PDA

View Full Version here: : Skywatcher 8"Flex Dob Vs 8"Dob.

digitalplankton
05-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey Guys,

I am finally upgrading my scope and are looking at both the skywatcher 8"flex dob and the 8"Dob. just wondering if anybody has used either of these scopes (or both of them) and can reccomend which one is better. I am eyeing off the flex dob due to its size and portability.

Both of these are with in the price range that i wish to spend, and i dont want another refractor scope.

thanks for any suggestions.

sid.

Batfink
06-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Sid,
I have the 8" skywatcher flex and all I can say is I love it, it's easy to carry in two parts, holds collimation extremely well I have had no problems with dew on the secondary and never needed a shroud.
It only takes seconds to set up, I have a neighbour who has a solid 8" on a tripod of some kind, we went out together once and he was amazed at how quick I was set up and viewing, whilst he was still fiddling with his tripod.
You really can't go wrong.
But you will need a pillow to knee on, or a small chair of some sort, also a Telrad is a must in my books, it's all I use, I also just bought a 42mm 2" GSO EP, first impressions are great.

Peter.

wavelandscott
06-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I think these are two needs for most Dobsonian mounted reflectors...

A good adjustable height viewing chair (either home built or like the ones Bintel sells).

Telrad as a zero power finder...

Both enhance my enjoyment of the hobby.

bmitchell82
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
like i always say. if you are only going to be using it for viewing then go the flex, if you think you might want to slap a camera to it for ease of mounting, get a solid tube! no other differences! :) happy days

lacad01
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
What I've found helpful is plonking my dob on a solid wooden box which elevates it off the ground a good few feet, saving my back, knees and neck, not too hard to knock one up.:)
Definitely Telrad or other red dot finder is a bonus.
My personal pref would be the solid in case you get the photgraphic bug and decide to GEM mount it

mozzie
06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
i use my little 8" dob for camping holidays and star parties portability is great a minute or so to set up another minute to colliminate ive a telrad on it modified weight system near the primary mirror and i use naglers to view with and wow a great little scope i have a little stool i use to view with
mozzie

digitalplankton
06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
thanks for the input guys... this scope will be used for viewing only.. i've got a canon 5D and a separate tripod for taking pictures, so i think the flex dob will be the way to go!

thanks..

sid.