PDA

View Full Version here: : EP dilemma.

StarGazing
03-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi guys,

I have recently started to upgraded my EP's for my 10" dob(had the generic 25 & 10 ml ep's). My first purchase has been the type 4Nagler 17ml which I am over the moon about ;), talk about living the dark ages before the Nagler came along. I have a 2x Powermate on layby, so my dilemma is that I have freed up some $$$$$ and I am able to buy other EP's. :D:D:D
I was thinking that I should not get a Powermate and maybe go for two EPs. Maybe a 10 and 6ml. Not sure which one's and what combo could serve me best ?????. Heard the 10ml Ethos is nice ?. Happy to surf the skyes with the 17ml Nagler. I feel comfortable with FoV it gives me. Any suggestions ????

Alex

wavelandscott
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Glad you are enjoying the new glass...

I won't answer your question directly but try and help you answer it...

What do you like about the new eyepiece? Be as descriptive as you can.

There are a few different ways you could move forward depending on your own preferences (Ethos, Nagler, Pentax)...all are great but each is different...Need lots of eye relief get a Pentax, Want the largest FOV pick up an Ethos, Balance of your scope with heavy eyepieces is an issue, get a Nagler T6...etc. etc.

As I usually recommend, try before you buy if possible...

StarGazing
03-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Scott, thanks for the reply. The things I like about the Nagler is its ability to provide a crisp image from edge to edge, also the FOV was most pleasing. It made sense to me that I could get more mag and a bigger FOV from a 17ml Nagler as much as FOV as a 26ml Plossil.
Generally I would use a 10ml Plossil with a 2x Barlow to look at Planets, but the image was always poor. The rest of the time I would us the 26 ml Plossil with or without a 2x Barlow to look at DSO's.
To be honest Scott my interests are DSO's, woul love to look at galaxies, Nebula's and the like as oppossed to planetary.
My other problem is the weight of an extra Balow or Powermate, with the Nagler 17 mls on its own the scope balances well, my fear is that if I add more I would forever be Fiddling around with counter weight issues instead of viewing. I dont want to waste too much time doing that at all. More time looking through an EP than fiddling around.
So maybe 3 to 4 quality eye pieces should do the trick ?????
Good to have your opinion on this.
Alex :thanx:

wavelandscott
04-10-2009, 01:00 AM
How much eye relief do you need?

I agree with your thoughts in that in my opinon it is more enjoyable to have 2-3 really high quality eyepieces and use them often.

Televue has some really helpful suggestions as to good magnification ranges on their site http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=221

If you have not read through the other material on the site it is worth a read...of course their choices will point you toward TV but that aside I found it a good source of eyepiece terms and philosophy...

As you know (or will learn soon) Maximum FOV will come with the Ethos eyepieces (there is also the Explore Scientific range of new 100 degree FOV at a lower price...they are good by user accounts but not quite in the Ethos league although some may be hard pressed to see the difference)

Lighter weight will be the Nagler T6 series (I've owned/used the 13 and 11 to very good effect)...but some feel that eye relief (15 mm I think) is a smidge too short to use them with glasses)...

Fun challenge...

StarGazing
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your input Scott much appreciated. I guess my best bet would be to check out as much as I can before I go and plunge in the deep end.
Cheers Alex.:)

wavelandscott
05-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm not trying to be evasive in answering your question...the reality is that there is no single "right answer" and that you will find that the set of features that are important to you will make the difference.

I'll climb on my soap box for a moment...

In my opinion, the good folks at Pentax and Televue consistently make some of the best most consistent high end glass, but I have no doubt there are others that I am not as familiar with that can make good stuff too...

I own and use a number of both company's (PEntax and Televue) products and find them enjoyable but I also know that I prefer some eyepieces within their respective line-ups to others...

I've learned through some trial and error what characteristics "I" prefer and I tend to make purchases with those things in mind. While I can tell you all about my preferences, they may not be important to you at all.

For example, I do not wear glasses and don't mind in many instances a little less eye relief than others...and consequently the 16 mm T5 Nagler is one of my favorite eyepieces sharp as a tack and wonderful (to me)...having said that, many people dislike (despise) this eyepiece due to lack of eye relief...

When you are looking at the "top end of town", it really is all good glass but the designers and manufacturers make different trade-offs (you can't make a perfect optic) to reach their preferred performance goals some of which are mutually exclusive...

It is very easy in a post to tell you to run out and buy all of the Ethos or Pentax (insert brand name here) eyepieces and they will all be very good at what they do but that may or may not work for you and your viewing preferences an style...as you should say in almost any eyepiece comparison and or recommendation YMMV (your mileage may vary)...

Clear Skies!

Waxing_Gibbous
05-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I've recently bought a big dob and find the range of useful eyepieces for different objects, much larger than for my 4" refractor. The only things I have against barlows is the fiddling around in the dark switching from EP to EP and the fact that they effectively halve your eye-relief.
Of course with multiple EP's, you're dealing with multiple $$$$$, but I'm leaning that way for the flexibility.
Try this site:
www.telescope-simulator.com (http://www.telescope-simulator.com)
It gives a fair idea of what different FL eyepiece / telescope combinations will look like. Not 100% accurate, but close enough.
Good Luck,:)
Peter

alfi
05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
hi
i would have taken a look at skywatchers nirvana series of eyepieces, if you are looking for new ones. the prices is good. 82 deg FOV.
they are getting some good reviews, they are the same as WO uwan EP.
i have ordered the 7, 16 and 28mm versions myself, but not got them yet.

alfi

JethroB76
05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
I've never had a problem like this, AFAIK barlows may increase ER, not reduce it, especially on longer focal length EPs

GrahamL
05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
10 mm xw .. and you could probably live with this combo for many years . :)

DavidU
05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Cool, I have never heard of these. Any one in AU carry them?

alfi
06-10-2009, 03:23 AM
hi

the WO uwan is the same as the nirvana, and it looks like orion also have a version http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=eyepieces/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=A0090.
im in norway, so i dont know what is available in aus.

alfi

mental4astro
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
I've only seen them in UK web sites. They DO look identical to the WO's. The WO UWAN's are cheaper here in Oz from Andrews than the Skywatchers from the UK.

alfi
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
hi
they are exactly the same, only rebadged, the orions to.

alfi