PDA

View Full Version here: : 3rd eyepeice choice....opinions wanted!

norm
08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm planning on another eyepiece purchase towards XMAS. to compliment my existing line-up (10mm XW and 24Pan).
I an tossing up between the 17mm T4 Nagler, 20mm T5 Nagler or 20mm Pentax. I am also contemplating in mating these with a TV paracorr.

Some things to know:
1. don't wear glasses, but probably due for a check-up with the
Optomerist again (44yrs)
2. viewing is predominantly in Sydney surburbia, but will travel when
time permits to dark skies.
3. interested in dso's, globs, nebulaes.
4. Not fussed with high power.
5. scope 4.7 14.5" 1730mm FL
6. not interested in using barlows or powermates.
7. $ is not the issue for the above.
8. Open to other suggestions, but want to purchase quality.

I've used a 17mm Ethos a few times and whilst impressed (thanks Phil), I could lmake do without the 100 degrees field of view and 2ndly not ready to spend those $$$. I've read many reviews of the Naglers and most people seem impressed with both of them.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinion and thoughts.

PS: 21mm Ethos sounds tempting, but the $$$ scares me (well not me, its SWMBO ;)). Also after this purchase, it will be long drinks before another.

Love to hear peoples views, thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks Norm:thumbsup:

Waxing_Gibbous
09-11-2009, 03:01 AM
20mm Nagler.
Same FOV as the 24 Pan. but 1/3 higher magnification.
There are those that rave about the 22 Nagler (as well as the 17) and optically they are great. However, I find the "instajust" mechanism on the T4s a pain and the eye position to restrictive.
The 20mm Pentax gets rave reviews, and I see you have the 10mm. I find they have too MUCH eye relief and again, eye position seems too critical.
The Vixen LVW 22 is a wonderful EP but doesn't seem to be regularly stocked anywhere.
But "gun to head" I'd pick the 20mm Nagler. No blackouts, 4.4mm exit pupil, sharp over about 90%, excellent contrast and pretty light for an EP this size.
You might also consider a 13 or 16mm Nagler and/ or a 19mm Panoptic. I've just been out with 13N and 19P and for globs and smaller nebulae - what a combination!

Just my $.02
Peter

wavelandscott
09-11-2009, 03:22 AM
I's suggest looking in the 13 mm range and while the Ethos would be the first choice, the 13 mm T6 Nagler (I own) is no slouch either...

I've also got the 16 mm T5 which is one of my favorite eyepieces but for folks that need more eye relief it won't be a good choice...Having said that views are sharp and really enjoyable to me.

Two other eyepieces for consideration...

Pentax 14 mm XW...good eyepiece but shows some field curvature (I did not like it myself native)...however, people say that combining it with a Parracor cleans it up...I've not tried this but appreciate the opinons of those that have.

Denkmeier (spelling) 14 mm eyepieces (these were available from Daniel at Frontier Optics)...a really nice eyepiece (I bino with a pair). It performs on par with the big names but only has a 68 degree AFOV...Eye relief is 20 mm so great for those that wear glasses.

As always, I'll encourage you to get out and look through them all before you buy if you can as your impressions and opinions will likely vary from mine...

Good Luck...

casstony
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I prefer the longer eye relief of the type 4 naglers and XW's, partly to do with having deep eye sockets, but I also like never having to clean eyelash oil off the eyelens. I currently have a 22mm T4 and 13mm T1 and never have trouble with blackouts.

Paracorr entirely cleans up the edge of the 22 Nagler and 14 XW.

Paddy
09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I just replaced my 24 mm Pan with 17mm T4 Nagler as AFOV is not much different (.8 deg vs .9 deg for your scope). I like the ep very much and don't mind the "instadjust' thingy, but I've kept my 17mm LVW as I don't think the 17mm Nagler is very friendly for novices at public nights etc. So if I was in your shoes and was going to keep the Pan, maybe I'd go with Scott's thought of 13mm Nagler.

Paracorr - I think this is a great investment. Mine is never out of the focuser.

Only other thing I'd add to my calculations is that the paracorr will increase your magnification by 15%. Could be worth getting the Paracorr first and then seeing which FOV and mag you feel is missing.

Rodstar
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi Norm. If you are coming up to the Pony Club on Saturday night I will bring my 20T5 for you to try out.

As others have said, the 20T5 will be very similar to the 24 Panoptic in terms of the TFOV it shows, but obviously will provide a more immersive and contrasty view.

With your existing configuration, I would be looking around the 13/14mm focal length if I were you. You might consider the 14mm Explore Scientific 100 degree FOV EP if your budget won't stretch to the 13mm Ethos. As Scott has said, the 13T6 is a great choice as well. No doubt others will chime in about the merits of the 14XW as well.

At my slightly longer focal length scope, I have the 9T6, the 13E, a 20T5 and the 31T5. I am going to get a 2xPowermate so that the 13E can be used as a 6.5mm EP, and the 9T6 can be used as a 4.5mm EP. I think I will be happy to rest with that. At the moment I have a 7mm ortho to hold the fort at the higher mag end, but it is like looking through a straw compared with the other Ep's in my collection.

I suspect the premium range for you might be 21E, 13E and 8E. But then there is the cost of the divorce to consider....

GrahamL
09-11-2009, 08:27 PM
No glasses at all @ 44 years ? ,I'd grab a 16mm t5, my eyes took another hit before ordering this one at about that age and in a short time found the tight eye relief to much , great eyepiece and note Scotts useing a similar scope to you, I also think he might be a semi old bar***** like the rest of us which further ticks a few boxes :)

norm
09-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I'll take you up on that Rod this Saturday.:thumbsup:

As for glasses - yeah I'm due for a checkup, so I must commit to one soon.

Like many before me who have faced this dilemma, there are so many choices. It seems to be a personal thing as well, what works for some, not necessarily for others.

Thanks for the input guys.:) Keep them coming!

Thanks, Norm

barx1963
09-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I have the 13mm Nagler T6 which is brilliant, BUT the eyerelief is nothing special. Given that I wear glasees and have no dramas using it with glasses on.

wavelandscott
10-11-2009, 01:39 AM
I am becoming semi old....

bobson
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I have Pentax XW 10 mm and Nagler 17 mm. Since you have XW 10 mm you know how great this eyepiece is already.

Nagler 17 mm is great eyepiece too. According to many owners maybe the best Nagler ever made. I really love this eyepiece, the views are clear from edge to edge. Great for planets too, it barlows really well. I dare to say that it gives me sometimes better views on Jupiter than my XW 10 mm. Maybe when barlowed 2x it makes it little bit bigger (8.5 mm against XW 10).

cheers

ausastronomer
11-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi Norm,

I will bring along the 14mm and 20mm Pentax XW's and the 17mm Nagler plus a paracorr, so you can try all the options out.

My guess is the best option would be either a 13mm Nagler T6, 14mm Pentax XW or the 14mm Denkmeier. Considering the focal length of your scope and the fact you already have a 10mm Pentax XW and the 24mm Panoptic, I think you need something in the 13mm to 15mm range.

Cheers,
John B

norm
11-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi John,

That would be great and really appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers, Norm