PDA

View Full Version here: : Losmandy G11 related queries

sadia
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi,

Is there a compatible motor cover for Maxon Motor upgrade? From what i understand the aluminum cover from losmandy is only compatible with standard motor. Bare with me, I am a new g11 user.

Regards
Sad

JohnG
11-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Not that I am aware of, the cover already is aluminium.

What you will need to do is reset your Safety Limits in the Gemini to account for the slightly longer Maxon motors.

Cheers

sadia
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank you john, appreciate the quick reply and the tip.

sadia
11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Another question (few more to come i guess) will it fit in pelican 1650 case with the maxon motor?

JohnG
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Sad

I believe the G-11 head will fit into a 1650 case, not 100% sure though as I don't use one.

I am surprised some of the "experts" haven't answered.

Cheers

Hagar
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure if the head with Maxon motors will fit into a 1650. It is a huge case. I use one for my Tak FSQ106ED witha WO 70mm gude scopefitted. It would probably be cheaper and better to get one custom made to hold the G11.

I purchased my case for the G11 from:

Aerolyte cases.
4 Aileen Ave
West Heidelburg

http://www.aerolyte.com.au

They can make any size case you want and also have a lot of pre made cases people haven't picked up at real bargain prices. I was very surprised how cheap these cases were. I picked up a case for my G11 including foam for $70 and it is rock solid ply and aluminium construction with the best hardware I have seen on a case.

A 1650 from memory was about $500 and is a very heavy case without anything in it but it does have wheels and handles.

Well worth going over with the G11 and have a look. Make sure you take the mount with you. They can even cut the foam for you.

Good luck.

sadia
12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Thank you John, I will first explore Doug's suggestion and take it from there.
Regards
Sad

sadia
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you. I will give them a visit sometime soon :).

Regards
Sad

sadia
12-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Got couple more questions guys:

I see there are 2 bolts for locking altitude in G11. From what i read older G11 had only 1 bolt to secure it. I am bit consfused with the second bolt (the new one) Before adjusting the Altitude should i loosen both bolts or only the old one.

On King Rate: Should i only use it for imaging while the object is low or all the time when imaging?

Thank you in advance :)

Regards
Sad

JohnG
12-11-2009, 11:23 AM
You only need to loosen the upper bolt from both sides, do not overly loosen, just a little bit of tension is required, you then adjust your elevation using the large knob under the counterweight shaft, when you are satisfied, just nip it up slightly, if you are overly aggressive, you can shift your elevation significantly.

I don't use King Rate at all, other people may have other ideas, I don't see the need if you are autoguiding.

Cheers