PDA

View Full Version here: : Seben Super Zoom Eyepiece

p3nn
12-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi Guys

I'm considering picking up a Seben Super Zoom 8 - 24mm eyepiece. Anyone know if they're any good. Obviously one would save swapping in and out eyepieces
:shrug:

bojan
12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Not sure if my post is applicable, but I think the design is similar to my Ortoscopic zoom 8-24mm that I have since '80-ies.
It is good (sharp), but very narrow FOV (30-60° or so), so good for Moon and planets (however, I am using it mostly at 8mm, because of FOV of course... all in all not really very useful).

p3nn
12-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Bojan

Thx for the reply. I'm gathering then that maybe it'd be better to get a small number of descent wide angle eyepieces then if the FOV is indeed like you think. I may see if I can find the email addy for seben and query the FOV of the piece

p3nn
12-10-2009, 09:42 AM
OK, just got the skinny in the eyepiece FOV of 60 at 8mm and 40 at 24 mm. So basically planetary/terrestrial viewing it seems

erick
12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, not as narrow as poor Galileo had to contend with, but these 8-24 zooms do have a narrow FOV. The 40 deg at 24mm is very noticeable if you have experience with 68deg or more.

But the zoom is convenient to quickly frame an object of interest - especially when you have excited public breathing down your shirt collar.

Some people give the Seben a good wrap - especially value for money. I was given one which I use for public viewing of Moon etc. It rattles - make a good instrument in a Salsa band - but it works sufficiently.

One of the better 8-24 zooms does have a somewhat wider FOV. I cannot remember which make.

If you search "Zoom" and "eyepiece" you will find a few threads in these fora.

p3nn
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Thx Eric

will do the search and see what I find

mswhin63
12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I unfortunately do not give them a good wrap. Mine is one of those sit in the cupbaord type products. The tube is fine, the mirror is OK but the rest is just plain rubbish.

I even had a guy in an observing session have a go, alway so good to comment about most low to mid cost products couldn't even use mine.

I am though one thought on Seben. one star

p3nn
12-10-2009, 11:37 AM
So far the best I've seen re FOV would be the Baader Hyperion zoom eyepiece. But at approx $400 for a 8 - 24mm @ 50 - 68 deg fov would burn a significant hole in my wallet :sadeyes:

I'll look around some more to see what else can be found. So far it's looking like I'd go the way of multiple eyepieces to keep an even fov

Rhino1980
12-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I am curious about where Seben is manufactured. Some internet sights claim it is German but I suspect it is Chinese? Is is Synta or GSO gear or something rebadged?

Cheers

erick
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
It must be Chinese.

hendo
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi James,

I recently bought a Baader zoom from Andrew's communications brand new for $279 + delivery. The first zoom I received had a couple of manufacturing defects in the lens coating and a bit of rattle (annoying but not quite ready for Eric's salsa band!). Fortuntately, I received fantastic service from Cameron and Luke at Andrew's and they replaced it straight away and visually checked the replacement eyepiece to be sure it was free from defects and rattles before sending it to me! As such, I can wholeheartedly recommend buying from them. :thumbsup:

As for the eyepiece itself, I really like it but I am a beginner so I am easily impressed! I really love being able to change magnification without changing eyepieces. Whereas the reduced FOV as you zoom out doesn't bother me (yet!) but I can certainly see how it might bother some. Obviously, it just comes down to personal preference. As with all these things, it would probably be best if you are able to wait and have a look through one first before buying e.g. at a star party.

mswhin63
13-10-2009, 01:13 PM
It is rebadged Chinese I think but it is highly likely it is manufactured under licence by SEBEN. This means they can alter the specs to save money. Very similar operation to the early days of Palsonic TV and other Kmart, Target brand electronic products.

All I can say is that it views are terrible, mostly the problems are the lenses and the focuser. I even have problems using Plossl I bought from York. I am have trouble buying a Crayford for it as they usually do not have a Barlow inserted. (Long Focal length short tube).

Saturnine
14-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi James & All

I bought a 24 - 8 Seben Zoom eyepiece last time our $ was high, mainly to use in my " travel scope " a 100 x f6.5, so that I didn't have to worry about carrying my better eyepieces around. At 24mm the apparent field is a little narrow but still usable and at 8mm the field is as good as most plossels and sharp almost to the edge of the field. The focus needs to be tweaked as you change focal lengths but not by much, a mil. or so, not a big deal. The main thing is that the view through the eyepiece is relatively abberation free, stars are sharp and light threwput is good.
It's not the worlds best eyepiece and doesn't try to be, but as a cheap, versatile unit that gives a range of focal lengths and wont cause undue angst if anything happens to it, it's fine and does it really matter where it is sourced if the quality is acceptable.
Hope this may help.

Kind Regards
Jeff

erick
14-10-2009, 08:36 PM
A couple of zooms have just come up for sale in the Classifieds. I wanted a Vixen and one is available there. Couldn't get a Vixen at the time so I picked up a Williams Optics second hand instead. Happy with that (and have the Seben in my public viewing kit as well).

p3nn
15-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Thx guys for the feedback. As it happens I have a vixen eyepiece (20mm) and was wondering why it seems to have such a narrow field of view compared to my other EP's. Turns out it only has a 50 deg FOV and as such gets less use than the H20 which I'm finding is giving a good crisp view despite what is oft said re these EP's around the place. I now understand why some don't like that narrow FOV. I did see another possible way for this, e.g. just like there are filterwheels for the cams it appears the are eyepiece wheels which would give the same basic functionality but with whater EP's you have at hand.One such on ebay is

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380130305010&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can even see something like this making my imaging a lil easier, e.g. 20mm in one adapter, 12.5 in the next, cam in the 3rd. Initial aligment with the 20, swap to the 12.5 and recenter, swap to the cam. All without removing anything. I'm still deciding but will likely give the whell a go me thinx

mswhin63
15-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I feel the wheel looks a bit cheap and plastic looking (Notice the noylon lock nut). I don't think it would stand the rigors after a while. Feedback on Ebay can only be left once. There is no way to leave alternate comments later.

p3nn
16-10-2009, 11:03 AM
That's a possibility. It does say it's of plastic construction but I think the idea is a good one. Might try to convince one of the guys in maintenance to make one for me. Or maybe I can get a lil time during my breaks to do it?