PDA

View Full Version here: : Sourcing - O-ring for GSO finderscope

erick
28-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I need a few of these o-rings. The thin one that supports the GSO finderscope at the front of the mount. Clark Rubber - no luck.

Before I start a search for suppliers, I wonder whether anyone else has trod that path before and were you successful? If so would you share what you found, please. :thanx:

trent_julie
28-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi there,

May we suggest purchasing an O-Ring kit, Most tool shops/ engineering type stores will sell "grab kits." of which you can make your own O-ring, glue and tool are usually supplied.

I hope this helps, maybe the remainder of the forum can provide different options for you.

Trent & Julie

DavidU
28-11-2009, 11:43 PM
You will find a suitable rubber band will work.

GeoffW1
29-11-2009, 03:30 AM
They perish, don't they? Mine is held together in 13 places by superglue, the best glue around for rubber.

I think the rubber band suggestion above is basic genius though :thumbsup:

Cheers

5ash
29-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I had a similar prob some years ago and found my local mitre 10 to have a box under the counter with a multitude of 'o' rings displayed by size and found one to fit.So just enquire at your local hardware store.
regards philip

erick
29-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Hmmm, I'd better check out Bunnings. Clark Rubber had a dozen boxes - nothing thin enough.

By the way, I measured today. They seem to be 2mm thick, 46mm id unstretched. The stretch to 52.5mm id on the finderscope.

Saturnine
30-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Erick

If you don't have any luck close to home finding " O " rings , try www.ludowiciseals.com (http://www.ludowiciseals.com), they are in St Marys in Sydney. they supply all types of mechanical seals for engineering ( hydraulics, pneumatics etc. ) The size you want is 50mm ID x 1.85mm cross section ( 0.075" ).
Just measured my GSO finder, to be accurate, hopefully they will supply small quantities, you may have to buy in lots of 6 or 10, which I think would still be cheaper than buying a kit. I used to be an hydraulics maintenance fitter and have bought O rings from them before, though a few years ago now.

Regards

Jeff

RAJAH235
30-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Eric,
I've found the easiest/best place for any "O" rings are
any bearing supply Co.
Bearing Services/CBC etc....

Sub for drive belts as well.
Cheap as chips.

bojan
30-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Just any rubber band stretched on right place will do. Or couple of wraps of sticky tape
Unless you are perfectionist.. ;) in which case, "O" ring is not a good design at all, there should be 3 or 4 adjustable screws instead - or grabscrews, with hard rubber/plastic inserts at contact points.

DRCORTEX
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Considering the price of a GSO finder scope, just as easy to buy a new one, and save hours of running around, hopeing you will find what you need

Cheers
DOC

erick
04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I've requested a quote from a Qld O-ring supplier who seems to have what I want. No reply yet - I guess it might be because I'm not ordering hundreds! :sadeyes:

No running around - it's got to be solved from my keyboard! :thumbsup: I don't like using my time and petrol any more.

BTW, Boojan, O-ring for a finderscope is good enough IMHO. For a guide scope etc., nope, I expect not. In fact I love the GSO mount - one spring loaded pin and two screws at 90 deg - so intuitive and quick to align. I wish my good finderscope would fit in the mount - sadly it doesn't and I have to use a three grub screw, three knurled knob adjustment screw mount. It annoys me.

erick
16-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Found them.

Sourced from CBC Australia Pty Ltd who seem to have plenty of shopfronts and were very helpful.

The replacement o-ring is an "033" size. The part number for them with CBC was "BS033".

Minimum order requirements, so I have excess to my needs. If anyone needs one, PM me.

Cheers
Eric

erick
16-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I should have said that I'll put it inside a card and post it to you - no charge! It's that time of year - a (very) little thank you for another fun year on IIS!

Louwai
16-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh Eric, your such a sweetie.... :D

erick
16-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Incredibly generous too - my offer is worth well over a dollar, maybe over $2 depending how many leftover cards I have at home! :thumbsup:

But it will save folks the hassle of sourcing and ordering and pickup!

Quark
16-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi there young Eric,

Have done away with the problem completey.
I have just rehashed a surplus 8 x 50 finder, removed the eyepiece end completely and fitted my ToUcam to use as a low power wide field video alignment scope (Birds idea). The original "O" ring for the finder mount was in several pieces so I cut a piece of string to length and wraped around the finder in the original O ring groove. I then secured it, more or less permanently, with a couple of wrappes of ye old black insulation tape. Works great.

Regards
Trevor