PDA

View Full Version here: : The Pier (Finally)

Exfso
04-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Well it is finally finished. Many thanks go to Paul aka Rumples Riot for his input and assistance, would have been up the creek without him. It isnt going to move, 22 bags of premix concrete plus 2 more of cement for added strength has made it a rather solid base. My JMI motorised focuser attachment for the Tak arrives next week so I wont have to touch a thing now other than to change eyepieces etc. Once again thanks very much Paul.

RB
04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey that looks awesome Exsfo. Glad it's worked out and it looks very sturdy.
Which JMI focuser did you order BTW?

Also how did you go with the collimation issue, all is well I trust?

Cheers.

PS Well done too Rumples

:)

Exfso
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I ordered the JMI shown on this page for the 2.7". I checked with them to make sure it would fit my TOA130 and they confirmed it.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=105-175-176-3399

Regarding the collimation, I used Paul's Pico Star and it looked spot on, so I can hopefully put that one to rest. He knows a lot more about scopes than I, and in his opinion the collimation is spot on according to the Pico Star test. I sure was not looking forward to the idea of having to send it all the way back to Japan. I got one quote of just under $400 one way, mind you insurance was a kicker.

:scared:

ving
04-11-2005, 04:50 PM
sweet setup! :)

RB
04-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Glad to hear it's working out.

h0ughy
04-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I like that, any other photo's of the rest of the shed??

[1ponders]
04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Nice setup Peter.

Is that a genuine article Losmandy pier on top or have you had it made up? If its been made up its a fantastic match.

A question about the four adjustment bolts. I would have thought that having the bolts so long that you might expect to experience some flexure in the pier. I'm interested in your reasoning behind having them so long?

Exfso
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
That is a genuine Losmandy pier top. The bolts are only about 2" between both adjustment plates, and there is no flexure at all. I do want to fill the pier with sand though

[1ponders]
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks Peter. I might have to look at one of those in the next 6 months or so. Did you pick it up through Peter at atscope or from the US?

rumples riot
04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Hehehe, I wondered when this would hit the forums. It is pretty beefy thats for sure. Lots of bags of Concrete. When I first saw the hole I said to Peter, just make the hole a bit bigger. When I cam back to help him poor the concrete, it was twice the size. bloodie enormous. There is nearly a Ton of concrete siting in the hole. No chance of any movement.

No problems Peter, it was all my pleasure. I love doing this sort of stuff. Glad it works for you. BTW got your message.

I think you need to show where that pier goes to under the floor though.

Exfso
04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I ordered it through our local Losmandy dealer here in SA, cost $130AUD from memory. It did take 6 mths to arrive however, honestly, Losmandy are very slack getting stuff overseas in my opinion. I had to send a rather dirty email to Scott Losmandy to get things moving. But it is all beautifully machined and that is all that matters.

[1ponders]
04-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I know what you mean about them not getting a hurry on. I've been waiting since the middle of sept for my new mount :mad:

ballaratdragons
04-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Very Very nice Exfso.

You do realise that Paul only did such a great job because he wants it! Don't turn your back for too long LOL! :rofl:

Exfso
05-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah, he is talking about a new scope with possibly a Losmandy mount. Unfortunately I trust him. All joking stuff of course. I think he is tossing around the Mewlon thing. I think I have started the Tak virus

rumples riot
05-11-2005, 01:47 AM
Its eitherr a mewlon 250 or a Celestron 9.25. However, I have no designs on anything though Ken. Sssh your giving my plan away.