs I scored from the local camera store so I put these in the box with my eps, lpi etc but I assume these will not work for ever. I think they can be re-generated by warming in the oven however how long for and how frequently I do not know.

Do you keep your OTA dry by putting dessicant in the ep holder or inside of the cap?

avandonk
15-11-2005, 01:21 AM
We dont have the humidity problem in Melbourne you have in Sydney.Some of the dessicant bags have a colour indicator pink OK blue exhausted.You have to heat them above 100C from memory in a vacuum oven preferably.I can find out for sure tomorrow.

Bert

RAJAH235
15-11-2005, 09:40 PM
After your Sunday dinner, just put them in the oven for a few hrs. That will 'reconstitute' them. I have a shoebox full from 'K-Mart' shoe dept. Or next time you go past a copier/computer shop, ask them. The new units come packed with 1/4 lb? bags of silicagel. Great for hanging in the top of the tube or in your E/Pc box. :D L.
ps. not sure re; life, but think indefinite?

Stu
15-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Regenerate by heating 80 to 120 degrees for 1 hour +
In fact, the ones that are stored in little bags I would not heat to highter than 100 because the bag may not survive. 80 is enough if you give it time.

Howzat
16-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Just go to your local shoe shop. They throw them out by the shoe box full.

ving
16-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Must Get Some Of Them Me Thinks...