PDA

View Full Version here: : ZenithStar 80 and LXD75 (excitement and dissapointment)

Stu
11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Well my 12 months of saving and researching and saving, changing my mind, then changing it back again and more saving...has finally reached and end. I have purchased a scope and mount between $2000 and $3000 ($2530 to be exact).

Just briefly, my main focus was portability and getting a stable mount. I'm glad to say that the scope and mount are both small and very stable.

My excitement, joy, happiness, etc... mostly comes from the feeling that I got something extra from the ZenithStar 80. That thing or combination of little things that is hard to put into words, but put a big smile on my face. The scope case surprised me; it is more rigid and well made than I thought. The 2" dielectric diagonal is beyond words and the tube rings are just a mile better than any other set I've used. I all ready knew what I was buying when I ordered the scope but the quality of the accessories is what put the icing on the cake.

On the other hand. I also knew what I was buying when I bought the LXD75. I wanted a small and really stable mount that had GoTo and it does fulfil that promise. But the little extra things this time had the opposite effect and made me a little disappointed. When using the electronic hand controller (the Autostar hasn’t arrived yet), when you press the right arrow to move the RA axis in the same direction as the sidereal movement the motor jumps ahead, then moves the amount you want it to, then when you release the button it jumps back again the same amount that it jumped the first time. The net affect is that the object has moved the amount you wanted it to, but it’s ugly and get me really frustrated. It only does it in that one direction on the RA axis!

All other directional buttons work perfectly. And get this (!), when you change to the other hemisphere (so the mount tracks in the opposite direction) the jump now happens when you press the left button! It follows the sidereal motion. Net effect is still that the object only moves the amount of time that you hold the button down. I jumps large steps forward and backward in the meantime. This change with RA direction means it is part of the program in the hand controller. There is nothing I can do. The mount works. Looking on LXD55.com seemed to confirm this.

I know that I got what I wanted. A very stable mount with (soon to be) GoTo capability. But I feel like I’ve been ripped off because no one told me about this. Has anyone experienced this with LXD55’s? Is my LXD75 a lemon? Hopefully when I get to plug in the Autostar controller it fixes things.

I wish William Optics made a small GoTo mount. I prefer getting NICE surprises. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<o:p></o:p>

Miaplacidus
11-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Congrats, Stu.

Yes, William Yang doesn't know how to make a bad OTA (although sometimes his optics leave a little to be desired - but not the Zenithstar, by all accounts). I can't comment on the LXD75. I thought it was meant to be heaps better than the old LXD55, though. Are you planning on imaging? (In which case a jumping RA is going to be a right pain.) Hopefully the Autostar will fix it; I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Cheers,

Brian.

gbeal
11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Stu,
happy to hear of your elation, I too have an 80mm scope. It doesn't get used asd often as it's bigger brothers, but it does give that warm and fuzzy feeling.
Sorry to hear of your disappointment though. There is no doubt an LXD mount forum on Yahoo, and I would give the same story a run there. My guess is it shouldn't do that, but I temper this with "you get what you paid for", but add, I too would be annoyed.
See what experiences the other LXD guys have had, and if you are alone, (and assuming it was a new mount) go back to the dealer.
If all else fails, enjoy it.
Gary

Exfso
11-11-2005, 01:58 PM
I am pretty sure Itchy on this forum uses the lxd mount and some of his stuff is stunning. Maybe he can be of assistance. I have the LXD55 mount but dont use it now as I use my Losmandy for both scopes. The lxd mount can certainly be made to perform quite well, a guy ing the LXD forums called warp is a bit of a guru on these.
Not sure if you have the manual but here is the address for it in pdf format.

http://www.meade.com/lxd75/lxd75.pdf

janoskiss
11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
What size and type of lxd75 did you get, Stu?

TidaLpHasE
11-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Here is a link for the Yahoo LXD Group,

Hope it helps with some of your questions,

Congrats on your new purchase;)

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=+LXD75+Telescopes&submit=Search

h0ughy
11-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I did heaps of research when I was looking around for a "portable" mount to do astrophotography and such with. I even was tempted by an offer at Astro optical for a LXD55 mount with autostar for $895.00 (it was their last one). I hunted high and low reading review after review, guaging opinions and even looking at the real thing. then i went with the EQ6 mount with synscan. I wanted stability with the ability to throw just about anything i wanted on it. i did not have that option with the meades or the celestron mount. the LXD75 improved the bearings and load capacity and the tripod but the motor drive are exactly the same as the LXD55. Do yourself a favour, if this is the stock standard LXD75 mount it still needs a tweek and fixup in the bearing department, and the worm gears need meshing properly. get them to fully service the mount and put the fix kit through it. and how come they haven't got a 497 autostar available for you?

Dave47tuc
11-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Nice one Stu. :)
When the Auto Star comes along, I'm sure there is a setting or two we can change to make it better. :help3:

I had a LXD55 and it was hopeless at first, but it got better with some setting changes.

Good luck with the 80mm Very Nice scope. :)

Robert_T
11-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Stu, pity about the LXD75, but I share your enthusiam for the Zenithstar 80. Not that I've used it much, but it's got the sort of quality that makes you want to just take it out and look at it - it's a work of art!

cheers,

mick pinner
11-11-2005, 05:19 PM
l agree Robert l use my Zenithstar all the time and enjoy it more and more

Stu
11-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi guys, Thanks a lot for your comments and advice. I will check out the Yahoo group to see if the jump is caused by backlash or just the controller or something wierd. I will give the mount a good clean and re-grease and when the Autostar comes in I will train the drives.

I didn't get the Autostar because the only LXD75 mount left in the shop was on display and it only had the electronic controller. Of course I wanted it yesterday so couldn't wait for a whole new one to come in. So consequently waiting for the Autostar.
:prey:

The scope that came with the mount was the 6" Newt. Not bad. But once I looked through a big APO I couldn't go back. So both my Newts I will probably sell and get the ED100 for a larger scope. Just not into faint fuzzys at the moment, I'm sure I wil be eventually.

Sorry if the thead didn't read well when I first posted it. Looks like someone fixed up the stray HTML.:doh:

janoskiss
11-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Stu, Trevor's (OneOfOne) 8" Celestron Newtonian with the goto EQ at star camp seemed to be doing a similar thing to your mount. It would overshoot the target and then wind back a little.

[1ponders]
11-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Sounds like the same problem I had with a friends lx90

xstream
11-11-2005, 11:45 PM
A sad case of backlash (rubber banding) I would say.
You'll be able to correct it by altering the percentages when you get the 497 Autostar Stu.

Ambermile
12-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Yup. Backlash. The 497 will allow you to train the drives and eliminate it. Takes about 30 secs and you can do it on a terrestrial target in the daytime. Infact, you have to do it on a daytime target.

If not though it may be that you will need to remove the poor little chocolate grub screws on the drive motor gears and replace them with stainless ones.

Arthur

PS - excellent choice on the ZS :)