PDA

View Full Version here: : Finder Scope

picklesrules
25-10-2009, 11:03 PM
The finderscope on the 80ed is there a mod for a diagonal for it??

pgc hunter
26-10-2009, 08:17 PM
you could sell your straight thru model and buy a right-angle one.

mental4astro
26-10-2009, 11:56 PM
G'day Pickles,

Are you sure you want to go the right-angle route? I know the straight-through can be a pain at times, but the right angle one is trickier to use. I had toyed with the idea, then got the chance to use one on a mate's scope- I'll stick to my straight-through.

toryglen-boy
27-10-2009, 09:17 AM
wierd!

i would say its the other way around, i use a RA correct image finder on all of my scopes, and i wouldnt use anything else.

:lol:

pgc hunter
27-10-2009, 05:35 PM
^^ agreed....can't see myself breaking my neck everytime I want to find something! THe solution to the awkwardness of lining up a RA finder is a Telrad or some red dot finder to zero in on the intended target.

mental4astro
27-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi boys, no I don't think it's wierd at all. In using a straight-through finder you are using both eyes to centre on the object. The free eye finds the object and the 'scope' eye centres it. This is not something you can do with a right-angle version.

Yes, the are times it can be trying, but how long are you on the finder to cause it to crick your neck.

Yes, one other finder I find good to use is the red-spot-finder. Works on the same principle but without the magnified image.

Mind you, I have been using the straight through variety for more than 25 years. Twice I've used a right-angle finder and found it difficult to use- you can't see where you are.

Just my experience.

pgc hunter
27-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Right angles are no problem if you have a red dot sighting device. Use the red dot to find the general location of the object you're seeking, then use the RA to zero in on and/or starhop to the general location of the object. Very easy and saves your neck/back etc, but like everything else it takes a bit of practice to get used to.

Both my dobs have a telrad and RA finder....wouldnt have it any other way.

mental4astro
27-10-2009, 08:18 PM
PGC hunter, yes it means doubling up in using the RSF. I'm not complaining on that mode of use. Did it myself.

Here is how I've taken this:

1: An RSF mounted onto a small reflector.

2: Traditional straight-through's give an inverted image. Finally got a gut full of the mental gymnastics needed. Here I suppose the crick in the neck comes in.

My solution was a correct image straight-through made out of a sectioned pair of 7X50 binos. Even made the cross-hairs myself out of a single strand of wire from a telephone cable (0.1mm thick). The mount is just a take on the holder of a newtonian secondary mirror.

The other half of the binos contains the dioptic eyepiece which can be used in making another finder, should I want to, :question:.

I made it to replace a 10X40 straight-through finder on my Odyssey. My 'finder' is lighter than what it replaced.

I suppose it is the spirit of ATM: if what surrounds you doesn't fit, make it yourself.

hunterscopes
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
hello there
I have the same concern as you. I give you this to give you more information about the hunter scopes (http://www.hunters-scopes.com) with many types and functions.
Please have a look.:eyepop:

bmitchell82
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
great little solution alex! :)

pjphilli
10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi - I am a keen right-angler myself. Recently I adapted an old right angle to my Telrad which is also a great neck saver. Cheers Peter

barx1963
10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I have used both Right Angle and Straight Through in last year. Both have pros and cons RA saves the neck, is easier to use with star maps. but straight through matches the view in the scope!

I guess it is what you get used to, the RA took a coupla weeks but now I am foine with it.