PDA

View Full Version here: : Real first light Obsession 15 inch (finally!)

wavelandscott
23-11-2009, 03:34 AM
I am very happy to report that after several months (and many false starts) I was able to get my new (to me) Obsession 15 inch Dobsonian Truss Reflector out under dark skies (as dark as possible within an hours drive of New York City) about 15 minutes from my house.

I've been trying to get this fabulous scope out under the night sky but weather and my travel schedule have prevented me truly giving this machine a workout beyond that available in my backyard.

All I can say is WOW!

Granted, my now Northen Hemisphere dark sky in the NE USA is no way near the skies available in Australia but hey, I'll just have to make due.

I volunteered to help at a public viewing night so they early evening was spent on objects suitable for general viewing (moon, Jupiter, a few double stars)...I was pleased with the oohs aahs and wows that the views generated.

But after the civilians all left, it was just me, a few die hards and my scope and Argo Navis (I did not use the Servo-cat this evening)...it was a wonderful evening.

I am very pleased with the scope (mechanically) and the mirror (OMI) was breathtaking...add in the AN and a Nagler or two and viola!

It was a really fun night!

sheeny
23-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Sounds great, Scott.

Glad you've finally got the scope out to where you can fully appreciate it.

I'm still going through the slow, sporadic, weather influenced phase of getting know my new scopes.

Al.

GTB_an_Owl
23-11-2009, 09:51 AM
now i'm glad you've admitted Scott, that that there scope will never reach it's potential unless it is brought back here to Aus ;) :thumbsup:

glad to hear of a good nite

geoff

Rodstar
23-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Sounds great, Scott.

15 inches sounds perfect - I assume there is no need for a ladder?

gary
23-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Scott,

Brilliant and congratulations!

I've driven from NYC up to where TeleVue are in Chester, NY and it is surprising
how semi-rural things become not that far out of the Big Apple, so I can imagine
where you are in CT might be a similar situation?

If the weather is starting to become brisk there, warm yourself with the
thought that yesterday in Sydney it was 40.5C.

Good luck with the 15 and enjoy!

Best Regards

Gary

wavelandscott
24-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Agreed...who gets to explain this to my boss in Tokyo?

wavelandscott
24-11-2009, 12:48 AM
No need for a ladder, pointed straight up standing on tippy toes puts me just shy of the eyepiece...I figure a 4 inch thick piece of wood will do the trick to stand on. Alternatively I could will myself to grow 3 inches taller (instead of wider) which would also do the trick.

Most of the night I can still sit comfortably in my Stellar Seat

A small 2 step step-stool works great for shorter guests to view as well.

While more aperture would always be nice, for me this is a really good size. I've got some ramps to roll it into the back of my CRV and like most truss dobs set up is a snap.

I've also got the 12.5 inch Discover Truss and it has been interesting to compare the two systems...both work well but I prefer the Obsession Solution.

I am happy with the set up but of course, it is not the Mary Rose!

wavelandscott
24-11-2009, 01:02 AM
It does get surprisingly rural as you head out of New York that is true. It is quite nice.

http://www.newpondfarm.org/
http://www.ridgefielddiscovery.org/

The New Pond Farm is where all of this happened in conjunction with the Ridgefield Discpovery Center (and will happen again).

They are both really good organizations and the location is a nifty little "working" dairy farm.

If you go to the Discovery Center website and look through the picture galleries (Star Park and Fall Fesitival) you will see my kids at the Star Park and me at the Fall Festival doing some Solar Outreach...all good fun. I'm sure they will get some pictures up from Saturday night too.

The weather is not yet cold, but it is getting chilly in the evenings (not really freezing just yet) but I did wear my "freezer boots" to be safe! So I did also experience temperatures in the "40s" just a different temperature scale!

Cheers,

mental4astro
24-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Scott,

Congratulations on the new scope, mate.

I can imagine how you must have been chafing at the bit waiting for the 'guests' to leave to have the 15" all to yourself. Near wet yourself when all alone, I bet! Like a kid in a lollie shop.

I hope you get many fine hours with it, mate.

Mental.

xstream
24-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi Scott,

Congrats on the 15" mate, I'm sure you'll get many happy hours of enjoyment out of her.
Now all you need to do is bring her back down here so we can enjoy the views with you! ;)

GTB_an_Owl
24-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I have the solution to your Tokyo problem Scot :thumbsup:

all you have to do is compose a petition, and ALL of us here at IIS will sign it and present it to your boss

and if that does'nt work, bring him down here for a holiday and we will explain to him just how much more efficiently his vice presidents will work under an australian lifestyle :D

geoff

wavelandscott
24-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Great idea...heck while we are at it we should ask for a raise too! What with me becoming more efficient by moving back to Oz and all...

wavelandscott
24-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone, the scope is/was really fun to use...I'd be happy to share the view if you get to the NE USA sometime.

spacezebra
25-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Congrats Scott

Well done.
Cheers Petra d.