PDA

View Full Version here: : Gemini startup issues

[1ponders]
07-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Can someone offer an explaination as to what might be going on here. When we start up the Gemimi for the first time in an evening it starts fine. But if we turn it off and then try to restart, the light comes on but there is no beep and the handcontroller doesn't come on.

Thanks

peter_4059
07-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Perhaps something is getting too hot or the conditions (moisture maybe) could be impacting a connection. How long are you leaving it powered down for before you re-start? Have you tried a long break before restarting?

[1ponders]
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Anything up to 15 minutes or more Peter. But it's unlikely something is getting hot. To cut a long story short, I started it up for the first time tonight in a long time (this problem has occurred before), reset factory defaults (for a variety of reasons), put in the correct setting for this area and then turned it off. Max on time around 3-4 min. Turned it back on and the red light lit up and that was it, no beep, nothing on the hand paddle.

However its a moot point now. I sent the RA motor away to get what I thought was the problem repair only to find I still had the same problem so i'll be sending the whole kit and kaboodle away to be looked at.

KenGee
08-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Are you using an auto guider? Me does this at times, what I do is unplug the autoguider port at the gemini end and turn it off and on again and she works fine. Then just plug the autoguider back in. Try this.

[1ponders]
08-10-2009, 12:14 AM
nope, no auto guider Ken.

allan gould
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Not the $@4$@q$%@!! 3 volt battery again?

[1ponders]
08-10-2009, 01:20 PM
No Allan, this is more serious I think

JohnG
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi Paul

Did you ever check the Handcontroller cable like I suggested some time ago, the symptoms you describe are similar to what I had once, changed the HC cable and all was well, some sort of intermittent fault in the cable.

Cheers

[1ponders]
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Cheers John I'll look into it. I'd forgotten about a lot of things :lol: I'll be sending it away anyway, I'm over it now. I've had the motor and encoders done and the original problem is still there.