PDA

View Full Version here: : 5mW green lasers

Jazza11
25-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Are these lasers aloud in queensland i do get a fair few planes fly over my area but i would turn it off when they are around but overal are they illegal???

erick
26-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Suggest that you call your local police?

AdrianF
26-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I have contacted both the local police,and on their advice,contacted the weapons branch in Brisbane 2 weeks ago and as far as they are concerned they are legal.
When I spoke to both the local police and weapons branch they where unaware that any restrictions where in place in Queensland on the sale or ownership of lasers.

Adrian

erick
26-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Lucky banana-benders. If > 1mW, they are prohibited weapons in Victoria and a permit is required from the Commissioner of Police to possess and use one here.

Search previous threads on IceinSpace for more information.

bmitchell82
26-10-2009, 06:32 PM
when was the last time you looked eric, i know they are starting to relax the laws regarding laser pointers and especially if you are a member of a registered organization. 5mW would be ample sufficient unless you are pointing things out to large groups.

I run a good quality 1mW pointer on my scope and i find it perfect as you cant see it more than 5 meters away and it only really affects a image if you are on the same target.

erick
26-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I haven't heard of any relaxation of Victorian law.

Is your 1mW a greenie? I've seen mixed comments on how effective a 1mW green is.

I've only had one and that is a 5mW and it is perfect for what I want.

mithrandir
26-10-2009, 09:01 PM
I've seen a 10mW green used as a quick finder for a GEM. It was even visible aligning a full moon. Works really well for public viewing nights so the people in the queue can get an idea what they'll be looking at.

You really need to check your state laws. NSW allows them for member of astro societies. At some point they might decide 10mW is too big for even them.

marki
26-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I use a 5mw green laser and its fine. Not sure why you would need more? Sounds like the QLD gov't are at about the same stage as the WA mob. As long as you don't point it at anyone it is not a problem. Always check with the authorities first though.

Mark

bartman
26-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Jazza, I just saw an ad in Aust Sky & Telescope from Sirius Optics and they sell 20 and 30 mW green lasers. A little note at the bottom says ' There are no permits or other restrictions on owning these laser pointers in Queensland'.
Hope that helps
Bartman

AstroJunk
26-10-2009, 11:05 PM
QLD Police consulted widely, and took a very pragmatic stance by recognising the many legitimate uses of green lasers. However, if you are at the side of the road swinging the thing about with traffic around, you had better think up a good reason as they will nick you in a moment, astronomer or not!

It is the Smart State, don't you know;)

(PS I have a spare one if you are interested. I use a 30mw for large groups and full moon sky - but it is way too bright for a dark sky!!)

saturn c
26-10-2009, 11:26 PM
they are lejit :thumbsup:

toryglen-boy
27-10-2009, 09:20 AM
i have a 40mw laser (bought in QLD) and after my initial terror of it, every time i spark the thing up i feel like a Sith Lord.

:)

erick
27-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Point it at Eta Carina, Duncan - we want that sucker to BLOW! :D

toryglen-boy
27-10-2009, 10:27 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bmitchell82
27-10-2009, 04:39 PM
the 1 mW one for me is perfect. i have it mounted just under the SW finder. having a 10" newt on the eq6 sometimes is very tall its over 6ft tall closing in on 7ft off the ground so i just stand behind the scope and line up my target, then i can swap to the EP and use the green beam as a retical but the good thing is its just visable and doesn't wash the ep out. further to that it acts as an illuminator for the cross hairs on the finder scope. all in all is mint. if i was showing people then a 5-10mW would be better suited.!

Rod66
27-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Its true there are no laws prohibiting the use of these laser pointers in QLD. I use a 10mw and its perfect for alignment of my scope.
Of course use it illegally by pointing at airplanes and things, expect a call from the police pretty damn quick.

ChrisM
27-10-2009, 07:35 PM
As far as I can recall from the relevant Victorian Regulations on prohibited weapons, a laser in Victoria is illegal if it is > 1 mW AND battery-operated AND hand-held. Interpret that how you like!

The bottom line is responsible use.

Cheers, Chris