PDA

View Full Version here: : Laser Pointers (which one?)

Jen
21-11-2009, 04:01 PM
:hi: gday everyone i was just wondering if you awsome guys can point me in the right direction of where i can get one from and which laser pointer you guys recommend :D The ones on ebay sound dodgy to me :rolleyes: Im confused:help:
And which color :screwy: and what does 1mW and 5mW mean etc.....
Ive been wanting one for ages to help my eight year old son when i can show him which object we are actually looking at through the scope ;)

And yes i am aware of the Vic rules (sort of) but if i do the right thing with it i can have one right :innocent: :question: Im gonna put it under the xmas tree :lol:
:prey::prey:

DavidU
21-11-2009, 04:41 PM
1mw is one milliwatt.
Green pointers are not sold by many telescope shops. However there is quite a good 1mw green pointer from Jaycar
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3118&keywords=laser&form=KEYWORD

Kids or anyone for that matter must NEVER look into the beam or shine them at aircraft.

astro744
21-11-2009, 05:08 PM
None. Too much trouble with flightpaths and could be dangerous for a youngster.

Use a 6V Dolphin or similar torch or just start with a bright star and hop from there describing triangle patterns until you get to where the object of interest is.

Jen
21-11-2009, 07:19 PM
:eyepop: ok so you guys here dont use them :screwy:

No i wouldnt let my son use it as a toy :rolleyes:

erick
21-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Jen, I'll PM you when I get a chance and tell you what I know. Eric

Miaplacidus
21-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I like green lasers, much better when using the refractor than a red dot finder I find, but I can't say I've found one that's perfect. I've had three pass through my hands (one bought off ebay), and all have had the problem of waning brightness after a second or two of continuous use. Someone in the club bought one from in the US years ago, incorporating a red light, white light, and the green laser, and the laser was definitely over powered and unnecessarily bright and I wanted it the moment I saw it.

chrisp9au
21-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Jen,

Just a word of warning...

Here in Victoria you need to apply for a permit from the Chief Commisioner of Police, before you buy your laser.
Don't attempt to import your laser without a permit, customs will not let it through.

A $135 fee has to be paid with your application. You need the permit before you buy or import a laser.
If and when you get your permit, your laser has to be stored in a fixed locked cabinet when not in use, the same as a firearm.

Your application is for a permit to buy, own and use a prohibited weapon. Sounds ridiculous, but that's the way the Victorian government have legislated. I'm sure there are those who don't bother with the rules, but the penalties for non compliance are rather steep!

As i say, just a word of warning...:(

All because some idiots decided to shine them at planes, and helicopters, etc. etc. ...:mad2:

Cheers :thumbsup:
Chris

mithrandir
22-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I have this one:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=522&CatID=49
but I can't find anyone in Australia setting them now. Probably they reckon they are too much of a problem with the police.

Mine came from York Optical.

Auster1b
22-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Jen,

Auster1b
22-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Dunno what happened there, it just posted itself

Jen,
Have wondered the same thing myself.

From the Vic Police website
A hand-held battery-operated article commonly known as a "laser pointer" designed or adapted to emit a laser beam with an accessible emission limit of greater than 1mW. Is a prohibited weapon and needs a permit to purchase/own.

Whether a 1mW laser is anygood ?
There is a IIS post here that has some info towards the end.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-43994.html

Neil.

keppar
22-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I have a 10 mw green which works fine. I believe the law states that if you are a member of a registered astro club and do not use it in a public place your ok . 1 mw is not enough unless it is very dark sky

chrisp9au
22-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Graham,

My understanding is that in Albury NSW, you are correct.
Head across the river to Wodonga Vic, and your laser becomes a prohibited weapon. :mad2:

Cheers :thumbsup:
Chris

Starkler
22-11-2009, 12:17 PM
That sounds like a sensible and measured approach to the issue. Such a concept is alien to the Victorian government.

Exfso
22-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Here ya go Jen.

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/green-laser-pointers-international-supplier.htm

Matthew Lovell has all sorts of laser stuff.

Jen
22-11-2009, 04:01 PM
:) Thanks guys for the tips :thumbsup:

Lots to think about now :rolleyes: Do i or dont i get one grrrrrrr dosnt seem to be worth the hassle :screwy: Permit for only 3 years ouch :rolleyes:
:shrug:

Starkler
22-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Jen just drive across the Murray when you use it ;)

Jen
22-11-2009, 04:11 PM
;) so being a member of IIS does that count :P

Jen
22-11-2009, 04:16 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Geoff i didnt think of that :rolleyes: lol two minutes and im in NSW :rofl:

MMM now ya got me thinking :screwy:

ChrisM
22-11-2009, 10:59 PM
As far as I can recall, the Victorian regulations on prohibited weapons state that a laser is banned if its power is > 1 mW AND it is battery-powered AND it is hand-held.

Chris

ChrisM
24-11-2009, 07:46 PM
The actual Victorian regulation states (in its long list of prohibited weapons):

33. "A hand-held battery-operated article commonly known as a "laser pointer" designed or adapted to emit a laser beam with an accessible emission limit of greater than 1 mW."

Chris

erick
24-11-2009, 11:06 PM
If they find you with it in a mount on the scope, they might still raise a concern. I reckon they read the regulation as "hand holdable".

Waxing_Gibbous
25-11-2009, 02:54 AM
I find the green laser pointers really very useful so,goaded by this thread, I applied for a permit today. I told them what it was for and the police seemed pretty good about it.
No problems until I wrote down "5mW laser" The WPC behind the desk hit the roof and griled me mercilessly about what I was "going to do with a 5 MEGAwatt laser"
I tried to explain that as far as I knew there were no 5 megawatt lasers on Earth and the 'm' stood for 'milliwatts'.
She asked how bright that was and I replied: "About the same as a laser gun-sight and you use it the same way". "Its also good for torturing the cat", (I meant watching her chase the dot of course).
This proved to be an unfortunate choice of words as it went downhill from there until the local head - honcho turned up and straightend things out.
I should get the permit "before Christmas".
The upshot is that the permits aren't too difficult to obtain, providing they're convinced you are legit. However, it pays to be specific and not mention cats or firearms. :)
But 99.9% of you are smarter than that!

erick
25-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Shot yourself in foot with laser :lol:

ps. Have you bought/built the safe you have to keep it in :face:

rmcconachy
25-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Did you have to pay the fee Peter, or did they waive it for you? Unlikely I know but I thought I'd ask :D

el_draco
25-11-2009, 07:35 PM
They are pretty dangerous in anyones hands and even though I use one, I do so sparingly. Its under loack and key for a good reason. When I am out, I attach it to my scope just to flick it on and then off to show people exactly where the scope is pointing. Away from airports, I use it to outline constellations..on/off against the stars. Nobody mucks around, or the evening is over. For a littly, star hopping is a great way to learn patience

Waxing_Gibbous
26-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Yes. They waved the fee because of my exceptional beauty and winning personality.:lol:
I'm surprised they didn't find some way to charge me extra!:P

Erik,
Weirdly enough I do have "safe" to keep it in. Its a heavy-duty, fireproof box we use for storing important papers, fake passports, Krugeraands etc.. They didn't actually bring it up. Possibly by unspoken mutual consent as things were complicated enough already. :)

Jen
26-11-2009, 08:24 AM
:lol::lol::lol: thanks for that tip Peter :thumbsup: where are you going to purchase yours from :D

Jen
26-11-2009, 08:26 AM
:eyepop: What do you mean they waved the fee :screwy:

erick
26-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I suspect you were charged some $135-150 for three years?

They might not mention a safe but it is in the prohibited weapon documentation on the Police Site.

astro744
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I got myself a 4D Maglite at a local supermarket for $29 (on sale, normally $39) and it works a treat for pointing. Even at full price it's a great buy.

No license required, no danger to aircraft or personnel, beam is quite narrow (not like laser but quite OK for pointing) and can be used as a torch when the night is over. Uses 3W white LED (spare included) and is quite powerful. Not sure how long the batteries last; uses 4 x D cells so I would expect some time. All metal construction makes it very durable.

Jen
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: sounds like a bargin i might check em out thanks :)

bmitchell82
09-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I use a good quality 1 mW version and for me its fantastic if people want to know where the scope is pointing they just have to stand behind the pointer! easy done! its mounted to the finderscope and aligned with the finder/ep, its dull enough that if you stand more than 2 or 3 meters away you cant see it so its perfect for taking to star parties! as even if it flys across the FOV of a astro photo you will not notice it in the picture. too dull! thats my 2c worth!

erick
09-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Where did you source it from, Brendan? I'd like a 1mW that works well.

bmitchell82
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
ill have to go and dig out where they where sourced from all i know is that it works really well and doesn't fade. 2 AA batteries last for a good 3 hrs of continual use. (doesn't help that the box doesn't have a name on it!)

Robbie
11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I think 1mw is next to useless, I have a 5mw and a 10mw the 5 is good the 10 is great, the laws in most states refers to "portable" laser pointers.
Once the portable laser is fixed to a bracket and attached to a scope as a finder it ceases to be "portable" therefore not illegal ie carrying one in your pocket in town is a no no ,attached to a 50kg scope is ok.
As I said in a previous I had a visit from the police because someone reported a beam out of my back yard pointing straight up, they were going to confiscate and fine me but as it was attached to a scope they could not.
I have to say they are a great investment work better than any other finder bar none but local light pollution will render a 1mw laser useless so get one in the 5 to 10mw range, put it in a removable dovetail and leave it there.
Ask vendor to post it as a telescope accessory in contents description and get the bracket and the pointer in one delivery, its not a fib, and it shows its for legal use.

Robbie
11-12-2009, 04:12 PM
hahaha 5 megawatt laser !!! you can use one of those to dig a new bore water well.

erick
11-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Feel free to come and try in Victoria ;)

I agree 1mW will struggle in light pollution. I will be using it primarily as a finder under dark skies.

Oh, and I should mention that with our winter observing temperatures (often sub-zero) a green laser left out (eg. on a bracket) without heating will soon not "lase" at all.

Jen
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Well i went into the police station and told them i wanted to get a laser pointer and they said yeah thats fine if your using it for astronomy they wont tell me off if they drive past and see me using it in my own back yard and they sent me off on my merry way :screwy::screwy:

But that dosnt help me on how to purchase one :rolleyes:

Liz
08-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey Jen :) ... there are lots of places selling them now.
I bought mine from Myastroshop for about $95, and thinks its a 10 mw, dont even think of the 1 mw - lollywater stuff.
Have a look at the online astronomy shops and grab one
eg http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/laser%20pointer.htm

mithrandir
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
1mW would be less than useless here in Sydney. 10mW is fine. Eric is right though. Green lasers don't seem to like the temperature being much below 15 deg.

Liz, the law is different in each of the deep north, middle earth and the deep south.

Qld regs appear to let you get away with any power you like. Sirius is based in Qld and the last time I looked their ads they said something about taking caution with asking them to ship interstate.

NSW regs are similar, as long as you belong to a police registered astronomy club/society. I got mine from York, but they don't seem to stock them any more.

Vic requires a permit for anything over 1mW.

No doubt the nanny federal government would like to take over and apply Vic style regs everywhere.

Jen
09-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey Liz yeah apparently in Vic i need a licence to purchase a laser of more than 1mw :rolleyes: so i might have to make a trip up to see you lot up there hehe :lol:

Louwai
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes true. I have a 30mw Green & it sometimes takes a little to get going on a really cold night.
I find that keeping it in my pocket or somewhere on my person which keeps it close to body temp works fine.

barx1963
09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I have a 20mw laser that I purchased on a trip to Qld last year. It needs to be kept warm, I have 2 dew heaters attached to it even at this time of year as the temp is regularly below 10deg by midnight.

Jeff
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
To keep a laser pointer working great after the air temp drops below about 15deg, I've always used one of these little dew straps. They work great. :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dew-Not-Dew-Heater-for-1-25-Eyepiece_W0QQitemZ110452047713QQcmd ZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?ha sh=item19b7747f61

Jeff

Liz
09-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Jeeze ..... oh well Jen..... I thought things had changed.
Hey, if ya head to Brissy, I have a laser sitting at Customs that was confiscated a few years ago ;)

Jen
10-01-2010, 03:27 AM
:lol::lol: oh bugger lol :lol: