PDA

View Full Version here: : Damaged Meade Giant Field Tripod

mtodman
07-11-2009, 07:07 AM
I decided to purchase a 2nd hand Meade Giant Field Tripod from a seller in Tasmania to mount my Losmandy Titan head on. I organised shipment and the tripod arrived last Thursday. When I removed the packing material, you can imaging my horror when I found that the cast aluminium leg brackets had snapped off from 2 of the legs (see attached pics).
I've submitted a damaged goods claim with the courier company but on reading the fine print, they indicate that they do not cover 2nd hand items so I don't hold out too much hope.
I'm therefore looking into getting it fixed locally. I am hoping that new brackets can be fabricated and welded back into place.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It will be carrying around 80 - 90 kg worth of equipment. Should I risk a repair (would welded joints be ok)?
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Does anyone know of a good welding shop in the Sydney area I could get this repaired?

Cheers
Matt

casstony
07-11-2009, 09:08 AM
If it can be professionally welded I imagine the weld will be stronger than the original, but you could test the repair by loading twice the normal payload on the tripod.

Hopefully the seller will help you out if the claim is rejected?

mtodman
07-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks Tony.
I just spoke with a guy on the Northern Beaches who can weld cast aluminium. He doesn't seem to think it will be a problem. As you say, it should be stronger than the original. It will set me back about $300 though (it's becoming an expensive tripod).
Cheers
Matt

Barrykgerdes
07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Have you spoken to Bintel. It may be possible to get a new top piece.
Looking at the pictures the top plate looks in quite poor condition. If the aluminium has started to crystalise it may not be worth repairing. I would not put a titan on anything but the most solid tripod.

If it was mine I would be salvaging the legs and building a new custom seat to hold the Titan. But I have the workshop facilities and materials to do this.

Barry

torana68
07-11-2009, 01:56 PM
If its a good quality aluminium casting then TIG welding will fix it, but it could need a jig made to hold the bits in the corect location, overall cost might be more than a new part? you could also have a new one cast if your happy doing a bit of accurate drilling etc. Dont go with MIG welding for this.
Roger